Alfred L
msg tools
According to the rules, the overlord must declare which lieutenant is carrying which relic during the setup step of each quest.

On the forums, it also mentions the following quote, with an example being Cardinal's Plight Encounter 2 where the lieutenant isn't placed on the board until the middle of the encounter.
Quote:
If the lieutenant is present in the quest but not yet placed (due to quest rules) relics with effects not related to movement/actions/whatever of that lieutenant may be used (such as Bones of Woe).

In the Finale, there are lieutenants that appear in encounter 2, but not encounter 1. If the overlord declares Bones of Woe on a lieutenant that is only used in encounter 2, is it also in effect in encounter 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would say no, personally.
It's a subtle point, but in Cardinal's Plight E2, Merrick Farrow is part of the encounter (ie: he's listed as present in the Monsters section) but his figure doesn't get placed on the map until halfway through. So he's in play, but not on the map, therefore he can use a relic.

You can equip him with any relic, of course, but if you choose one that requires him to have a declared board position in order to be used, then obviously he can't use it until he's on the map. Choosing something like Bones of Woe means you can use the relic even before Merrick appears.

However, in the Finale example (Man Who Would be King, for example), Merrick Farrow [may be] present in E2, but he's not present at all in E1. He's not listed in the monsters section for E1. In this case, you can't actually declare a relic for Merrick Farrow in E1. He's not in play at all, on or off the map. You have to wait until set up of E2 before choosing his relic.

This gets confusing when you read in the rulebook that a relic must be declared for the duration of the quest (not encounter, but quest.) This means LTs can't change their relic between encounters. If an LT doesn't appear until E2, you don't choose his relic until E2, and you will be unable to choose any relics that were chosen in E1 when the time comes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that the wording in the rulebook is an oversight, and Relics are meant to be declared when setting up an Encounter, not a Quest. I don't know if this has been verified or not.

If so, you wouldn't be able to declare Bones of Woe on any Encounter 2 Lieutenants that are not in Encounter 1 as well, so it would make the question moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on what Stephen wrote above

with just an exception
Stewi wrote:
If an LT doesn't appear until E2, you don't choose his relic until E2, and you will be unable to choose any relics that were chosen in E1 when the time comes.

Why not?
I always do that. I choose the relics for all the LT's who will be present on either encounter at the quest setup phase.
I simply put the LT/relic cards aside when I build the encounter map if the LT is not listed in the monster group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.