Rick Galli
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
The 4th Hussars Do Not Ride Donkeys!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the opportunity to play a playtest game of WBC: The Board Game. Originally I did not have much interest in this game. It's a game about playing games at a convention that I have never and probably will never attend. However, Bryan Collars assured me that it was fun and persuaded me to play. It turns out that not only is this a very fun game, but it's a very elegant design. The mechanics are a fusion of worker placement, catch-up, dice, & card play that have been blended together to create an intuitive, entertaining, and quick-playing design. Our 4-player game lasted about three hours, and probably would have gone quicker except that I knew nothing about the rules when I sat down to play and had to learn as I went.

The theme is probably an issue for some players, and the game will definitely be more interesting to those who have attended WBC and who are familiar with the personalities who regularly attend. However, this knowledge is not essential and the elegant design & strong game-play make up for the theme. If you have never attended WBC, but have attended other game conventions, many of the game-play elements will seem familiar. While this is clearly a niche product, it is worth checking out, especially if you are a WBC regular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At WBC last week, I was able to look at the playtest components, which gave the impression that it would be fun. Unfortunately I couldn't get the block of time to play it.

However, my 16-yr son, who has been coming with me to WBC for a few years now did get a brief chance at a demo. He thought it was fun and could see that it would be so for those that have had a convention experience. Sorry I don't have more details, but I thought I'd at least pass this on.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sal.

I have a Vassal module that I've been using for distance playtesting. Let me know if you are interested in a game and I'll set something up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NinetySixer wrote:
Thanks Sal.

I have a Vassal module that I've been using for distance playtesting. Let me know if you are interested in a game and I'll set something up.

Once I have some more Vassal experience, I'll be in touch. I'm only in my first Vassal game now. Then, of course, there is the issue of time. Life is so darn busy.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.