Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not too sure what to get (mostly play coop and thematic stuff as of late.)

My want list is probably missing quite a few titles I probably would want to own as I am not completely up on things that aren't flavor of the month kind of games.

Anyway any input would be welcome I usually play 2 or 3 player but don't want a game that is only 2 player.

The top things I am thinking about getting

Citrus (looks like out of my price range)
Sanssouci (Looks like Unavailable)
Bruges
Bruxelles 1893
Euphoria
Vinhos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you rate Power Grid pretty high. You would desalt like Age of Industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanssouci is in stock here:

http://www.timewellspentgames.com/html/gamepage.php?id=5409

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad is a good coop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not on your list, but Istanbul, the Kennerspiel des Jahres is quite a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruges is probably better with 2, but Citrus is really nice and one I am after so if you can get a hold of it within the price then go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

For 2-3 players? I've heard it's awful with 2 and only okay with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

For 2-3 players? I've heard it's awful with 2 and only okay with 3.

I dont have Age of Industry. I have Brass. Age of Industry is just a kinder/gentler version of Brass. There is an "official" 2 player variant for Brass in the forums where certain cards are removed from the deck and certain locations on the map are covered (just cover them with the cards that are removed. I have played the 2 player variant and I find it to be excellent. The advantage to Age of Industry is that there are expansion maps. There is an expansion map designed especially for 2 players. I have a feeling the comments you heard were for the base game map. I have also heard the expansion maps were actually better. But I will vouch for the 2 player version of Brass is a very good game.

BTW: I think its the "Japan/Minnesota Exp #1 for Age of Industry that works quite well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Power Grid/Euphoria, you might like the Manhattan Project ... we played it last night with four and it was fun, could be okay with two and probably a lot faster. Three would be fine.

Euphoria is great, +1 to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
My GF and I have played Age of Industry 2P close to 30 times now.
Japan and the fan-made Great Lakes in particular are excellent for 2 players. The other maps, Germany Excluded, are great 2 player maps.
I've posted a description of the 2P variant we used in the 'files' section in Age of Industry.

Other than that, don't expect Age of Industry to scratch the same itch as Power Grid. There are no auctions to start off. It's basically a land-grab where you're balancing cheap industry tokens that are easy to get a hold of but worth less VP with expensive tokens that require a lot of money and ressources, but will make you a LOT of VP if you can manage the build and the trades. You'll need an infrastructure that will cost you time and you need resources to build that infrastructure and you can either get those resources from your opponents who are building cheap industries or you can make them yourself, costing you time and money if you're going for a big-industries type of strategy.

Rails are important because you can block your opponent off but rails requires resources.
Resources give you good VP for your money, but not very many VP which means that in the late game you're better off with expensive industries.
Expensive industries require rails and resources and so most of Age of Industry revolved around acquiring as much land as possible, while balancing the books and the gains your opponent gets, while blocking their way, extending the possible times they are going to get paid for their investments (blocking ships' resources with an Iron Works close by is my GF's new favorite tactic).

When played well, Age of Industry always comes down to the wire and winning with a single VP or two is not uncommon in a 44 VP game. You have to stay sharp constantly.

The 2 player game is my favorite way to play Age of Industry to be honest, because the third player can introduce a little bit of kingmaking while 4 players can make for a quite chaotic experience, making the colored cards very VERY valuable.

In other words:
Age of Industry offers a very good economic game that poses very different challenges depending on the amount of players you have. Age of Industry is basically an 'engine' and all the available maps make use of that engine in various, very different, and very interesting ways.

No two maps feel totally alike in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.