BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Openclipart commercial use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all artworks on Openclipart free to use, even for commercial purpose?
Can a designer use these artworks for a free-PnP game? or a game selling on The Game Crafter?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Senki
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to have a pretty clear link at the bottom of the page you cited, along with an email to try if you have questions regarding usage. Have you tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew NA
msg tools
Well, I can't give legal advice but it seems pretty clear if you click on the "Public Domain" link on the bottom: https://openclipart.org/share

Allow me to quote it:
All Clipart are Released into the Public Domain.:
"To the extent fully possible, each artist at Openclipart releases all rights to the images they share at Openclipart. The reason is so that there is zero friction in using and sharing images authors make available at this website so that each artist might also receive the same benefit in using other artists clipart totally for any possible reason."

Unlimited Commercial Use:
"Lots of image projects use confusing words such as images being royalty free, then you read the fine-print and find there are fees or limitations on how you might use an image. We try to make it clear that you may use all clipart even for unlimited commercial use. We believe that giving away our images is a great way to share with the world our talents and that will come back around in a better form."

There is also a link in there for more scenarios and questions. You can contact them if you're still worried. I will say that just because this seems to be so open doesn't mean all of the Public Domain sites are. Many Public Domain sites use different licensing where you have to give credit, some you have to look icon by icon because they all fall under different licensing realms within Public Domain, etc. This particular site seems about as open as you get at first glance IMO.
-Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say: find the original artist and get their permission, irregardless of what the "middleman" says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I'd say: find the original artist and get their permission, irregardless of what the "middleman" says.

This, really, hard. But I think it's the best way too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!

I send a mail to openclipart and each authors as well.

This is reply from openclipart:

Quote:
thanks for asking.

> Can I use your all images on openclipart for my board game in form of
> free-print and play or even selling it?

Yes you can, including selling, including any commercial activity you like.
You can also modify clipart, and you don't need to credit Openclipart or the artist.

> Do I need to ask the authors of these images for permission?

No - they all gave this permission already when they uploaded
their clipart. That's the point of Openclipart.

If you do want to return us a favor, I have an idea for you: Please
tell your friends about Openclipart! That's very important for our
future.
Thanks, and good luck with your game,
Wolfgang

I asked about several authors on the website and all them is ok with it, these are their reply:

Quote:
Enjoy the pictures! I'm glad that you found those useful.

When your games is done, i would really appreciate a picture ;-)

Quote:
All cliparts on openclipart.org are public domain.
Therefore, it is absolutely no problem using the cliparts from openclipart.org for your board game. Including my.

Have fun

Quote:
Sure, you can use them all. I'm glad you like it. Please let me see you game someday. Cheer!

Quote:
yes, you can use it, no problem.

Quote:
Of course! That's the whole point- right? I would like to see the finished product. Best of luck!

Quote:
No problem, help yourself! Would love to see the final product if you use any!

Sound very positive, right?
So this is a great news for our designer that openclipart DEFINITELY is free to use, even for commercial product!'

Good luck guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.