Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm working on this game for which I've finally decided on the theme: Dork debates. The players will be Geeky Master Debaters, going around their town to various nerd-hotspots, to debate the virtues of various fictional heroes: ninja vs pirates, vikings vs cowboys, vampires vs mummies, that kind of stuff, sadly not going into any RL IP.

I'm looking for help in brainstorming some of the fluff. I want the game to be very tongue in cheek, a bit over the top. For example, the players can go to a location known as Debate Dojo, and learn new debating techniques. I mean, going to various sites in a campaign to debate ninjas vs pirates should give you an idea of the tone of the game.

I have 5 locations, which so far are:
- Comic Book Store;
- Library;
- Arcade;
- Museum;
- Model train stores.

I have 4 characters, for who I need dorky names. So far:
- Leonard;
- Reginald;
- Melvin;
- Petunia.

I need 7 debates, each featuring 2 fictional character-types, and infringing no IP. So far:
- Ninjas vs Pirates;
- Samurais vs Vikings;
- Knights vs Cowboys;
- Vampires vs Mummies;
- Dragons vs Superheroes;
- Mechas vs Dinosaurs;
- Telepath vs Super-Soldier.

There will also be 3 types of "audiences", each impressed by different argument-types. So far:
- Scientific evidence;
- Literature review;
- Rule of Cool.

Finally, the "powers" will be represented by cards. These cards can represent anything from items to arguing techniques. These, so far, have remained title-less. I don't want to go into fallacy-lingo, because that would take away from the theme.

Anyone has idea, or comments, on any of these categories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe scratch mummies in favor of werewolves? Mechas & Dragons seem like a more natural/balanced matchup ... At least as far as you can apply those two terms in this context! Last thought on categories: dinosaurs seem awkward amongst the other groups; I'd suggest swapping them out for demigods or heroes of legend to face off against superheroes.

As far as debate techniques, I think it'd be fun to incorporate logical fallacies as well - you NEVER see those in this kind of debate, right? Maybe as a higher-risk ploy that can cost you if the opponent is able to call you on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.