Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be short.

I leave for Thailand in two weeks, and I'm looking to bring a decent two player game for my girlfriend and myself to play during intermittent down periods (waiting on trains, while flying, etc).

This game looks like it has a pretty small footprint. Just a row of cards, besides those in your hands, and perhaps a deck to draw from to replenish the row.

I doubt it would fit on a single fold out tray, but across two? (turbulence permitting).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently was sent to Germany for training for my company. I brought two games: Friday and Jaipur.

Yes Jaipur has a small footprint, just don't forget about the tokens. It worked great at an outdoor table at the hotel my coworkers and I were staying at. I would have played it at the airport, but I could never seem to find a table to play it on. I fear you might have the same problem, unless you are at a table is some sort of restaurant.

Now for the question of playing on a plane tray table. I brought Friday just for this reason, as the flight was 8 hour long. However, that trey table is smaller then you think, and unless you sitting in first class, you get packed in there pretty tight. I was also sitting in the tail of the plane, so it was pretty bumpy the whole trip. So the thought of having my game bits fall off the trey, and then trying to retrieve them seemed pretty daunting to me, so I just watched some in flight movies, and read a book.

Sorry if I dashed any of your hopes for playing some games on a plane, but with those tokens you need to play Jaipur, it would stink to lose or damage any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plane? Maybe, but it might be cramped. However, with its small box and footprint, you can certainly between flights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Times Square is my favorite plane (and a whole lot of other places) game. I love Jaipur, but don't think I'd ever try it on a plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kpuff wrote:

Sorry if I dashed any of your hopes for playing some games on a plane, but with those tokens you need to play Jaipur, it would stink to lose or damage any of them.

No, honesty is what I sought, so I thank you for the truth (regardless of how brutal it might be ).

We had originally thought to ditch the coins and replace them with units of Thai coinage, but perhaps playing games in public using real money might attract the wrong kind of attention (or just be fiddly).

Thank all three of you for your perspectives. I'll look into Time Square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine spreading out Jaipur, among other seemingly small footprint games on a plane or even while waiting. You do have to consider how you'll manage the bits.

Whatever else you choose to take along, Rat-a-Tat Cat is a great game for traveling. Don't be put off by its childish appearance. I've played with ages 7-50 years old, all with varied interests. It has been a hit with them all, and I enjoy it too. Though without a surface, you'll need to vary it up just a bit. Instead of laying your four cards on the table, you hold them with two facing in and two facing out. Either way, it's super fast to play, and the game box is your card tray--hardly a footprint at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H M
Switzerland
Aargau
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play

oddball Äeronauts
Catan Dice Game
Love Letter

On planes and trains. On the lookout for more options myself, so thanks for the topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomcatChick wrote:
We play

oddball Äeronauts
Catan Dice Game
Love Letter

On planes and trains. On the lookout for more options myself, so thanks for the topic

oddball Äeronauts is perfect for cramped conditions

Qwixx is a possibility, we play it on the train regularly. The small cardboard box lid makes for a handy dice tray which you can use to pass them back an forth. Light and quick though, so may not hold your attention for all that long

Hanabi might work too, if that's your sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replace the goods tokens with a piece of paper with the token values printed on them. Just circle/square, initial, etc. the ones that each player has claimed. The bonus tokens are hidden information, and would still be required, but that's a lot fewer tokens that need to be used. And you can stack the 3/4/5 value bonus tokens in the box (where the cards sit, or in the lid) to help keep them contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomcatChick wrote:
We play

oddball Äeronauts
Catan Dice Game
Love Letter

Love Letter was my original choice, and had been on my list for this trip since January. However, after looking into it again, as a two player it seemed to elicit yawns (and the handmaiden seemed ill suited to the situation).

Maybe I'll post over in their section to get another opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
TomcatChick wrote:
We play

oddball Äeronauts
Catan Dice Game
Love Letter

Love Letter was my original choice, and had been on my list for this trip since January. However, after looking into it again, as a two player it seemed to elicit yawns (and the handmaiden seemed ill suited to the situation).

Maybe I'll post over in their section to get another opinion.

You could try BraveRats. Same designer as Love Letter, similar in many ways - and designed for two. But it probably won't entertain through an entire flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

You could try BraveRats. Same designer as Love Letter, similar in many ways - and designed for two. But it probably won't entertain through an entire flight.

Is Braverats lighter than Love Letter? People speak of it being really fluffy, but as an outsider I can't see much of a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carr
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone looking at this thread down the road (since OP's trip is over):

My wife and I have played Jaipur on a plane. Not perfect, but once the drinks are cleared, if you put down two adjacent trays there's plenty of room. We used the box top to store the tokens. When we hit a bump, the tokens fell off their stacks but none of them ended up outside the box top or on the floor so it worked pretty well. We both agreed we would do it again.

We also took Plato 3000, but that ended up needing too much space (for melding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.