Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

1944: Race to the Rhine» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about doubling back Corps Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Nothing in the rulebook (that I could find) talks about Corps movement not being able to double back. I assume that if I wanted to move a corps from area A to area B and back to area A again all during the same movement, that's legal, correct?

While it seems logical, permissible, and doable, a ruling on this sort of doubling-back movement is usually included in most games' rulebooks. So the omission of such a ruling in this particular rulebook has me wondering - though only slightly!

This is where I also want to add what a great rulebook this is! I only had 2 or so questions after my first reading and play-through. That's remarkable for me! I always find tons of things that need clarifying... except for this rulebook! Great work!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Last Question! (At this time) - About doubling back Corps Movement
bgm1961 wrote:

Nothing in the rulebook (that I could find) talks about Corps movement not being able to double back. I assume that if I wanted to move a corps from area A to area B and back to area A again all during the same movement, that's legal, correct?

While it seems logical, permissible, and doable, a ruling on this sort of doubling-back movement is usually included in most games' rulebooks. So the omission of such a ruling in this particular rulebook has me wondering - though only slightly!

This is where I also want to add what a great rulebook this is! I only had 2 or so questions after my first reading and play-through. That's remarkable for me! I always find tons of things that need clarifying... except for this rulebook! Great work!


Yes, it is legal. I thought that it is obvious and it was the only reason why there is nothing clearly stated upon this issue.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Last Question! (At this time) - About doubling back Corps Movement
bgm1961 wrote:
While it seems logical, permissible, and doable, a ruling on this sort of doubling-back movement is usually included in most games' rulebooks.

Meta-comment about rules:

FWIW in my experience a ruling on this sort of movement is usually included only if re-entering a space is illegal.

If it's legal, then I see no reason to explicitly say so, because the rules as written already imply it. Explicitly listing all the types of legal moves (which are already implied by the general rules as written) would make the rules unnecessarily much longer. E.g. "It is legal to move into a space which a different corps of yours occupied this turn. It is legal to move into a space which this moving corps occupied last turn. It is legal to move into a space with supplies. It is legal to move into a space adjacent to another corps. It is legal to move from a city with a French name to a city with a German name. (etc...)"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Last Question! (At this time) - About doubling back Corps Movement

Lord Voldemort wrote:
Yes, it is legal. I thought that it is obvious and it was the only reason why there is nothing clearly stated upon this issue.


Well, leave it to me to feel a need to clarify the obvious! As I mentioned in my OP, I assumed it was so and as such, I guess it was obvious after all. But still, this was of only one or two things that I wanted to be sure about during my first two games.

Thanks for the response!


russ wrote:
If it's legal, then I see no reason to explicitly say so, because the rules as written already imply it. Explicitly listing all the types of legal moves (which are already implied by the general rules as written) would make the rules unnecessarily much longer. E.g. "It is legal to move into a space which a different corps of yours occupied this turn. It is legal to move into a space which this moving corps occupied last turn. It is legal to move into a space with supplies. It is legal to move into a space adjacent to another corps. It is legal to move from a city with a French name to a city with a German name. (etc...)"


You hit the nail on the head when you said that the rules imply it. I too, got the implication and that's what I assumed in order to play as I did. But still, having been around the block several times, I've also played many games where such movement is NOT allowed even though common sense dictates otherwise. So I didn't see any harm in confirming the implication here.
I'm sorry to have wasted the time it took you to think up all the frivolous examples you used for what not to put in a rulebook. Actually, several of your examples did occur during our game and yet we didn't have any questions over them. So you're correct. But I still wanted to confirm about the doubling back, as it won the game for me.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't argue, just play!
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But I still wanted to confirm about the doubling back, as it won the game for me.

Such tactical withdraw can be sometimes crucial, when yours front line is too thin (I think it's especially felt in solo game, where counterattacks are automatic). So it's historical and thematic rule to be able to do so.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldek Gumienny
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
But I still wanted to confirm about the doubling back, as it won the game for me.


Congratulations! Yes, I can confirm - you have won legally
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Nothing in the rulebook (that I could find) talks about Corps movement not being able to double back. I assume that if I wanted to move a corps from area A to area B and back to area A again all during the same movement, that's legal, correct?

I know it's been answered but the rulebook does refer to movement along the arrows as bi-directional so I always assumed that you could double back as needed, since nothing explicitly said you couldn't.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

DaveyJJ wrote:
I know it's been answered but the rulebook does refer to movement along the arrows as bi-directional so I always assumed that you could double back as needed, since nothing explicitly said you couldn't.

Another good point to add to the other replies. I appreciate them all.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.