United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
New to Zombicide. In fact I haven't played yet. However I find the debate on the rules for ranged weapons and cars interesting. That of course the rules where if you fire into a space with a fellow survivor using a ranged weapon you hit the survivor first. The vehicle rule is similar.

This thread is not so much to debate the rule itself but to ask a simple question. Do you play these rules by the rulebook or do you use a form of house rule? I'm curious to see how many people actually house rule these often debated rules.

Poll
1. In terms of the ranged weapon rules in Zombicide do you play with the rules as written or do you use some sort of house rule?
I play as the rules are written.
I play a house rule variant.
2. In terms of the vehicle rules in Zombicide do you play with the rules as written or do you use some sort of house rule?
I play as the rules are written.
I play a house rule variant.
      115 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We try not to use house-rules in our games, but we've forgotten the splitting rule more often than not, we've just decided to house-rule it out of the game completely. It kind of detracts from the immersion anyways (we end up focusing more on mechanics than on fun, trying to figure out if a group of zombies needs to split).

Oh, and while we haven't officially house-ruled it out, we almost never use the sewer spawns, since we are always overlooking that part of the card (i.e. not realizing the spawn card is for the manholes and just spawn as regular). If the card was more explicitly a manhole card, say the entire thing a different color, then I'm sure we'd remember to play it correctly. But the tiny icon just is so easy to overlook, we almost always do.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiff Jaffa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.
We don't officially house rule anything, but don't get too bogged down with working out the splitting as it can get tedious, if things are bit easy we'll split zeds at a junction and throw a few extras on but generally just send a few each way.
Pretty sure we've overlooked the odd manhole card accidentally too, but I don't like doing this as it's one of the main ways the zombies can surprise you and makes the game less predicable and more fun!

Play the cars per the rules, I dont like them but my gf LOVES the cars and always makes a beelone for them.
Couple of things we got wrong with the cars at firat were moving out of a zone with a survivor on foot when in a car still hits on a 4+ and two cars passing in a zone also have to roll to hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never drive cars, because of the short distances. It's like taking an elevator rather than the stairs when it's only a floor or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We hardly ever use house rules, but like shnar, we didn't always split properly, and we were unhappy with the extra activation rules if you ran out of zombies. Eventually, we got better at splitting and bought more zombies! So we are back to no house-ruling again.

I like the idea of a poll on this one - there are strong feelings either way on these questions and it's worth getting an overview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play with any house rules but I do tend to avoid missions with cars because I feel they're overpowered. The weapon cache's they provide are sometimes very useful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
I'm also in the no-split club because it just doesn't feel right. As for the car rule, I've avoided games with drive-able cars in because they look fiddly. But when I eventually do the "a person is able to open a building door while they are inside a car" rule is immediately out because it be stupid. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I don't play with any house rules but I do tend to avoid missions with cars because I feel they're overpowered. The weapon cache's they provide are sometimes very useful though.

And there are plenty of missions with cars you can't drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
We hardly ever use house rules, but like shnar, we didn't always split properly, and we were unhappy with the extra activation rules if you ran out of zombies. Eventually, we got better at splitting and bought more zombies! So we are back to no house-ruling again.

I like the idea of a poll on this one - there are strong feelings either way on these questions and it's worth getting an overview.

In my researching the game I came up with a lot of debate on these rules. However it was hard to gauge reading through the threads how many people actually were using these alternate rules. So I thought a poll would allow folks to show their view on the matter without having to get involved in a debate on the virtue of doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did say we do house rule the cars.. but basically we just allow only 1 driver per car per turn. (no drive for 2 actions, move to an empty seat, someone else moves to the driver seat, drive for a turn ... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I'm also in the "I don't houserule cars but I do avoid scenarios with drivable cars" camp, so technically rules as written for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to avoid all drivable car scenarios too, but my girlfriend and I decided that if we play them, we just won't drive the cars, and do everything on foot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the splitting rule pretty essential to prevent "kiting" of the zombie horde, but to each his/her own. As for the cars, I drive them occasionally, but don't find them too overpowered in most missions as they drive one survivor quickly into the red while leaving their companions stranded in yellow!! Great discussion, and a great idea to put up a poll, thanks! My biggest issue is bringing myself to play the game while only 1/3 of my minis are painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
My biggest issue is bringing myself to play the game while only 1/3 of my minis are painted.

When I was thinking of getting this game, I was kind excited to paint the minis. Then I unpacked the box. shake ...nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use three house rules:

1) All misses hit survivors

Makes the rule slightly more realistic while still heavily discouraging shooting at other survivors.

2) Zombies don't split

This lenghtens the zombie turn a bit too much without having that much real effect on the game. I ignore splitting and players decide which way the extra zombie goes.

3) Survivors can move in any order (usually solo only)

Gives me more to think about when playing solo. Occasionally does make the game too easy, so I'm using this one less and less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried both house rules before and it makes the game WAY to easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
I use three house rules:

1) All misses hit survivors

Makes the rule slightly more realistic while still heavily discouraging shooting at other survivors.

2) Zombies don't split

This lenghtens the zombie turn a bit too much without having that much real effect on the game. I ignore splitting and players decide which way the extra zombie goes.

3) Survivors can move in any order (usually solo only)

Gives me more to think about when playing solo. Occasionally does make the game too easy, so I'm using this one less and less.

I think #3 is the official rule for solo play isn't it? I would highly discourage it for when you play a normal game though because it makes the game too easy and removes tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say not splitting can have a considerable effect on the game too, especially when you're low on zombies. I've had far more death as a result of extra activations from splitting than from the actual extra activations cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
My gaming group does the following
Cars:
We use em, but find yhey are a bit overpowered (Rolling a die for every zombie in a zone it leaves, passes or enters), so we house ruled that a car is not driveable unless it has been "gassed up" by finding, and using a Gas Can.

Splitting:
We will split a group, but if there is an odd number of zombies, we just scoot the extra guy in a direction with the "second" most noise.. I have more zombies then I can use, so affecting activations is not a concern for us and magicaly spawning a zombie to the board seems weird thematicaly..

Sewers:
We don't seem to have an issue remembering to spawning sewers, but I dont think we spawn them correctly. I know there are rules about spawning the tile, and some to spawn zones adjacent.. but we just spawn them on a sewer if a survivor is standing in the same zone. We have done it this way since the start, so for us, thats how we kept doing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharp Monkey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
Cool thread!

I played solo once with an "anything goes" turn order and it made things too easy. Haven't played that way again since.

I never house rule the ranged shooting rules either. It makes things challenging by raising the risk of losing. Maybe I'll try with alternate rules to see if the game becomes too easy that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
We never drive cars, because of the short distances. It's like taking an elevator rather than the stairs when it's only a floor or two.
Lol, what? I guess elevators would be a good analogy if they killed half of the zombies on each floor they leave, arrive at, and pass through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue is bringing myself to play the game while only 1/3 of my minis are painted.
Amen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the splitting rule pretty essential to prevent "kiting" of the zombie horde, but to each his/her own. As for the cars, I drive them occasionally, but don't find them too overpowered in most missions as they drive one survivor quickly into the red while leaving their companions stranded in yellow!! Great discussion, and a great idea to put up a poll, thanks! My biggest issue is bringing myself to play the game while only 1/3 of my minis are painted.

Unpainted miniatures is why I've only used berserkers like 3 times. I still don't even know what color scheme I want to use for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotenomad wrote:
I find the splitting rule pretty essential to prevent "kiting" of the zombie horde, but to each his/her own. As for the cars, I drive them occasionally, but don't find them too overpowered in most missions as they drive one survivor quickly into the red while leaving their companions stranded in yellow!! Great discussion, and a great idea to put up a poll, thanks! My biggest issue is bringing myself to play the game while only 1/3 of my minis are painted. :p

Unpainted miniatures is why I've only used berserkers like 3 times. I still don't even know what color scheme I want to use for them.

I haven't done berserkers yet but I'd say a dark red/brown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know yet. I have yet to play a scenario with a vehicle and haven't even read the rules on how those work.
As for gunplay and hitting survivors first, I am not sure what I want to do. I really want to not have to house rule any of my games and play as they are written. But I believe this rule is such a terrible rule that it makes me want to house rule it. The people I play with all house rule it, but I am unsure of how I will do things when I am running a game of Zombicide. Part of me wants to always stick to a rule book, but the other part of me says "Hey, creators of stuff aren't infallible. If creators were always right, we would all be walking around like a bunch of lunatics pronouncing 'gif' as 'jif.'"
So I am 50-50% on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.