Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been daydreaming about the Android Netrunner lore lately and even thinking about writing some fan fiction. But it got me thinking about my favorite characters in the world. Noise is one of them, Flint's a good one. But oddly, my favorite character right now is Kati Jones.

I think the reason is she's just kinda hired help and she doesn't have a lot of story to her, but she's good at what she does, and she embodies a dystopian criminal very well.

That in combination with the art we've seen from her just gives her this sort of cool stoic vibe. She's a reliable getaway driver and she's attractive.

I think the void of actual story for her is what intrigues me. Like I want to write a story for her. Why did she join the underground? How did she become a good getaway driver, etc.

"You aren't the only type of runner in New Angeles." The flavor text implies she enjoys and takes pride in her work. Does she also smuggle? Idk, she just seems interesting and I may take a stab at writing some back-story to her. She's also one of my favorite cards, and the promo art is certainly easy on the eyes during a game of Netrunner.

Any favorite characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Caprice and Floyd, but I'm biased from reading the books. I find Noise to be very different from his description in the book as I recall it and how he is portrayed in the art. Can't stand Tallie. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the two-man hit squad pictured on Decoy and other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Floyd, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis Blaine, hands down!

The first Android character. They just nailed the "corrupt cop with a guilty conscience" archetype, which is arguably the basis for the entire Android universe. Too bad he is only mentioned briefly in ANR (so far).

edit: backstories of the original Android characters are here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=271

Somehow these 5 characters seem to have a whole lotta "soul" to me (fleshed out through the plot and light/dark decks in the 2008 game) while the characters unique to Netrunner are sadly only very shallowly developed so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a bit of Floyd, he was my favourite to play in the original boardgame... The breaking of the directives (a version of the Three Laws) was a great attempt of mechanics matching the narrative.

It was never an easy choice whether to break your directives or not; they freed you from your limitations but also took away your strength as an outsider. In order to become more human, you had to become more vulnerable.

I am a little obsessed with robots, I love Blade Runner and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I studied robotics at Uni, so it's not much of a surprise I gravitated towards the robot character in Android. I just *can't wait* for a Bioroid runner ID...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
unitled wrote:
I just *can't wait* for a Bioroid runner ID...!

Maybe it'll even BE Floyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis Blaine. Still hoping for a Weyland Upgrade or Asset for him, that would be perfect- best character with best faction, 10/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
The Tragedy of Dinosaurus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seriously contemplating picking up the Android boardgame. Read the reviews here on BGG and discussed the pro/cons with some of my gaming group and the response was pretty positive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not for everybody. But it's probably the most ambitious and flavor/story/immersion rich game I've ever seen. It's a horrible shame that it was axed and got no expansion. It deserves a reboot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Gaudry-Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If they make a bioroid runner, my money is in a Mars cycle, they'll make it Drake. They've already established he has evolved beyond any other bioroid, and has a penchant for opposing corps. Floyd is still pretty by the books, and employed by the NAPD.

My favorite is probably Reina. She's the perfect psychopath. She has a rigid sense of morality, and a grudge against the corp. To play her ability, you want to hammer them on every front. Run constantly, with no thought of your own safety. I sit down with her as my ID, and it puts me in the perfect mindset to tear down a corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Floyd doesn't work as a bioroid runner. If anything, he would be a connection, or even - aha - hardware!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinte wrote:
If they make a bioroid runner, my money is in a Mars cycle, they'll make it Drake. They've already established he has evolved beyond any other bioroid, and has a penchant for opposing corps. Floyd is still pretty by the books, and employed by the NAPD.

My favorite is probably Reina. She's the perfect psychopath. She has a rigid sense of morality, and a grudge against the corp. To play her ability, you want to hammer them on every front. Run constantly, with no thought of your own safety. I sit down with her as my ID, and it puts me in the perfect mindset to tear down a corp.

Similar Reason i'm drawn to Kit, the fluff and the freedom,
i'm not hacking i'm exploring and setting information freeeeee!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I think the void of actual story for her is what intrigues me. Like I want to write a story for her. Why did she join the underground? How did she become a good getaway driver, etc.

I feel exactly the same way about Marilyn 7Y3T9D from Infiltration, so, um...don't read this if you're afraid of ruining the mystique. (It is a good backstory.)
On the other hand, being mysterious is basically Exile's whole deal, and I just can't be bothered to care.

I also agree with Rus about the original five characters, and Louis Blaine in particular. The first time I played Android, I drew him at random, and was like "aw, I wanted to be the clone, the robot, or the cyborg, not the boring old cliched crooked cop" But his storylines are so compelling...the loss and redemption--or not, as the case may be--holy cow.

Honorable mentions to Rachel, Floyd, Monica, and the Collective, in roughly that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Yeah, Floyd doesn't work as a bioroid runner. If anything, he would be a connection, or even - aha - hardware!

Floyd would be a corp card, not runner. Maybe an HB asset. In fact, that's Floyd on Experiential Data (an HB upgrade).

Corps aren't all evil. Runners aren't all good. In fact, they are both basically equal shades of gray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
rattkin wrote:

Floyd would be a corp card, not runner. Maybe an HB asset. In fact, that's Floyd on Experiential Data (an HB upgrade).

Corps aren't all evil. Runners aren't all good. In fact, they are both basically equal shades of gray.

But... How many shades of grey? (SCNR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played Android twice so far (second game was yesterday). Louis really does have an incredibly tight set of personal plots to follow. In our first game I was (due to loading him with bad baggage) largely responsible for him getting divorced from his wife. When his player read out the plot ending, I felt genuinely bad that I'd done that to him! So yeah, I can see him as an excellent character to include, though I suspect he'll be neutral (as Rachel and Flint have both been so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ladouceur
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find myself wondering what's up with Thomas Haas. Why is he ransoming himself back to his mother on Hostage, what does he gain from it? Just to make her angry? He's a suspect in every murder that happens in the city, too.

Does anyone else think it would be brilliant to have Thomas become a Runner, maybe even the Anarch ID for the Lunar Cycle? It would at least explain why FFG is hiding that ID when everything else has pretty much been spoiled. In-story, he obviously knows a few things about computers, going so far in one of the flavor sheets that came with a data pack to worry he himself was a Bioroid. And he obviously loves to cause problems for his own company, why not go after a few others, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Traveling Hero wrote:
I always find myself wondering what's up with Thomas Haas. Why is he ransoming himself back to his mother on Hostage, what does he gain from it? Just to make her angry? He's a suspect in every murder that happens in the city, too.

Does anyone else think it would be brilliant to have Thomas become a Runner, maybe even the Anarch ID for the Lunar Cycle? It would at least explain why FFG is hiding that ID when everything else has pretty much been spoiled. In-story, he obviously knows a few things about computers, going so far in one of the flavor sheets that came with a data pack to worry he himself was a Bioroid. And he obviously loves to cause problems for his own company, why not go after a few others, too?

General concensus is that Quetzal (quoted and probably depicted on Inject) is the Lunar Anarch (heh - dunno why, that phrase tickles me).

Not to mention the inherent weirdness that could happen if Thomas Haas was to make a run on a server with Thomas Haas in it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Traveling Hero wrote:
In-story, he obviously knows a few things about computers, going so far in one of the flavor sheets that came with a data pack to worry he himself was a Bioroid.

Not to mention the inherent weirdness that could happen if Thomas Haas was to make a run on a server with Thomas Haas in it...

"If Thomas Haas accesses Thomas Haas, he may search his stack for an Origami Unicorn and install it, ignoring all costs"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dannel Jurado
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Jackson Howard and Chaos Theory, especially Chaos Theory

I do really like Floyd though, I hope he gets a decent card treatment. A rogue bioroid runner would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.