Agricola» Forums » Variants

Subject: Assign occupation to specific family members rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Apan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that kind of bothered me about how the occupation work thematic-wise is that all you family members somehow magically learn every occupations instead of just the family member taking the action.

Has anyone tried to play with assigning the specific family member the skill and not the whole family? I guess you'll have to have different piles of occupation, one for each member and place the members on that piles at the ned of each round. It would make the game more accurate and may open for more playerinteraction since you can have to choose which player to use for every action and therefor give your opponents valueble information on which actions you are aiming for with the rest of your family, by analyzing the occupations of that specific members.

This way your newest familymembers will be least valueble since they haven't learn any skils yet, much like real life.

I haven't had a chance to try this since I don't have a gamäng group but maybe some on you already have tried it? If so, how does it affekt the game?

Pedroapan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Goldberg
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always imagined that the occupations were people that your family has hired to help in a very specific fashion, and the cost you pay to play the card is the cost to hire the worker to do that one thing for you for the rest of the game.

That being said the idea of your family holding the positions would be interesting. I'd maybe limit it to each worker only being allowed to hold one occupation at a time, so that if everyone in your family already has an occupation, to play a new occupation you would have to discard one that you already have out. I'd probably still let any family member use the benefit of the occupation with the idea being that these are side-benefits that the family enjoys because a member of the family is a baker, a fence builder, etc.

Interesting idea, but I imagine it would very difficult to implement without dis-balancing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's an interesting idea. The only downsides I see would be distinguishing which Family Member belongs to which ock (i.e. an extra layer of fiddliness) and the inevitable tracking of which Family Members are played by the opposition in hopes of discerning when they're likely to be wanting to play another ock (thus enhancing potential AP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Apan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for abandoning the thread for a while. Vacation has kept me busy.

It will certainly add one more fiddly moment to the game but i don't think it will be that hard to have specific piles for all members and "store" the family members on those piles in between turns.

One more thought on the same variant: I'm sure some of you play more than one game on a gamenight. This variant could be used as "Agricola: Generations". Play as descibed the first game. On the second game choose two of your offsprings to form your new family. Occupations for these two are kept. Highest total score of the two games delares the overall winner!

Do you let your offsprings educate them selves and by that not be able to use your occupations until midgame the first game, or do you educate the parents and face the downside of starting next game which nothing but two hands and a blank mind?

Could this work? Why or why not?

Pedroapan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.