Monopoly» Forums » General

Subject: An analysis of Monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Lindsey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's far better games out there and most hardcore gamers will know a lot of this already but nonetheless, thought this article was an interesting read and worth sharing: a deep dive into what are the best sets to go for in Monopoly.

http://www.denofgeek.com/games/monopoly/31061/killer-tips-fo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Interesting: quite detailed analysis, though mostly things you hear a lot (deliberately going to jail and favouring the properties you hit when you leave is old, as is going for up to 3 houses).

One glaring thing makes me wonder whether I've played different rules to him. He talks about auctioning off unwanted properties for $3 or whatever, when clearly you should always be willing to bid the mortgage value if you have the cash for it: that way you cannot be worse off, surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Only able to find one die. we had modified the rules - instead of throwing doubles to get out of jail, you had to roll a six.

You can't throw it twice???

Pete (stopped reading right there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The more games I play the more I admire Monopoly. It's making the rounds again at home as it did last summer when my wife declares all screens must go off, and the kids are having a great time with it. I appreciate it has been hit with the ugly stick here, but it really has a lot of revolutionary concepts in it, some of which still hold their own today. I used to give it a 5 rating here, but it has consistently risen as I've played in the past couple of years.

I'll be honest -- I think this guy is approaching it from the wrong direction. Some sets are better than others, but in each game the best set is the set you can cobble together. You work with what you get, so your approach needs to adapt each time. Never hurts to know what's best though it's a game where your gut tells you that after just a couple of plays.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The more games I play the more I admire Monopoly. It's making the rounds again at home as it did last summer when my wife declares all screens must go off, and the kids are having a great time with it. I appreciate it has been hit with the ugly stick here, but it really has a lot of revolutionary concepts in it, some of which still hold their own today. I used to give it a 5 rating here, but it has consistently risen as I've played in the past couple of years.

I'll be honest -- I think this guy is approaching it from the wrong direction. Some sets are better than others, but in each game the best set is the set you can cobble together. You work with what you get, so your approach needs to adapt each time. Never hurts to know what's best though it's a game where your gut tells you that after just a couple of plays.

S.
I like the part where he declares he will "go after the oranges" as if, were his strategy something else and he landed on orange, he'd pass it up.

Pete (agrees that the game is all about reacting to your die rolls)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In tournament play they often introduce three dice, and throwing a triple lets you travel anywhere you want. The majority of players choose Go To Jail.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Pete (went back and finished the article)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentegarn76 wrote:
Red v. Yellow is more clear cut. The yellow's placement on the board is by far the second worst (behind the greens) mostly because of their distance from Jail, lack of advance token to cards, and position from Go. Red has all of these things going for it on the other. An Advance to Illinois Ave card, the optimal 2 rolls from Jail placement, and the perfect 3-4 rolls from Go placement makes these a huge hotspot.

Those things are to balance the fact that the more forward properties have higher payouts for the the same price houses. Yellow is the highest paying property before go to jail, and the highest triple on the forward end of a side.

My kids (daughter especially) still like playing Monopoly, despite many shelves full of more modern games. I'm not sure why. The game never ends with people feeling like it was a good game. It's more like moths to a flame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.