GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Operation Battleaxe: Wavell vs. Rommel, 1941» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Any reason this game is reported 1-player and is in 2 solitaire families?
Just because can be played using the split-mind approach and no hidden information?

TIA for your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no special solitaire rules, if that is what you are asking. That said, the nature of the system makes it a fairly satisfying game to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
More and more wargames are using mechanics and mechanisms that make it less a schizo affair and more a challenge to play both sides. This is one of those games (waiting for Fedex to show up with my copy as I type this).

AIM games are particularly suited to solitaire play and you will notice that most are marked as 1 or 2 player.

As I have stated in the past unless you read on the product or any information provided about it that it has a solo AI designed for it the 1 player will be for solitaire compatible ratings only.

For instance, every game GMT releases has a solitaire rating, with the low score usually indicating hidden movement for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments,

very low in the priority list of the things that piss me off in this world there is the use of the 1-player definition to such large extent

Until BGG will provide a different parameter to set I am living my personal crusade
Even if this is not the case I see that more and more authors and editors set now 1-player for anything. Also for a game defined as "chess-like" like in this case. Marketing?

Anything can be played alone, also Poker if you want and I dream of 1-player option not be used for any intermediate and questionable solitaire rating for a classic 2-players games.

My crusade consist in asking BGG to modify that value every time i stumble on such situation while looking for Solo games for my collection.
Ok now after this rant i can go back in my niche of the Solo Players community

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Solo is very big right now. Usually a quick run through of the description informs me if the solo experience the game offers is up to snuff. But I am also working on my own deck of cards for games that need a bit of chaos thrown in to make them more of a challenge. I plan on doing a crowd funded version when I get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
There are no special solitaire rules, if that is what you are asking. That said, the nature of the system makes it a fairly satisfying game to play solo.

Both the system and the small nature of the game encourage solitaire play. The game may be set up in maybe five minutes. An average game will have just 21 impulses and even solo I'd expect you could finish three turns in about two hours. Packing up the game wouldn't take much more than five minutes.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Operation Battleaxe
Take Aim Designs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.