China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

some friends and I are putting togheter a card game set one thousand years after the WWII when the Cthulhu Mythos took over and transformed our planet forever. The game is about a group of adventurers/pilots that race against each other while crossing the devastated USA.

So now we are working in the logo and we are not sure if the image conveys the idea well enough. Maybe more racing elements needed? More tentacles? Any idea or opinion is welcome.

You can check our development thread here

Thanks for passing by!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The cpncept is just awesome, but as you said more tentacles will add more Cthulu flavor to it, maybe some small ones below the name could work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long holiday but we are back.

Here it is a more polished version in watercolor. Some tentacles have been added for more Cthulhu flavor ;)

Still needs some work and will undergo some digital retouching for the final art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
love it, but I think the tentacles need to be larger. they don't look imposing. More like leeches to me. replace with larger ones. unfortunately watercolor doesn't leave itself much reworking room, so you may have to paint them separately and photoshop them in.

These look snake sized to me. but better I think. Any larger and they will start to dominate the composition, but that may be the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are right. Thanks for the input.

Looking at your sketch maybe the solution is including less tentacles and making them a bit bigger. Also overlapping some of the elements could work better.

I will finish the watercolor with the current composition and work on your idea later in the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think that the level of tentaclage is OK as-is. However, if the Mythos has truly "overtaken" the world, then I might suggest (1) that the reflected landscape in the goggles be a bit more otherworldly and not so much stereotypical desert wasteland, and (2) that the text OverTaker be less steampunk/oldwest and more runic.

I love the double meaning of the name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Quote:
I love the double meaning of the name.

We're not native english speakers and we were still wandering if the name sounded right for a native.

blush I have no clue about the double meaning you mention, could you enlighten us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Overtaker
(1) A racer who passes another racer. e.g. Humphrey has overtaken Fitzgibbon for the lead!
(2) An uncommon title for someone who has "taken over" control of something, such as planet Earth. Normally called a usurper or invader or some such thing. It's a bit of a stretch, but it still works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like bit bigger image of the image. I'm not sure why the right eye goggle is 2, and I find that distracting. To the upper right there looks like a moon, which is fine, but why are there 2 shapes grabbing pointing at it and why are they brown instead of continuing the green tentacle theme? In other words, if it is a detail, it should mean something, and what it means should be conveyed by what it looks like. Barring an explanation, I'd replace all the brown stuff there with more green tentacle, or an eye on a tentacle. To the upper left, it looks like an engine piston, right? And I think you are missing an opportunity to have the toothy mouth also extend below the text. I'd probably make the flesh and teeth color different from the brassy text color though. You might consider lining the bottom of the text liner with a muffler shape, which it already slightly suggest. Flames reflected in 1 goggle might be appropriate.

Now all of that is art thought. Next I have to ask, is all of this detail going to come through on a "logo", which typicaly are fairly simple and small?

Theme wise, I find it a bit odd that 'people' still exist after a Cthuluian apocalypse, and are free enough to enjoy sport racing. That the last remenant of humanity is NOT of the run from monsters is odd to me. So, you might need to lampshade these discrepancies by explicitly stating that those that remain seem to be mostly, usualy, ignored, and beneath the notice of the Things. Still then, I'd expect races to invovle odd dimensions, and monster avoidance, and also maybe call out changes to the 'humanity' that remains. For instance, a vampire or necromancer who races, may be able to do certain things during a race that a modern human now can't. If a race is 'around the world' then you can bring in several environments: underwater, moutains, swamp, arctic, dreamland, alien city, etc, which to me is more interesting than a singular deserted wasteland. If the race is all by air, then I think your logo should have some kind of airship incorporated in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I commend this thread to you as a means for refamiliarizing yourself with Lovecraft. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/147987/getting-started-cthul... If you name the name Cthulhu in your game, and don't deliver, I think you'd have been better off sticking to a simpler post-apocalyptic setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I'd like bit bigger image of the image. I'm not sure why the right eye goggle is 2, and I find that distracting. To the upper right there looks like a moon, which is fine, but why are there 2 shapes grabbing pointing at it and why are they brown instead of continuing the green tentacle theme? In other words, if it is a detail, it should mean something, and what it means should be conveyed by what it looks like. Barring an explanation, I'd replace all the brown stuff there with more green tentacle, or an eye on a tentacle. To the upper left, it looks like an engine piston, right? And I think you are missing an opportunity to have the toothy mouth also extend below the text. I'd probably make the flesh and teeth color different from the brassy text color though. You might consider lining the bottom of the text liner with a muffler shape, which it already slightly suggest. Flames reflected in 1 goggle might be appropriate.

The idea of having two eye google is for giving it a bit of unbalance making it look a bit weirder than it would with just to symmetrical googles.

About the shape on the right side, the idea was two put two different mechanical devices, one that looked more normal and one that looked more otherwordly. In that sense the shape will be some kind of energy cube. The reason for the brown in those shapes is thus to separate them material-wise from the tentacles, which are a separate entity.

I agree with changing the colour of the mouth to make it apart from the brassy text.

Now all of that is art thought. Next I have to ask, is all of this detail going to come through on a "logo", which typicaly are fairly simple and small?

Well, the idea is to create this "full resolution" thing so we can use it on the back of cards and as some kind of emblem in the cover of the box. And then simplify it to use it on simpler applications, where a simpler and smaller logo would be more appropriate.

Theme wise, I find it a bit odd that 'people' still exist after a Cthuluian apocalypse, and are free enough to enjoy sport racing. That the last remenant of humanity is NOT of the run from monsters is odd to me. So, you might need to lampshade these discrepancies by explicitly stating that those that remain seem to be mostly, usualy, ignored, and beneath the notice of the Things. Still then, I'd expect races to invovle odd dimensions, and monster avoidance, and also maybe call out changes to the 'humanity' that remains. For instance, a vampire or necromancer who races, may be able to do certain things during a race that a modern human now can't. If a race is 'around the world' then you can bring in several environments: underwater, moutains, swamp, arctic, dreamland, alien city, etc, which to me is more interesting than a singular deserted wasteland. If the race is all by air, then I think your logo should have some kind of airship incorporated in it.

About the theme, I understand your concerns. The game is set in a setting that we developed for an RPG and for the sake of simplicity I kept it very simple in these posts. We have more than two hundred pages developing the setting for the RPG. Unfortunately the publisher we had back in time for the RPG went bankrupt and the game is now in a stand-by state.

We will publish posts with insight about the setting so everything makes more sense.

Not all the environments will be wastelands, but for now we kept it limited to the USA. The last stage for example is located in New England, where the deep-ones have one of their colonies.

Thanks for telling us your doubts about the setting though, it will help us write things in a way that everyone understands what we are trying to do here.

BTW I guess you can check this http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2232837/pulpapocalipsis?size=... for a higher resolution image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the larger pic. I think you'd be well served by a different medium than watercolor. Among other things, you could get mor pop with your color, things would be less fuzzy (like the moter head on the left), and metals and shiny plastics would probably come through better.

Yeah, I knew you were trying to do the odd thing with the eyes, but I just think it is not worth the down side.

Now that I see it bigger, it also seems like ther is some wasted space to the top and sides of the googles.

Rust on the metals, in dabbed watercolor, realy does not work. Why is the white on the helmet brighter than the white of the background paper? Why is the fade up to white on the word overtaker not consistent from 1 side to the other. If, the metal on the right 'head' was the same color as the rest of the metal, and was a symetric jagged edge, then that might draw more attention to your delightful hover crystal, contrasting more strongly with the left side while remaining more integrated into the whole.

I like the black background for the word overtaker, but that plaque is so large that it hides some of the engine pipes, which help to tie things together. I might even withdraw the lower mouth jaw idea if you can make the engine seem more connected. The largeness of the plaque also leave fewer good places for your tentacles to go, without their shape confusing that of the engine's shape.

I suspect, that if this logo were done on a computer, you might find it easier to modify, uh with layers and stuff.

I have to agree with someone else. Those tentacles are not up to snuff. The green is not bright enough, there are no suckers, and the ridge in some of them seems odd. They strike me as more plant than animal.

Dual use logo for card backs is cool. Overall, I like what you are trying to go for with this logo. The idea, and I guess the basic composition, are good. I'd just like to see it sharper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the watercolor. I did it during holidays and had no computer nor wacom with me, so I decided it would be cool working a bit with traditional media. But all in all the plan is (and was) to make the final art by computer.

The odd thing with the eyes, somehow worked better on the sketches than here. Maybe I can try to change the proportion a bit so there's not so much "wasted" space.

With the input you and the guys above gave me I will come back with a computer version that hopefully will look crispier and easy to manipulate.

Thanks for the input so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools

You can find more info about the game setup in this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Dizzy is Calm wrote:
Overtaker
(1) A racer who passes another racer. e.g. Humphrey has overtaken Fitzgibbon for the lead!
(2) An uncommon title for someone who has "taken over" control of something, such as planet Earth. Normally called a usurper or invader or some such thing. It's a bit of a stretch, but it still works.

Then my english ain't that bad after all . I wasn't sure if it made any connection with "take over", I'm glad it makes sense and matches the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi again,

I've been working in a new version, completely done by computer. I still have to finish some stuff, but the idea is pretty much there.

I changed the tentacles following the advice above, although I never liked suckers in Mythos tentacles, so I made them more worm-looking.

I'm still trying to find a completely satisfying solution for the background reflected on the googles, but I will go with the palette you can see here.

I really liked the idea of asymmetric googles so I'm sticking with it. That said I tried to change it a bit so it looks better, not wasting so much space and giving it a look that goes better with the single google on the left.

After one of the comments above I felt compelled to try a different composition for the whole thing and check how it would work on a mock-cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like!
I think in the top one, the skull dominates the logo, the bottom one is the reverse of that. Could we have one that showcases both simultaneously?
I think overtaker could be a little larger in mine. it still seems a little bit smaller than it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Sivera Catala
China
Guilin
Guangxi
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here it is the final art version for the thing.

Phil of Mars, I haven't found the time to modify it following your advice, but I think you are right about the proportions and I will definitely use something closer to your proposal for the box cover of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.