Alexander Kuprijanow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear board / Marvel / dice geeks,

with MDM still struggling with distribution in Germany, I wonder if it will be enough if I buy a single display with nothing but 60 boosters, netting me 120 cards and dice (right?).

Do I still need 1 or 2 starters to commence playing?

How much dice stuff would you recommend for some good, casual playing with lots of varieties? Are 2 displays better than one, when it comes to more deck variety? I am not interested in killer combo decks, or in collecting all that ultra-mega-rare clunkers. However, I would like to have a comprehensive pool to build draft decks from, etc.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played for almost two months with no starter proxiing dice and action cards. You get enough to play for fun easily out of a single box but you will likely want to trade or buy common dice to get 3 or 4 for the cards you like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Kuprijanow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So then, it would be better to grab 2 starter sets in addition to the display?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 starter is enough for 2 people as far as sidekick and action dice are concerned. If you want more dice for the starting heroes (only comes with 2 per hero and 3 cards each) then you could pick up 2. Because the heroes in the starter set only have 1 card in the gravity booster packs it is much harder to get those dice. I would get 1 of both the starter and the gravity feed and if you want 4 dice for each of the starter heros get 2 starters. You will end up with an extra of each starter card and an extra set of action as well as 2 sets of sidekick dice (total of 4 sets [32 dice]) if you get 2 starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Tedford
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A starter set isn't necessary to play/enjoy the game. Just get your hands on some regular D6s and then print out the reference sheets here on the geek that show how to use D6's for sidekick dice.

The starter sets are really cheap though, so when they are back in stock whistle , wouldn't hurt to pick one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
some people buy 2 starter sets for the starter character dice and try to sell off the sidekick and action dice. Keep an eye out for those and you might be able to get them on the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zacrulo wrote:
A starter set isn't necessary to play/enjoy the game. Just get your hands on some regular D6s and then print out the reference sheets here on the geek that show how to use D6's for sidekick dice.

The starter sets are really cheap though, so when they are back in stock whistle , wouldn't hurt to pick one up.

The only problem with this method is that the D6s will be larger than the MDM dice, which use a custom die size, so it's hard to find similar ones. If you are going to proxy, I would suggest taking some of the character dice you have extras of, after opening your gravity feeds, and using a sharpie to put symbols on them to make sidekick/action dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shortt
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made a set of dice out of plastic mold stuff(putty) and it worked great.It has the same weight and shape as the other dice so you cant really tell when you draw from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina McDuffie
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Visit TheGlassMeeple.com for game reviews and run-throughs by me.
badge
She who laughs... lasts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:
Zacrulo wrote:

The only problem with this method is that the D6s will be larger than the MDM dice, which use a custom die size, so it's hard to find similar ones. If you are going to proxy, I would suggest taking some of the character dice you have extras of, after opening your gravity feeds, and using a sharpie to put symbols on them to make sidekick/action dice.

We used the smaller d6s, they seemed closer in size to the MDM dice. To eliminate the problem of being able to distinguish between the dice when reaching inside, we instituted a dump policy. Instead of reaching in and pulling out dice, you had to pour them out of your bag. That or a quick reach and grab, no feeling around. No MDM dice had to be sacrificed to a sharpie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgmcduff wrote:
Stryyder wrote:
Zacrulo wrote:

We used the smaller d6s, they seemed closer in size to the MDM dice. To eliminate the problem of being able to distinguish between the dice when reaching inside, we instituted a dump policy. Instead of reaching in and pulling out dice, you had to pour them out of your bag. That or a quick reach and grab, no feeling around. No MDM dice had to be sacrificed to a sharpie.

or you could just proxie the sidekick dice with character dice, using the same format as the d6 (for example, the faces on ghost rider, from left to right, represent 1-6 on a d6, which represent the faces of the sidekick dice) a bit more complicated, but it keeps the dice the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably doesn't help much, but the Bachelors of Dice podcast is or will soon be running a contest for everything in the starter sans character dice. Something to keep an eye on at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Skinner
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
This probably doesn't help much, but the Bachelors of Dice podcast is or will soon be running a contest for everything in the starter sans character dice. Something to keep an eye on at least.

I've got the same thing for trade if you don't win the contest.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/172652/item/3198079#it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.