BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Heroes of Normandie, good game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it got good grades and nice reviews. So it seems like areally cool game. I havent had it recommended to me very often though.What do you guys like about this game if you do, and what is not great about it?
/Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played once so far but I really enjoyed it. Have another game scheduled of it this week.

What I like:
Artwork
Mechanics
Time limitation (Game can only go 8 rounds max)
The pieces, the corners are rounded, and they are nice and thick cardboard.

What I didnt like:
Rulebook (Definitely need to download the 1.1 rulebook)
Base game has some counter errata that you need to download the fixes too.

Its fast, bloody, and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork alone makes me want it. I think it looks fantastic and it reminds me a lot of a video game (can't place it at the moment though, not Metal Slug...).

The rulebook and errata have given me pause though. I have only been board gaming for a short time and am already tired of having to supplement bad rulebooks with stuff I have printed from here or official FAQs or whatever. And every time I print off some player aid or revised rules or something, I tell myself 'when I get back to the states I am going to take these files somewhere and get them printed on nice card stock and keep them in the game box, instead of having a bunch of paper pages that are all folded up and in black and white.' But at the rate I am accumulating references and FAQs to fix rule books, I will probably never do that.

So reading about the problems with the rules and the counters has put me off. If a revised edition comes out with a fixed rulebook and correct components, I will buy it in a heartbeat. But at the moment I am just tired of having to do their job for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EYEL1NER wrote:
The artwork alone makes me want it. I think it looks fantastic and it reminds me a lot of a video game (can't place it at the moment though, not Metal Slug...).

The rulebook and errata have given me pause though. I have only been board gaming for a short time and am already tired of having to supplement bad rulebooks with stuff I have printed from here or official FAQs or whatever. And every time I print off some player aid or revised rules or something, I tell myself 'when I get back to the states I am going to take these files somewhere and get them printed on nice card stock and keep them in the game box, instead of having a bunch of paper pages that are all folded up and in black and white.' But at the rate I am accumulating references and FAQs to fix rule books, I will probably never do that.

So reading about the problems with the rules and the counters has put me off. If a revised edition comes out with a fixed rulebook and correct components, I will buy it in a heartbeat. But at the moment I am just tired of having to do their job for them.

Looks really really cool. I agree. And i also agree with that rules that are not right from the beginning can be very annoying. Sometimes i wonder how it can even be possible that it slips through testing etc and they even sell a product with such a flaw. Im not talking about a few missprints now obviously but major errors in the rules.
I have not experienced it THAT much though. And partly it has been my fault for not checking on here if i could download something to fix the rules. I didnt even know i could until quite recently So i just tried asking here on the boards or deal with it by houseruling etc.
Ow well, i ordered it now and it arrives next week. So kinda excited, and now i know there exist new rulebook on the boards that will help out when i meet those problems.
Zol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fun, quick, very action-y squad-level game. I only have the base game so I cannot comment on the expansions. The rules are 99% fine - there are a couple small errors, but nothing horribly wrong. There is one card name that is incorrect in the first scenario, which is annoying, but also not really a big deal. The errors are unfortunate but I think the people who are harping on the company for it are exaggerating their impact.

I would recommend it as a fun and light game. Complexity-wise, it is more complex than Memoir '44 but less than, say, Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.