Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Locke
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having trouble getting into it -- too short, heroes and villains fighting side by side, not a collector, etc. As a fervent Legendary player, I enjoy the buildup to the inevitable battle with the Mastermind, and Dice Masters just seems to be a slugfest that ends abruptly.

Am I asking too much from MDM? Should I not let the lack of a story bother me? Should Spidey and Green Goblin fight side by side for me? Please advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjones wrote:
Having trouble getting into it -- too short, heroes and villains fighting side by side, not a collector, etc. As a fervent Legendary player, I enjoy the buildup to the inevitable battle with the Mastermind, and Dice Masters just seems to be a slugfest that ends abruptly.

Am I asking too much from MDM? Should I not let the lack of a story bother me? Should Spidey and Green Goblin fight side by side for me? Please advise.

You're comparing two completely different genres of game, and then finding fault with one because it is lacking elements that are not part of it's genre, but rather part of the other game's genre. You don't watch a movie the Notebook, and then complain that there weren't enough explosions in it.

Dicemasters is a vs game. The skill lies in forming a deck and then playing that deck in order to try and beat a single opponent. That is the entirety of your goal, and it never changes. This is typical of CCGs like MDM, and is why the game works.

CCGs might not be your thing, and I get that, but you certainly shouldn't be comparing it to Legendary. My game group plays legendary 4+ times a week, but only 3 of us are playing MDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Locke
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I think that's my problem, too -- I'm trying to compare them when I shouldn't be. Not ready to give up on it yet, but I just wasn't enjoying it as much as Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also consider trying to develop "themed" teams. They may not be the best ones (although Iron Man / War Machine are pretty good), but you might enjoy it a bit more.

The good news is there is a lot of replayability in that each character has many different versions. Yes some are a lot better than others, but finding a crappy character ability and trying to build a team around it might be enjoyable as well.

Ultimately it depends on what you want out of the game. But I've seen games build and build and build until that perfect combo works out, you swing for the fences and KO your opponent completely. Not necessarily fun to be on the receiving end, but it was an epic finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Salwitz
msg tools
I'm in the same boat. Not impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Marvel Dice Masters was announced, I was an instant hater and couldn't understand why so many well-known reviewers were at all excited for it. Couple of reasons:

1. I kind of hate dice games. Too random. You can roll poorly for two turns in a row, and the probability of rolling poorly on your next turn is the same. Cards, on the other hand, if you get a poor draw this turn, you're less likely to get a poor draw next turn (depends on the game and when you shuffle, of course, but generally speaking, that's typical). The dice-building aspect of Quarriors/MDM mitigates this somewhat, but you still have to roll the dice.

2. The collectible aspect is annoying. Rares, super-rares, etc. I thought we as a hobby collectively had moved on from the CCG model. Why would someone bring it back? Ugh! Just put all of the cards and all of the dice in one box, please!

3. The production quality is really poor. Those dice bags? Give me a break! I'll have to design my own playmats, get them printed from an online vendor, and buy some dice bags off of etsy.com just to get a nice gameplay experience that I would expect from any other boardgame. That's probably another $30 on top of the starter kit price. Getting into a game shouldn't require that much effort.

I have to admit that I kind of changed my tune about MDM after I watched several playthrough videos of it, however. There seemed to be more tactical and strategic decisions to be made than I expected, and it actually looked fun. I still haven't played it yet. I haven't been able to locate a copy of the starter set, and I refuse to pay inflated prices. If it comes back in stock at CoolStuffInc though, I think I'll pick it up. I refuse to chase after any rares or play into the collectible aspect though.

I agree with the OP that, in general, I don't like heroes fighting other heroes or villains fighting alongside heroes unless there's a really good reason for it, narratively. MDM offers no such reason, and I find it fairly a-thematic as a result.

I think Legendary is a far superior game. More diversity in gameplay, more thematic, more compelling. But take that with a grain of salt since I haven't actually played MDM, just watched it being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, and like, both....different games which have the Marvel universe as it's theme, and both games have in-game effects which are quite thematic. I say both games complement, not compete, with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
I have, and like, both....different games which have the Marvel universe as it's theme, and both games have in-game effects which are quite thematic. I say both games complement, not compete, with each other.

Same with me. Legendary is still the most played game in my group, but MDM is getting a lot of play as well. With the OP events, 2 of us have met almost every second day discussing tactics and practicing games. MDM just doesn't get hold, and the amount of strategy and options you have is phenomenal considering it is a dice game.

Legendary is still my favourite game for gamenights, but I would much rather play 1v1 MDM than 2player Legendary (if the second player plays MDM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norin Radd
msg tools
mbmbmb
DarthofZA wrote:
freddieyu wrote:

Same with me. Legendary is still the most played game in my group, but MDM is getting a lot of play as well. With the OP events, 2 of us have met almost every second day discussing tactics and practicing games. MDM just doesn't get hold, and the amount of strategy and options you have is phenomenal considering it is a dice game.

Legendary is still my favourite game for gamenights, but I would much rather play 1v1 MDM than 2player Legendary (if the second player plays MDM).

After making my Fall gaming investment into Dice Masters instead of the Legendary October expansion I've been very pleased. I still enjoy Legendary for big multiplayer games and solo play but for head to head games Dice Masters wins by a long shot because of ease of setup, cleanup, and game speed. It does however lack schemes and plots which I love in Legendary but it does have a better feel for hero personality with regards to certain character mechanics/abilities. However the supplier is having massive problems keeping up with demand which has inflated the secondary market of singles and starter sets. This has killed one of the best selling points of the game which is entry cost. If you are wanting to try it you better get on a waiting list at your local retailer because after this next wave sells out in about a week to 2 weeks it's another long wait for starter sets unless you want to pay double or tripple the price for an ebay auction.

On a side note I agree Dice Masters is not in the same category as Legendary. It has it's own niche somewhere between a full blown collectable dice/card/figure game and a dumbed down deck building game. For example I can take someone who has 0 gaming experience and introduce them into Dominion or Legendary and they are off and running first game in no time. Take that same person and introduce them into Dice Masters and their head will explode from rules, steps, zones, etc but it is still possible to teach them within a night of gaming enough that they could play the game by the next gaming session without much help. On the other side of the coin something like Magic the Gathering is so freaking technical that when I go to events every once in awhile I still see seasoned vets who regularly play tournaments seeking rules clarifications every night. The rules in MTG are what always keeps it out of reach of the average joe who shows up at your house randomly and wants to game. It's not something you ask your wife to join you in a short game of because if she isn't determined to learn the game she will be bored to tears with all the legalese speak.

So I choose my game by who is coming over and hanging out. If it's big group with friends, family, and their wives who don't game seriously then we break out Dominion, Munchkin, or Legendary. If it's one on one gamer night it's going to be Dice Masters. If it's a bunch of technical hard to please gaming nerds D&D or MTG. So as you can see it all depends on who you are expecting to game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
3. ...I'll have to design my own playmats...

I haven't been able to locate a copy of the starter set, and I refuse to pay inflated prices.

The official playmats are in stores now; I haven't bought one yet but from the youtube videos they look pretty cool.

I discovered yesterday (Jul 26/14) that at least one of my local game stores received a shipment of boosters and starters in the last week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
The official playmats are in stores now; I haven't bought one yet but from the youtube videos they look pretty cool.

Not at CoolStuffInc, they aren't. Also, I didn't like that they removed the arrows and short explanatory blurbs from the official playmats (which I feel will make the game easier to teach and easier to play), so I actually think many of the fan-made playmats are superior.

Also, it kind of annoys me that Legendary got (and still gets!) a ton of crap because the core set has the same artwork for all of the cards for each hero, but NOBODY complained about that with Marvel Dice Masters. Really?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
SD40 wrote:

Not at CoolStuffInc, they aren't. Also, I didn't like that they removed the arrows and short explanatory blurbs from the playmats (which I feel will make the game easier to teach and easier to play), so I actually think many of the fan-made playmats are superior.

Also, it kind of annoys me that Legendary got (and still gets!) a ton of crap because the core set has the same artwork for all of the cards for each hero, but NOBODY complained about that with Marvel Dice Masters. Really?!

I had no issue with Legendary and same art work, but I completely get why no one is complaining with MDM. In Legendary, you would have 4 versions of a character in a single game, but all the cards would look very similar and in many of the cases you had to read the card each time to figure out which version it was.

In MDM, you can only have one version of the character in play, and it stays in play for the whole game. You're not constantly seeing the picture then trying to figure out what the character does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthofZA wrote:
In MDM, you can only have one version of the character in play, and it stays in play for the whole game. You're not constantly seeing the picture then trying to figure out what the character does.

But you can't tell from a glance which version of the MDM character your opponent has chosen because all the cards look the same. It seems like an even bigger issue to me. Also, I think it would make the collectible aspect more attractive if the cards had different artwork.

Speaking of the artwork, the MDM artwork for the Black Widow card is awful. I don't know how someone can make Black Widow look bad, but they did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Locke
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played 5 games now, and I think I just don't prefer this style of game for superheroes. Found myself wanting to play Legendary instead. However, after playing it more, I do get the strategy more (when to block, when to strike, and definitely when NOT to strike and leave yourself open). I'll give it a few more games, but Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game is sitting across the table, staring at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I really wanted to get into Marvel Dice Masters but after months of hunting for the starter and boosters I gave up. I lost interest and I read a lot of comments about the game on Reddit about the meta and super rare cards. I ended up getting this instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alli W.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
The funny thing about this thread is while I was at GenCon, I demoed Dice Masters. I was planning on buying it, actually, but was turned off by the fact that they didn't have any there at the time and told me (politely) that it would be best if I waited until Christmas.

The next day I bought all five Legendary games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.