Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a one game, one box guy and have no problems dumping expansion boxes and keeping everything in a base box. However, has anyone extended this to standalone games?

For example, 1812 and 1775 could both fit in the box of one. Easily. Same with say...Columbia block games (or most wargames, I'd imagine), I could dump Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex into the same box. I just bought that Pocket Ogre for $3 and it easily fits in the Legend of Robin Hood box.

This isn't a space issue, and I'm not exactly a minimalist (yet), but I sure do like getting rid of things and having as little as possible.

I doubt anyone is doing this, and I'm not looking to justify why one should or shouldn't, I'm just curious if anyone has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Box Consolidation...To Crazy?
I've combined 4 party games in one box for ease in transporting...to parties. Also saved a lot of shelf space. Each was mainly a box of cards, my friends never used the boards anyway. I even cut down the box so everything fit snugly.

25 Words or Less, 2 versions
Pictionary
Buzz Word

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use old graphics card box to carry 5 wargames I love to play most. It's like mini-case with holder, tough and easy to carry. When in doubt, I grab the "case" and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I put small-box games inside way-too-big-box games because they're easier to carry to game night that way. For example, Tash-Kalar currently houses Impulse and a couple of A:NR decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Box Consolidation...To Crazy?
I can certainly see the sense in it, especially for games that are similar like 1812 and 1775 or Columbia games.

When I went on holiday recently I put San Juan and Battle line into the one box, they both fit perfectly into BL's box, it's almost like it was meant to be.

When we returned, San Juan went back into its own box.

I dunno, something about keeping multiple games in the one box doesn't appeal to me, and not just because I'm such a dope that I'm likely to forget which games are in which boxes.

Also, when friends come over they can spot each game on the shelf and go "Ooh, San Juan, let's play that", which wouldn't be possible if it was hiding inside something else.

I have been known to 'rightsize' boxes though, my copy of Mission: Red Planet for example is now in a box about 75% smaller than the one it came in.

My secret shame though is the loft, where dozens of empty expansion boxes are hiding. I can't bring myself to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I toss expansion boxes and inserts pretty quickly, but I like to have individual games separated to make for easy browsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I combined Cyclades and Kemet into one box with the Ck3 expansion.

I'm debating on trying to actually combine the boxes, and make some sort of hybrid box with a diagonally split cover. I'm not sure how to do that though, and I'm afraid I would screw up both boxes in the process.

Right now I'm using the kemet top and cylades bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with combining which I do if possible is that sometimes you decide to trade a game and dont have the box any longer. Even if unpunched most people want the box as part of the trade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started consolidating some similar games in single boxes recently to save space and, contrary to expectations, the Game Collector Enforcement Agency did not show up at my door. I also started consolidating and tossing all expansion boxes for the most part too.

It's true, this does potentially hamper the collector's value of the games. This is a risk I'm willing to take in order to make room though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to toss expansion boxes but in retrospect I really wish I hadn't. Not for resale/trade value, but for artistic value. Instead of trashing them, I would have preferred to frame some of the box covers for game room art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As noted above, I also combine games for traveling. Ex. I put PuertoRico, Splendor and Pocket Ogre into my Troyes box. When I get back, they go back to their own homes again, for ease of finding the games (I'll forget where they are very quickly!). Of course I permanently combine expansions as much as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I may combine base games and expansions into a single box if they fit and if it makes sense to do so (for example, I have Core Worlds and Core Worlds: Galactic Orders in the same box and I have Guildhall and Guildhall: Job Faire in the same box). However, even if I combine games and expansions into one box, I never throw away the empty boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C A
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A long time ago I tossed Rumis and Rumis+ into my Pueblo box. I prefer Pueblo so no big deal if only that gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I save them all, and would never consolidate. No more trade/resale value if you don't have the box. I do combine expansions, but I keep those boxes around too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I combine expansions for convenience, and for gaming meet-ups I have a small bag that I've filled with games (mostly card based) plus mini-poker chips which covers a bunch of games. Splendor takes up very little room if you use mini-chips and quarters for the gold.

Original boxes are kept in a closet, so if I ever need to sell the games, I can re-box them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consolidate expansions (for example my entire AH collection is in two of the original boxes), but then the expansion boxes are placed into a large cardboard box in the attic. Isn't that what attics were invented for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've combined the following.

Zooloretto and Aquaretto
Age of Steam and Steam
Wallenstein (second edition) and Shogun
Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
, but I sure do like getting rid of things and having as little as possible.

I'm with you on this, but combining multiple games in one box just seems like a hassle. I do like being able to grab a game and all its expansion in one go and I get real satisfaction in crushing expansion boxes.

The exception is in my small box travel games. We have this one shoebox-sized plastic container that lives in our car. I love seeing how many games I can cram into that one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
I dunno, something about keeping multiple games in the one box doesn't appeal to me, and not just because I'm such a dope that I'm likely to forget which games are in which boxes.

I am such a dope. Once, to save space in the car ride home from my in-laws' house, I put the Dungeon Lords expansion into another game box. Two or three weeks later, I couldn't remember where I put it. I found it probably two months later.

I do combine expansions, as well as stand-alone expansions (Zombicide/Prison Outbreak, 51st State/New Era, Hemloch/Hemloch: Age of Darkness, Geistesblitz/Geistesblitz 2.0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long been considering doing this with all of my card-based games. Just taking them all out, putting the cards in deckboxes, and then storing them all (along with tokens, etc) in a smaller number of plastic storage bins. Could free up a good bit of shelf space this way, but it wouldn't look as nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions go into the base game box and the expansion box gets thrown out for the most part. There are some games I can't do that with like Zombicide. It just won't fit.

I only have two separate games I've consolidated into one box:Roma and Arena: Roma II. But, they're basically the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be possible to pair games up so that you can put everything in the smaller box, and then put that in the bigger box. Then put a post-it/sticker on the side saying what the other game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I combined games years ago and then couldn't find a number of games. After they showed up, in another box, months and years later, I stopped combining games to avoid losing track of them. We combine expansions when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see a large amount of people saying that they keep the boxes for expansions even if they combine them.
I've had to pass up at least 10 lots over the past two months of a game that I wanted that had multiple expansions but none of the other boxes. I see the listing saying that everything is combine in one box or will be shipped in only one box, ask if the other boxes are at least available with the bundle, and then 'nope' my way right out of there upon finding out that the boxes are long-thrown-away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I solve this problem by pretty much exclusively owning games with expansions that barely fit in their base game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.