Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else find the two player version somewhat unbalanced? I trounced my husband last night and I started to think about why. Here's what I came up with:

- The rules have you give the winning player of each category the first player points. So if I win, let's say, the most black and gray coal carts, that's 25 points for me and none for him. This makes for very uneven scoring. Next time we play, we're going to use the second place scores for a two player game and see how that works out.

- I was first player in the first and second rounds. First round was random, second was because I had the most workers in the coal cart area. This gave me a real advantage. I think next time, we're going to give the second player monetary compensation ($4 or $6) and we're going to just take turns going first instead of counting.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moline
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it with 2 players yet, so I'll be curious to see if I have a similar experience.

That said, it seems like both of the things you mention are at least somewhat within the control of the players themselves. If your husband let you get a majority in black and gray and also let you hold on to first player, then to a certain degree that's on him (unless, of course, the luck of the draw had the coal cart area devoid of black and gray on his turns, which is possible, but seems like it would be very rare).

I'm not saying you're wrong at all; I really don't know. These are just my impressions having only played it with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
I definitely agree with giving the winner in each category points for the second place. I've also played it with 2 players a few times, and that seemed a bit unbalanced. It will also restore the balance between category scoring and contract scoring. We'll definitely try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manjula Guneratne
Canada
North York
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have a shrink copy of this game and am seriously thinking of trading it away after reading this thread. Has anyone's opinions changed for 2p game play of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
I decided not to keep it, so no, my opinion didn't go up any since this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't trade it!

In my opinion, one of the most underated games of the last years...
And as a 2 player game works perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.