Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation.... the race leader plays a track card (say a +6) on the approach to a corner with the intention of moving through that corner. He encounters an unlapped car, performs a leader lap check, and fails thus losing all remaining movement. He never reached the corner listed on the track card.

Could he have played that track card if there was a risk he couldn't reach the corner? He had the movement to get there, but lost it .... we house ruled it but nice to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess no based on a similar ruling concerning LB spaces. You can't use the track card and late-brake into a corner to satisfy the card because there is no certainty that you will succeed. I would think the same principle applies here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stan is right. You cannot play a track card unless it is guaranteed to get you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want Alessandro Lala's second opinion on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:

Don't trust me? :)

You can't play them if you cannot guarantee you can make it. Afterall, they represent you're knowledge of said corner. How did you take advantage of that corner if you never made it to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shilinski wrote:
I'd guess no based on a similar ruling concerning LB spaces. You can't use the track card and late-brake into a corner to satisfy the card because there is no certainty that you will succeed. I would think the same principle applies here.

So, following that through, you can play the track if you pass a leader check with a card from your hand, but are forbidden to play the track card if you decide to use a blind check instead?

Is that how you read it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, you cannot play the track card if you have to do a leader check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

Don't trust me?

You can't play them if you cannot guarantee you can make it. Afterall, they represent you're knowledge of said corner. How did you take advantage of that corner if you never made it to it?
The way you put it here, it makes senses, but I still like to hear what AL is saying about it. After all he did design the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

Don't trust me?

I Agree.

If you have to make a blind check, sorry, you don't have guarantee, therefore, you can't play the track card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Slotracer wrote:

Don't trust me?

I Agree.

If you have to make a blind check, sorry, you don't have guarantee, therefore, you can't play the track card.

I guess my question has become if you can guarantee the check with a check card from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to use the track card everybody must know at the moment you play your movement cards that you will be using the associated corner section.
Therefore leader checks (any type), late braking and other conditional events prevent the use of the tracking card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:
In order to use the track card everybody must know at the moment you play your movement cards that you will be using the associated corner section.
Therefore leader checks (any type), late braking and other conditional events prevent the use of the tracking card.

I understand that the ruling on the OP scenario is no, that because he couldn't guarantee moving thru the corner that corresponded to the track card, the track card could not be played.

However, what if it was a check that was failed and stopped movement AFTER the corner had been traversed, thus the player did fully complete the corresponding track card corner, but failed to make it through the next one after losing remaining movement points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
However, what if it was a check that was failed and stopped movement AFTER the corner had been traversed, thus the player did fully complete the corresponding track card corner, but failed to make it through the next one after losing remaining movement points?

I assume that would be fine, as the Track card corner was used with no risks/checks beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

I assume that would be fine, as the Track card corner was used with no risks/checks beforehand.

Kewl, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Fuchet
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does exist limit of movement?

The other day, mixing track card, normal card plus trayectory bonus plus hazard strategy made me move about 9 squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFuch wrote:
Does exist limit of movement?

The other day, mixing track card, normal card plus trayectory bonus plus hazard strategy made me move about 9 squares.

Don't think so. I've moved 12 sections (once!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
No limit. I think a dream turn could be
+4 +3 (track card) +2 trajec + 3 hazard + 1 SOFT +2 LB
for a total 15 movement points. surprise
Never seen it in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry to rehash this one guys.

My logic tells my that if you need to pass a check in order to get to the section of the track card, and you have a card in your hand that can be used to guarantee this then that would be ok. I would have thought that when playing the movement cards you would play the card used for the check at the same time.

I know AL has spoken on this and I will take his ruling as final. The problem I have is I keep arguing with my logic on this.

BTW. 15 movement in one turn. Now that would be epic.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:

Perfect!
We have 'only' moved 11 once as the highest.
Now we can hardly get over 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:

My logic tells my that if you need to pass a check in order to get to the section of the track card, and you have a card in your hand that can be used to guarantee this then that would be ok. I would have thought that when playing the movement cards you would play the card used for the check at the same time.

I know AL has spoken on this and I will take his ruling as final. The problem I have is I keep arguing with my logic on this.

Cheers.

I believe what Alessandro is stating is that a track card cannot be played if arrival in that turn relies upon any conditional event (regardless of whether or not you possess a card that would guarantee you meeting that condition). I believe that the logic behind that statement is internally consistent. The alternative would be a rule that only applies part of the time, depending on circumstances external to the rule. (You might call that a Schrodinger rule.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:

Cheers.

If you play two Race cards, then you don't move (from one card), make a check for a LB and then move again (from the other card). So why would you do it, if you play one Race card and one Tracl card or two Track cards??? It just doesn't make sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:

Wait, unless I'm missing something, doesn't this scenario contradict this statement above with regards to Late Braking?:

Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
Greenskid wrote:

Wait, unless I'm missing something, doesn't this scenario contradict this statement above with regards to Late Braking?:

Quote:

It depends. If the corner for which the track card was played was entered prior to the late braking, then it's fine. If entering the corner for which the track card applies relies on a successful late braking, then you can't do it. Late braking actually occurs after all movement is completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can pull off a move of 15, there won't be many track cards you _can't_ play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.