• [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question!Short answer is Yes for me.

There are different ways to play solo rules for games and it is just a matter of preference. For me the solo game rules give me the opportunity to play the game in different ways depending on what kind of experience I want. When I am playing against the AI the solo rules provide that bit of unpredictability needed to make the game challenging. Remember there are still victory conditions to be met just as if I was playing a face to face games. Instead of playing both sides and knowing exactly what each side is going to do the solo rules give me something to react to just like a face to face game; however, playing against my daughter could never be replaced by any solo rules. The social aspect of playing someone is one of the key elements that make our hobby fun.

Now the other way I like to use the solo rules is to watch the movie play out. In this case I don't play either side but I watch the action unfold allowing me to get caught up in the drama. To me, the best movies I watch or the best books I've ever read we're usually because I couldn't predict what was going to happen in the story. It is the nervous energy of not knowing how it is going to turn out that makes a good movie,book, or game a nail biter.

So to answer your question if the solo rules help to make this game fun. I would say yes because it gives me more opportunities to play this game in different ways. To play the game without solo rules and just play both sides it feels like I'm cheating the system and the original intention of the game. It leaves me hollow. At least when I play with the solo rules I feel like I'm getting some of the essence of the gaming experience intended by the game designer. Cowboys was meant to be a quick action shoot out game just like Hollywood, I still feel like I can experience that kind of action playing solo.

In short, if you can't find an opponent, give the solo rules a try and let yourself a get carried away in the unpredictability of the story. Just like life.

See you at the saloon after the gunfight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray,
Thank you for responding with a great post. I bought the game based upon this.
Thanks
Rich

Raygun1966 wrote:
Great question!Short answer is Yes for me.

There are different ways to play solo rules for games and it is just a matter of preference. For me the solo game rules give me the opportunity to play the game in different ways depending on what kind of experience I want. When I am playing against the AI the solo rules provide that bit of unpredictability needed to make the game challenging. Remember there are still victory conditions to be met just as if I was playing a face to face games. Instead of playing both sides and knowing exactly what each side is going to do the solo rules give me something to react to just like a face to face game; however, playing against my daughter could never be replaced by any solo rules. The social aspect of playing someone is one of the key elements that make our hobby fun.

Now the other way I like to use the solo rules is to watch the movie play out. In this case I don't play either side but I watch the action unfold allowing me to get caught up in the drama. To me, the best movies I watch or the best books I've ever read we're usually because I couldn't predict what was going to happen in the story. It is the nervous energy of not knowing how it is going to turn out that makes a good movie,book, or game a nail biter.

So to answer your question if the solo rules help to make this game fun. I would say yes because it gives me more opportunities to play this game in different ways. To play the game without solo rules and just play both sides it feels like I'm cheating the system and the original intention of the game. It leaves me hollow. At least when I play with the solo rules I feel like I'm getting some of the essence of the gaming experience intended by the game designer. Cowboys was meant to be a quick action shoot out game just like Hollywood, I still feel like I can experience that kind of action playing solo.

In short, if you can't find an opponent, give the solo rules a try and let yourself a get carried away in the unpredictability of the story. Just like life.

See you at the saloon after the gunfight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do post whatever thoughts you may have after playing a couple of games, Rich.

CtWotG is a fun little game, in my opinion. Even though it is not the most complex game around, Cowboys can be a lot of old school fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy the game, for the price the action is worth it.

Funny thing for me is to look at all the great games that are on shelf right now but this game just has a hold on me. I really want to get to Robinson Caruso eventually but I've gotta get this cowboy bug out of my system. My family is having to put up with cowboy movies and this game....Lola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:
Please do post whatever thoughts you may have after playing a couple of games, Rich.

CtWotG is a fun little game, in my opinion. Even though it is not the most complex game around, Cowboys can be a lot of old school fun.

Indeed. I think the reason it got such a poor reception upon the initial release was that it was just a TAD too light. If the subsequent Advanced rules that Worthington issued had been included in the box it would have fared better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree, the advanced rules would of helped to sustain the game base longer. After I first bought it a couple of years ago and played the first couple scenarios I was stunned that there wasn't more to the game. I found the advanced rules later but by then the spark was gone and so it sat on my shelf nagging at me to find or create some way that would allow me to play it solo.

My 13 and 9 year old daughters liked it when I first bought it (which says something about the complexity) but it faded quickly. Now we play with the advanced rules with a few tweaks and they like it much better....gunning down your dad in a cowboy town doesn't seem to get old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raygun1966 wrote:

I agree, the advanced rules would of helped to sustain the game base longer. After I first bought it a couple of years ago and played the first couple scenarios I was stunned that there wasn't more to the game. I found the advanced rules later but by then the spark was gone and so it sat on my shelf nagging at me to find or create some way that would allow me to play it solo.

My 13 and 9 year old daughters liked it when I first bought it (which says something about the complexity) but it faded quickly. Now we play with the advanced rules with a few tweaks and they like it much better....gunning down your dad in a cowboy town doesn't seem to get old.

laugh My youngest daughter has expressed some interest in trying this one, & I'm sure she'll cotton to it for the same reason.

If you're looking for more ideas for "Cowboys" or just want to try something else, do give Outlaws: Adventures in the Old West a look. A free print & play that is well worth it.

It's not so different than "Cowboys" (especially the version YOU'RE playing! ) but adds more detail (than vanilla "Cowboys") without being any more complex really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to check out the rule book tonight. I just got done reading your review and I'm intrigued about how the system works.. Thanks for the tip...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.