Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Piccoli
Argentina
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I currently own Tsuro of the Seas. I bought it after watching the original Tsuro played at Tabletop. Since in TotS you can play original Tsuro, as well as throwing Haikaju in the mix for extra randomness and build tension, and also the flavor and art looks so much better, I went for this version.

After a few plays I had some underwhelming experiences with it. The Haikaiju are fiddly, moving them adds book keeping every turn, some rules make players eliminated from the game by a single unlucky dice roll and player elimination with high player counts made my friends feel frustrated.

After reading reviews of Indigo, and looking at the gameplay I can see that:
- It removes player elimination from the equation.
- Adding tiles to anywhere on the board makes the game more strategic.
- It's beatiful to look at, even more than tsuro.
- Since you don't eliminate players with strategic moves, you don't feel "mean".
- Rules for movement of the stones is the same as tsuro.
- Trying to make stones exit in your spots is more exciting than trying to keep a single piece inside the board.
- Supports only 4 players while Tsuro supports 8. BUT: If you're playing an 8 player game and get eliminated right away, you will be bored for the rest of the match.

All in all, everything seems better in Indigo than in Tsuro. I may be under the wrong impression here so I wanted to know opinions of gamers who played both games.

Do you recommend that I sell my copy of Tsuro to get Indigo?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Tsuro is completely replaced by Indigo, although I never actually owned Tsuro. A friend does however, and my wife was pushing me to pick up a copy. I found this, and now we've agreed there's no need for Tsuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hageman
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it replaced Tsuro for all the reasons you mentioned plus the table talking that ensues that comes from forming temporary alliances with other players. Also we have had fun playing 2 on 2 partnership games. Not sure if that is in the rules or our variant but it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasmaxi wrote:
Do you recommend that I sell my copy of Tsuro to get Indigo?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Did this game replace or fire Tsuro?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.

Go ask the same question on the Tsuro forums and you'll get a different prevailing opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was already looking for Tsuro when I bought Indigo and then I stopped looking, especially after we found a way to play a Tsuro variant with the Indigo board. Of course, it's not quite the same, but it keeps the kids happy and it saves me 25 to 35 euro on a copy of Tsuro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the dogpile and say that Indigo is much more interesting than Tsuro. To me, Tsuro is just one step above a pleasant time-waster/activity/puzzle, whereas Indigo is an actual game.

I prefer it to Metro as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
I'll join the dogpile and say that Indigo is much more interesting than Tsuro. To me, Tsuro is just one step above a pleasant time-waster/activity/puzzle, whereas Indigo is an actual game.

I prefer it to Metro as well.

Emphasis added by me. I couldn't agree more. I've played this with my family and co-workers on lunch time. No matter who I play it with, they always love it and want to play again. Lots of table-talk and negotations and flat-out laughter all around.

Highly recommend it. I would suggest though, that you play with 4 players if possible. I find that to be more enjoyable over 3 (which is the only other number I've played it with). Having every exit shared really changes the dynamic, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Piccoli
Argentina
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, good stuff!

I'll definitely try out this game. It looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Indigo yet, but I have to point out the obvious. The reason why Tsuro is in my collection is because there's no other game that can be played in 20 minutes by 8 players. It's a great opener to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I haven't played Indigo yet, but I have to point out the obvious. The reason why Tsuro is in my collection is because there's no other game that can be played in 20 minutes by 8 players. It's a great opener to non-gamers.

Try BANG! The Dice Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Piccoli
Argentina
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Besides Bang! The Dice Game, Mascarade works really well too. Another 8 player quick easy going option is Concept. It's great fun and can be learnt in a breeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I do have Bang! The Dice Game, you're right that is another game that fields up to 8. Also just recently picked up Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition). Tsuro hardly ever comes out, but there's still a few times a year where it's just perfect for banging something out in no time when you don't want to have to explain rules for 5+ minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bak
United Kingdom
Alfreton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
In the UK, Indigo (£17) is much cheaper than Tsuro (£28) at Amazon. I enjoyed Indigo more but wouldn't buy both. If you can manage a swap (or a good trade) yes, worth a realignment! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard about Indigo today and am looking forward to trying it.

I can say this already though; I have often used Tsuro as a quick and easy to teach filler that supports up to 8 people without getting longer as people are added. That is a role that is very hard to fill.

So even if Indigo is better, I don't see how Indigo can replace it completely since Indigo appears to only support up to 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found Indigo at B&N in the clearance 50% off sale going on and picked it up for 20 bucks. I was interested in Tsuro initially and played friends copy once or twice and was underwhelmed by it.
Also didn't quite like player elimination and that i couldn't place my tile wherever i wanted to mess with other people, it essentially comes down to will i draw the lucky tile that will let me survive. Needless to say had stopped looking but when i saw Indigo my immediate thoughts were this looks like tsuro but could it be any different? Checked on my phone for reviews and I instantly bought it. Haven't even opened it but from the videos i saw I can tell its way better, way more involved and takes actual thought to play. Sorry tsuro but, like Smaug before you, you have been killed by a black arrow and its name is Indigo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tron

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is really great! Really fun quick thinking game.meeple
My friends wanted to play it a few times back to back. It works great with 2 and 3. haven't tried 4 yet but I'm sure its just as excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro is not a deep game. If you have a few players waiting for the other players to arrive on gaming night, Tsuro is a nice undemanding filler that keeps players pleasantly occupied.

Some players say that Tsuro is an abstract game. "Wow I played an abstract game that I like!" That is a bit like someone feeling that they are an opera buff because they like Gilbert and Sullivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicente Chiner
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me how I can get that Tsuro variant played on a Indigo board ?.Have you got it? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.