Subject: Do you use board game "enhancers"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you bother with things like card mats, sand timers, card shufflers etc?

Do you have a favourite or most useful gaming accessory?

If you play right out of the box why do you not use extra enhancers when you game?

Do you think products like this enhance your gaming experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites (and the only ones I really use) are card mats and a dice tray. Card mats are nice because they make picking up cards much easier than picking them up off of a hard surface. Plus they look cool and don't scratch up the cards. I also use one of those leather trays meant to hold stuff you empty from your pockets (keys, change, phone, etc.) to roll dice into. It reduces the noise from dice rolling, which is important when you have a baby in the house, and keeps dice from knocking components around and flying off the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a dice tower...keeps the dice nice and contained and has less of a footprint than the box top most times.

I also use a chess clock for some games. My son and I have found, for example, that Dungeon Command works better for us with time controls.

Play mats, not so much. I did download and laminate the ones for Quarriors, but mainly because it helped gameplay, not to protect anything.

Although, my friend brings playmats whenever he brings his MTG Legacy and Vintage decks over.

I certainly think things like this can enhance the experience. It can expedite or facilitate some of the logistics, but some things like playmats just look cool.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Barker
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
We have an egg timer that we bring out for the heavier brain-burn games to keep AP down to a minimum, but otherwise no (although we do find that a bottle of Jameson "enhances" the experience )

Is that something you all agreed on? I have a sand timer and have debated trying to enforce it for some of our games just not sure how it would go over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a cover on my gaming table which is essentially mouse pad material.

I have 2 wood dice towers (one for each side of the table) built out of leftovers from the table (mainly because my wife and kids have problems actually ROLLING the dice, and a tray is NOT going to fix that).

And a card shuffler because so many of my card games have a HUGE number of cards (Cutthroat Caverns, Cosmic Encounter, etc.) that it is needed to be able to shuffle those massive decks (plus they are only like $15 on Amazon, hard to go wrong there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice tray (or tower) is essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbarker wrote:
Do you have a favourite or most useful gaming accessory?
Pen/pencil and paper. To record the scores for posterity and future amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some card mats, and a dice tower, but hardly ever use them. I don't think I've even seen the dice tower in over a year. I like the *idea* of both, but in practice they are just 'more stuff' to me, and rarely have been worth their use over the table real estate they take up.

Edit: I do use sleeves for card based games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a large piece of felt cloth I picked up for like $2 as a scrap from a linen shop. It's enough to cover the whole table and not only help to protect the table, but is a softer surface with some give to help pick up cards and components.

I also have a stacked card holder. I got the idea from these forums and picked one up cheaply at Staples. Haven't really had a NEED to use it until Eldritch Horror which has 13 (!!!) different decks of cards! I wouldn't have enough room to lay them all out on the table without the card holders.

I also have my own supply of different colored glass beads which I use as counters--they feel better to toss around than cardboard--various dice, and of course tons of sleeves on many of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Martinez
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice tray
This helps the game go faster not have to go looking for stray dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use small wooden or plastic bowls for holding cubes, currency, etc.
And I have a few shallow wooden dishes I've converted into dice trays. Never play without these things because they help games stay organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeves. (The medium-priced/quality, 4 euros per 100.)

They make cards easier to shuffle, and secondarily they protect them from scuffing (after only a few plays of 7 Wonders the black border showed the signs of giving out), grease, and almost, but not totally, from the occasional spill. Sleeves also make it impossible to distinguish base game and expansion cards even when they are purchased at different times.

Good lighting.

Both overhead and ambient, diffuse lighting.

(I have also bought gems and cubes of various colors, but they are primarily for one specific game, and not used as general gaming accessories.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a young man in the 60s and 70s, using enhancers while gaming was de rigueur. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally do not use enhancers. I'm pretty happy playing most games with whatever comes in the box. I did buy some small chips that have values from 1 - 500 on one side and are blank on the other side. I occasionally use these instead of paper money for games like Saint Petersburg. The only thing I can think of that I would really like to get is a dice tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
I have a cover on my gaming table which is essentially mouse pad material.

Where did you get the mousepad material? I would be interested in making my own 3x3 mat out of the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
You call me a masterless man? You are wrong. I am my own master.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use card sleeves, and almost always bring out the dice tower. I can't stand the idea of my cards getting scuffed up, and the dice tower keeps things nice and neat, as well as making everyone feel that every roll received a proper jostling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use dice trays but we also use plastic sheets for games the board doesn't lie flat or where tiles are laid out at the beginning of the game like Settlers of Catan or Zombicide.

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we're using more and more:

* Stackable glass bowls so we can pour bits back into their baggies easily at the end of the game, and to make things easy to grab.

* Beautiful dice - bought mainly for playing Pathfinder.

* Miniatures - we bought the first Reaper minis set, and use these for our characters in Pathfinder, and any other games where they're appropriate

* Treasure Chest - we backed Jamey's recent Kickstarter for realistic wood, iron ore, gems, stone and bricks, and look forward to enhancing all manner of games with them.

* Coins - we bought a set of coins with Tuscany, and then another set with the Treasure Chest which should give us enough for many of our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and use trays and towers for dice. I find the footprint of the game lends itself to what accessories work best.

Surprised that there's not much mention of card racks. I use dice towers and card racks for War of the Ring, and I would say both enhance game play, for our group at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Yes, we're using more and more:

* Stackable glass bowls so we can pour bits back into their baggies easily at the end of the game, and to make things easy to grab.

What a great idea! Always an annoyance here. Going to try it next game night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a wargamer, so plexiglass and tile spacers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:

Whoops, Joe's post reminded me that I DO use mini poker chips in games that come with paper money. Sadly, going back to what I said about it being another thing to futz around with, those games now don't get played as often because I don't want to haul the chips with me to game days and don't want to play with the paper money.

That's an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In my games bag, I have one Plano 3449, which holds about (and I'm guessing) 80-90 of the mini clay poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
When I was a young man in the 60s and 70s, using enhancers while gaming was de rigueur. whistle

When I clicked on the title I assumed this is what op was going to be talking about.
But yes I use play mats because it does make it easier to pick cards up off the table. I need to get a dice tray to stop those who love throwingn dice like there is no tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do sleeves count? I sleeve almost every game I can aside from ones with ridiculous numbers of cards (AH, BSG and the like). I like the protection it provides, but more importantly it gives the cards are slightly more substantial feel.

Edit: Ah, I do have Game Chips as well. Those are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will frequently pimp out my games with better storage solutions, laminating, player aids, card sleeves, etc, but i've never seen the benefit of dice towers, trays, or playmats (unless they have important game information printed on them). I think it is probably because I play in so many different locations (home, friend's houses, local game store, etc) that it's just not convenient to lug around tools that won't fit inside the game boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.