Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know lots of people in the non-US places have started to receive their copies already. As someone who likely won't have it for another four weeks or so, I'm very curious how this new piece plays.

Has anyone played with it yet? What was your impressions? Did it add a lot or a little? I'd love to hear what you thought of it. If someone wanted to post a mini-review for it that would be stellar; I'm curious about whether I should be excited for this to come or not, haha.

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 player game with it. I will try to write a review.
But in short none of the point cards we had applied to it. We had quadrants, every horizontal line and one horizontal line.
We made the island more horizontal lines to make it worth going to but because we were all fighting for the quadrants and the island ability only allowed you to move not add more pieces only one player went to the island.

We want to play it again without quadrants. But overall we were underwhelmed with the island. It does not add much except a little more space for 5 players, if you can get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, that's exactly what I was afraid of. That's kind of a bummer. I wish they had thought this through a bit more before just picking the island as the promo, as it doesn't seem to work with many combinations of cards. Would have much preferred it to just be one new board to mix in with the others or something. I don't know, but KS promos are supposed to be fun and exciting, not just add more space for five players.

Oh well. I really appreciate your reply! At least my hopes won't be set too high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle it doesn't bug me very much that it's not so valuable to build on the island if all 3 goal cards are explicitly about quadrants/main map. That's just a strategic decision to make; with many other goal cards, the island would be worth it (e.g. it has 2 locations close to each other, so Merchants can give you 8 points on the island; it has lots of water for Fishermen; it has mountains for miners; ...). And in any case it has a castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suizul R
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as I see it:

Scoring possible on Island:
-Fishermen
-Miners (only one side has mountains)
-Workers
-Merchants
-Hermits
-Citizens (not too much because of lacking space)

-Families
-Ambassadors
-Shepherds

-Home Country
-Fortress
-Place of Refuge
-Road (only if the shoreline is buildable with the harbour and such)

Scoring not possible on Island:
-Discoverers
-Knights
-Lords
-Farmers

-Advance
-Compass Points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three times including the island and so far it hasn't had a single settlement placed on it.

I think the smoke monster keeps chasing everyone away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fitzyfitz wrote:
I've played three times including the island and so far it hasn't had a single settlement placed on it.

I think the smoke monster keeps chasing everyone away.

I guess we'll just have to wait until travel-by-plane is invented in Kingdom Builder world. Then maybe it will get a little more attention.

That could take quite awhile though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there's already a ship...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Suizul wrote:
As far as I see it:
-Discoverers

Just for the record:
The rules mention Discoverers can score points from Island!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TermiGator wrote:
Suizul wrote:
As far as I see it:
-Discoverers

Just for the record:
The rules mention Discoverers can score points from Island!

It also says Knights is possible if your longest straight line happens to be on the island. Since there isn't much room there this isn't likely to happen, but its still possible!

Which only leaves the "sector" oriented cards, Farmers and Lords as not scoring on the islands. I created a thread about this (which Donald X helpfully posted in!), but I see no reason why the island shouldn't just count as a fifth sector. It would make those two cards even more interesting when the Island is around and I cannot think of any reason it would break anything. And it sounds like the only reason it isn't a sector is because Queen asked for a promo and Donald gave them the island as it had already been played with before being cut, without play testing it any more or changing any rules. So really it only doesn't count as a sector because there wasn't time to test it as one.

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas about that and wants to comment on it in this thread that would be super helpful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.