GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: suggestions/critiques for my Regionals squad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Saturday just freed up, and my wife gave me the okay to leave her with the kids for the day, so it looks like I'll be able to attend the Boston Regionals after all. I wasn't originally planning to go, and I've played maybe once or twice since Imdaar Alpha, so I have to pick a squad that I just feel comfortable flying based on past experience. I have plenty of experience flying 4-ship Rebel squads, so I'd like to throw out a couple of ideas and see what you guys think.

Option 1
Wedge + swarm tactics
Biggs
2x Blue Squadron

I really love X-Wings, but I also know that Blues are more durable, so like a gazillion other people, I like the 2X2B variety. I can fly the Bs and Xs in formation just fine, and I know how to fly Biggs well enough to take advantage of his ability. This build gives me 2 3-dice shots at PS9, which I'm hoping is a great counter to any Phantoms I come across, plus a decent counter to other high PS ships I run into. Assuming Biggs and Wedge go down first and second, I'm still left with 2 Blues, which is solid.

Option 2
Biggs
Rookie + shield upgrade
2x Blue Squadron + adv sensors

Another 2X2B option. I only have 2 Bs, which is why I have an X with a shield in there. I drop Wedge and some PS but gain adv sensors on the Bs plus a shield on an X.

In case you're wondering, here's what I have to work with: 4X, 2Y, 1 YT, 2A, 2B, 1HWK, 3E, 4 Z-95, 6TIE, 1 TIE Adv, 3 Ints, 1 Imp Aces, 4 bombers, 1 shuttle, 1 defender, 2 phantoms.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played and seen lately, Phantoms and YT-1300's have been wrecking up traditional 4 Rebel builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:
In the games I've played and seen lately, Phantoms and YT-1300's have been wrecking up traditional 4 Rebel builds.

YT's really? I would imagine it would be just like before which is they tend to split it.

Phantoms I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stilgar Fremenleader
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're ok with moving away from the 2X2B style, I've used (and seen used) a simple 4X build to good effect:

Wedge
Luke
Rookie
Rookie

99 points total, pretty easy to fly. Haven't had a ton of experience vs. Phantoms on it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
LocutusZero wrote:

YT's really? I would imagine it would be just like before which is they tend to split it.

Phantoms I believe.

I'll grant I'm dealing with a small sample size, but Predator, 3PO, R2, etc. are making the YTs a little stronger and leas dependent on actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Crittenden
msg tools
mb
I fly a very similar list:
Wedge
Biggs with R7 astromech (helps Biggs last an extra turn usually)
2x blue squadron

I like how you gave Wedge swarm tactics though. 2 PS9 shots should really help against Phantoms as long as you can spread out your arcs while still remaining within range 1 of Wedge. Could be tough to coordinate for more than 2 combat rounds though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:

Option 1
Wedge + swarm tactics
Biggs
2x Blue Squadron

I really love X-Wings, but I also know that Blues are more durable, so like a gazillion other people, I like the 2X2B variety. I can fly the Bs and Xs in formation just fine, and I know how to fly Biggs well enough to take advantage of his ability. This build gives me 2 3-dice shots at PS9, which I'm hoping is a great counter to any Phantoms I come across, plus a decent counter to other high PS ships I run into. Assuming Biggs and Wedge go down first and second, I'm still left with 2 Blues, which is solid.

I played this exact list once before Wave 4. I went 3-1 with it. My loss was against Chewie + PTL and two B-wings. My loss was mainly down to me maneuvering poorly with Biggs early on, letting through a world of hurt on one of my B-wings at close range.

I did manage to knock down Chewie right after Biggs went down, leaving me poorly positioned on the board, but with Wedge and two B-wings (although one had no shields) versus his two healthy B-wings. He completely outmaneuvered me from this point onward, so I would say the loss was down to poor piloting more than anything else.

The list hits nice and hard, and is pretty survivable if Biggs is used properly. I would be concerned about its maneuverability versus phantoms though, even more so if the opponent has Whisper + Veteran Instincts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic
msg tools
I've used Biggs Walks the Dogs (Biggs, 2x Dagger + Adv. Sensors, Rookie) at Minnesota regionals (made top 8, wave 4 not out yet) and at Arizona regionals (made top 4, wave 4 legal). Personally, I've played Biggs Walks the Dogs against Wedge+Swarm Tactics/Biggs/2x Blue and it's been VERY close. I had BARELY beat it to win a Store Championship (his Blue with 3 hull left vs. my Dagger + AdvS with 2 hull left) and only beat it again at an Imdaar event because his Wedge fell short of completing a k-turn.

Arizona regionals was the week when Wave 4 officially came out and they had made it legal. I was a bit hesitant to take XXBB but since it was the list I had been most comfortable playing I figured why not. I was scared I'd have to face a phantom list but I didn't face a single one. I think most players' thoughts were either "OMG a phantom, I gotta fly it at regionals!!!" or "Crap, I cant't fly a phantom well enough to be competitive, better take a falcon to counter it in case people show up with phantoms" and I ended up playing mostly against falcon builds which XXBB is amazing against.

To practice for Chicago regionals coming up this weekend I've tried the XXBB list against previous Wave 4-legal winners' builds and have lost to most of them so that's made me change up my mind about XXBB. I've started practicing with the Falcon again and I think I'm going to take that instead. Just my two cents, hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:

Option 1
Wedge + swarm tactics
Biggs
2x Blue Squadron

This list should do quite well. There should be lots of Phantoms and Falcons. BBXX lists have traditionally down quite well against Falcons. And with 2 PS9 ships, Echo will have his hands full. Defeating Whipser will depend a lot on initiative, but you should be okay, especially since Whisper will have to come and get Biggs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.