Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I own the game and the first expansion.
The first expansion definitely improved the game... yet it has two issues for our gaming group.

a.) it takes very very long... played with 4 or 5.
b.) it has very little player interaction. You can't conquer other's planets. You can't interfere... it feels very much like dominion (in a negative way). The only mechanic is analysis (paralysis) and denial in addition to player order (somehow it feels like a very big splendor. At least it carries its theme whereas splendor just fails horrible here).

Some people may like that, we did not. So: Does this expansion help with length (e.g. shortens the game) and/or interaction (e.g. negotiation, bluff, direct confrontation, reaction, threatening, teamplay, betrayal etc... any of these?)

Just take a look at Cosmic Encounter - it is the complete opposite despite a similar theme (it has its weaknesses too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
How long? We routinely play 3-player games with GO in 2 hours flat. (Compared to the base game's 90 minutes, but that is only an impression, maybe we were rushing it.)

If you have analysis paralysis, adding any new options will extend the game, Revolution is not going to change that.

However, if you set up a routine (one player does the end of round activities), and parallelize the actions as much as you are able, you are going to be able to shorten the game. I.e. "I'm deploying." "I'm too." "So am I", all of them can be performed in parallel, provided the players respect the idea that they are not going to look at what the next players are actually deploying. Only when it matters what the previous player actually does, then wait for its completion. The same with conquering. As soon as a player has decided to conquer and named a planet, the next player is free (but not required) to start their action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read, Core Worlds is long with four or five even without the expansion. I've only ever played with two players, but Galactic Orders makes it longer, so I'd inagine that it would get longer again with four or five. I'm guessing Revolutions isn't going to shorten the game at all, but I don't really know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution does not shorten the game, but it does not add new processes to lengthen the game either. It certainly creates more avenues for player choice, so the first time or two that you play with the new expansion, players will take some time to reflect on those choices.

There are some new opportunities for direct player interaction, but there are not new mechanics for invading other player's worlds or anything of that nature. There are some new Heroic Tactics, however, that allow you to mess with your opponents. For example, after deploying some ships to his Warzone, Warlord Hosk can beseige a World in the Central Zone, making it harder for other players to conquer it. Albrecht has a particularly rough (but expensive) Tactic that forces the other players to discard 1 Unit of their choice from their Warzones.

In general, the Tactics add more mystery to the player's turns, although as players become more familiar with them, they will learn to prepare for them too. For example, if someone chooses to draft Albrecht and his Tactics, players will often deploy a Grunt or Snub and not use them just in case Albrecht plays "Ravager" later in the game.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome to me.

I think that, as Andrew mentions, familiarity with the game/expansions will make things faster. The reason that Galactic Orders adds time to my games (it seems to me) is that we're not yet that familiar with everything, so we have to remember to add tokens, scan the Orders to see what powers we might benefit from, replace flipped Event cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
We did parallelize some of it. 5p game took like 3.5-4 hours. Thats one round of BSG or two+ rounds of arctic scavengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players is definitely not optimal for every group. Only if you have 5 very decisive players will you will be able to finish it in 2 hours with 5 players.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 5p games with and without GO. Not much maybe 30m+ - the base game just took too long for us. I realize some won't care but an expansion may also streamline, shorten games. Frankly I can see that this AND more player interaction are hard to combine.

P.s also, in the same time a 4-5p GO plays one can play a 6p Rex/Dune... Thats more the issue with our heavy/lots playing players group.

Dont get me wrong. Thus game has its shine, but the more I play the more I watch out for downtime, AP and total return for how much time spend. This killed some totally different and otherwise still good games for me already, like bang or large group king of Tokyo or egizia or almost even BSG and Junta.

Good luck with the expansion.

P.s.: 3p sounds like a sweet spot then for GO. Might try again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
I realize some won't care but an expansion may also streamline, shorten games.

I don't know of any expansions that shorten games. I could very well be wrong, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Quote:
P.s.: 3p sounds like a sweet spot then for GO. Might try again!

Sounds like that would be better for your group. I have yet to play five-player CW, but I think three players might be better for me and my group, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
We did parallelize some of it. 5p game took like 3.5-4 hours. Thats one round of BSG or two+ rounds of arctic scavengers.

We play a 4/5-player BSG with all expansions to Kobol in 2-2.5 hours (and sometimes even to Earth), sometimes less, so at least your group is consistent. whistle

We usually play Core Worlds with 3, and the length is pretty consistently 120-125 minutes. We did play with 5 once (with two new players), and it did not feel too long. I don't even know if it took 4 hours or less. But the game is a bit different with 5: the randomness comes more from the players, while with low player counts it comes from the makeup of the central zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
I don't know of any expansions that shorten games. I could very well be wrong, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows supposedly. We will be most probably testing it next Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsg with caprica and pegasus with 5 players in 2.5 including setup is blazing fast and not usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
As fir the games feel, yes. We did slso play one gsme with 3 and it feels different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Core worlds is played for its depth and its strategy. It is a deeply involved game which forces one to make critical decisions. It can take a little longer, but is certainly worth the time investment.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want a shorter game. I LOVE coreworlds for the fact that its a very analytical game. Not to mention, I love purposeful deckbuilding. Really looking forward to this expansion, Mr. Parks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.