Popular Tags: BotW [+] [View All]
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Normal namyzarc (that's an oxymoron)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hey, it's been fun answering a million questions and watching my morals crumble all around me as I answer all of Mach's moral dilemmas, but it's that time of the week again, so let's introduce our next victim contestant on Boomer of the Week. Going overseas this time to introduce Mr. Happy himself:

Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

CraigRJ wrote:
First off, many thanks to the lovely Natsume for thinking of this concept, and the even lovely Namyzarc for nominating me. I can't believe twenty of you turned him down first....

I have x geek loves, and at various times one or another has been in the ascendant. Early school it was comics - in the UK we mostly had black and white reprints of early Marvel, so I grew up on Fantastic Four and Spider-Man in glorious monochrome. Late school it was RPGs - an auction of lost property at school in my second year at secondary school netted me the AD&D Player's Handbook and DMG for £3...a lot of money in those days for a young teen, but immense value came from DMing games for the next dozen years.

My brother was three years older than me but at the same school, and was one of founders of their war games club, so he kept bringing home Diplomacy, Kingmaker and Civilisation - whilst my school friends still played Monopoly, we were arguing over the virtues of loading Percy with titles, so many such that he couldn't actually sit in his own castle.

Video games are my other geek love, sparked off when I first was bought a Sinclair ZX Spectrum back in 1983, my nascent attempts at programming on it sparked off an interest in computers which affected my home and working life even today.

Of course I'm now afflicted with the curse of age - too many to do and not enough time to do it. Board games yet to be played - dozens. Books yet to be read - 70+. Video games yet to be touched - at least ten. Comics yet to be read - well, none actually, I sort of lost serious interest some years ago.

Final note, if you're still with me. I will answer any question on any topic as truthfully as I can. No evasions, no ducking the issue, can you handle the truth? You're gonna get it!

Questionnaire:

mb Icebreaker Questions: mb

1) How did you get into 2R1B?
For some months, our group IRL had been playing Resistance heavily. Face to face I loved it, was far too noisy and accusatory, loved the confrontations (hated the plot cards though), and wanted a way to recreate this on a more regular basis so I started nosing around the Resistance forums. Bob Atkins, Varoan, had invited me into Resistance PBFs after I'd made a few posts on the forums there, but I crashed and burned badly. It struck me that there were some meta conventions people were using for when two spies were on a mission for example, that as a newbie seemed to me to be essential knowledge before playing. So rather than stick with it and work them out, I got petulant and started looking for something else.

Someone there mentioned the 2R1B kickstarter, so I backed it and lurked throughout Calvinball, loved everything that went on throughout that game and as PBF 46 was a Doctor Who theme, and I've been watching it since 1974 (ah, another geek love), it seemed a perfect fit.

Interesting comment in the wrap-up for that game from Randy:
"In hindsight, sure, a WIFOM was probably the best plan. But when you've played a while, you kind of get sick of those."

2) What was your first 2R1B PBF and Role?
PBF 46, Nov 2013. I was the Red Innoculator and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Some say that hasn't changed since. Namyzarc was actually the very first person to Whisper me in 2R1B...in my second game, PBF 48, I was the Hungry Birthday Boy and ate Randy's Birthday Cake at the end of the game...

3) What is your favorite 2R1B PBF that you have ever played in and why?
DeMorcerf's PBF 50, Choose Your Own Boomerang - A New Era Begins. Dripping with theme and tension throughout. And it showed me, very early on, that this game wasn't just about Red vs Blue and that's it, but could have way more depth and life beyond that even dreamt of by the game's creators.

4) What is your favorite/least favorite 2R1B PBF Role and why?
I don't like the Shy Guys, or any role that means you can't hook up with people. I understand the argument that people have over wanting to stretch the paradigm of sharing quickly, forming a circle of trust and building from there, but at the moment I'm at the stage where I find it tricky to lie to people and bluff roles, and play the Honest Joe role, probably far too much for my own good. However, I like that this game allows all sorts of approaches, there's no one correct way to do it. Favourite role is probably Bomber, actually - the thrill of seeing that role in the first PM about a game has not been surpassed yet.

5) Red, Blue, or Other?
I was going to say any, but it's now clear to me that Red is where my heart is...

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie
In 2005 I won an Eagle Award for Best Comics Related Website
In 2009 I wrote one of the introductions for the collected edition of Cla$$war
In 2013 I had my first comic published
      9 answers
Poll created by namyzarc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question not written before:

Are you watching the commonwealth games opening ceremony now, live?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Byron Orpheus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Master: Necromancer
badge
And mine is to perceive and control the delicate arrangement of the cosmos
mbmbmbmbmb
I waited so I wouldn't be the first poster, that's too much pressure.

Congrats!

Were your life a film/movie, what would be the soundtrack for different types of events and tones/emotions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Go Craig!

Let's start with the basics.

What mythological animal do you feel represents you well?

What about a chess piece?

And what is your favorite color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Byron Orpheus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally original question: whistle
Take your ipod and hit shuffle, let's see the first five songs it chooses for you, and a few comments on each explaining why they are there too please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a quiet free spirit with a mysterious past
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

What is your avatar from?

What are your least favorite foods?

What is a question you want to be asked?

What is the answer to that question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Favorite:

Breakfast?
Lunch?
Dinner?
Dessert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boonta Frederickson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite:

Beer?
Ice cream flavor?
Historical figure?
Pair of pants?
Cut of steak?
Diplomacy country?
Grocery store?
School subject?
Dog breed?
Gum flavor?
Mixed drink?
Dance?
Vegetable?
Watch?
City?
Hairstyle?
90s movie?
Smoothie?
Actress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Say something in British that none of us Americans will understand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I will start with a new question or two (I always include some new ones) for you and then I'll give you some of those which have become standards.

If you were turned by a vampire into one of the immortal undead and you had the ability to end your unlife before you became twisted by your unnatural hunger and lust for blood, would you?

What do you do for a living?

What do you wish you did for a living?

Would you be interested in a Boomer Diplomacy game?

What is your favorite class to play in a role playing game? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Byron Orpheus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How certain are you that your life is real right now and that you are not a zombie, in the Matrix, dreaming, delusional and hallucinating everything, in a coma, or a Truman Show?

هل تحب القهوة؟
كيف تحب قهوتك؟

هل تحب الكافيين؟

كم اللغة عندك؟

ماذا تعمل؟ لماذا؟ هل تحب شغلك؟ لماذا؟

If you could not use English, what language would you speak?

بالنسبة لك, أيٌ هو أحسن لغة؟
أيٌ هو أحسن لغة بسبب الصوت؟
أيٌ هو أحسن لغة بسبب سهولة؟
أيٌ هو أحسن لغة بسبب موقعها؟

من أين أصلك؟

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Byron Orpheus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Favourite desert in the world?

Archipelago or Peninsula?
Bay or isthmus?
Cupcakes or cake?
Cake or pie?
Pancakes or waffles?
Bacon or sausage?
Eggs or potatoes?
Pizza or pasta?
Suez or Panama Canal?
Sinai or Baja Peninsula?
Iberian or Balkan Peninsula?
Anatolia or Korean Peninsula?
Onomatopoeia or alliteration?
Anagram or palindrome?
Donald or Daffy?
Steven Moffat or JJ Abrams?

Do you like pizza? If so describe your opinions on different types of pizza, crusts, and toppings.

Do you pasta? If so describe your opinions on different types of pastas, sauces, and such.

Do you like sandwiches? If so describe your opinions on different types of sandwiches.

How many digits would you be willing to give up before you gave up gaming instead?

If you time traveled into the past, would you risk meeting yourself? If so, would you talk to yourself? Would you tell him who you are?

Go-karting or horse-back riding?

Would you want to compete in a hot-air balloon race or a donkey race more?

Sumo wrestle or box?

Has it ever bothered you when a hotel doesn't have a 13th floor but you know they've just relabeled the floors?

You haven't yet turned to see them but you can sense that someone is approaching close enough that if you turned you'd feel socially compelled to hold the elevator open for them, but far enough away that you could not turn and then let the door close and they would easily assume you didn't know they were there. What do you do?

Was it a horse or a mule?

Turkic land that you would most want to visit? Have you been to any already? Are you interested in a Black Sea cruise?

What is the longest time you've ever been away from your home?

What is the farthest you've ever been from your home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal 2000 wrote:

You're certainly right there, Hal, nice time specific one...yes indeed, we have it on, whilst I'm working away, posting on a boom thread, and browsing itunes for new music...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
I waited so I wouldn't be the first poster, that's too much pressure.

Congrats!

Were your life a film/movie, what would be the soundtrack for different types of events and tones/emotions?

Thank you, sir...nice easy question then, to kick off with, cheers.

My childhood music would be lovely, summery music - playing out until dusk, messing around in the river with no adults within miles, making dens, having gangs, very Swallows And Amazons.

Between 19 and 23, it'd be the 1812 overture, complete with cannons. Or Mars, Bringer of War.

From 23 onwards the predominant song which reflects my home life is Teardrop, by Massive Attack. Work life would be Working On The Railroad, slowly segueing into Lucky Man, by the Verve.

And that lasts up until about six years ago, when at home Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood takes over, then four years ago Teardrop comes back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigRJ wrote:
Hal 2000 wrote:

You're certainly right there, Hal, nice time specific one...yes indeed, we have it on, whilst I'm working away, posting on a boom thread, and browsing itunes for new music...

What are your opinions of it so far?
What are your opinions of john barrowmen's singing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Congrats!

Say something in British that none of us Americans will understand!

Craig, agreed that i should do the translation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Machiavellian wrote:
If you were turned by a vampire into one of the immortal undead and you had the ability to end your unlife before you became twisted by your unnatural hunger and lust for blood, would you?
FOLLOW UP QUESTION Are you #TeamEdward or #TeamMustacheDad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Byron Orpheus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have facial hair? What styles of facial hair have you sported in your life? What do you like or dislike in terms of having facial hair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
Go Craig!

Cheers, Peer!

Quote:
Let's start with the basics.

What mythological animal do you feel represents you well?

Dragon. Enjoys it's solitude and likes to hide away. Hordes his treasure. Knows instinctively if something has moved or been removed from his horde. Liable to breathe fire when provoked.

Quote:
What about a chess piece?

Horsey. Moves in weird ways that confuses everyone around, appears random but has a pattern known only to self.

Quote:
And what is your favorite color?

Everything in me screams to complete the Python quote:
"Blue. No, yel...aaauuuggghhhhh"

But in reality, it's a combo - the Claret and Blue of West Ham gets me every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigRJ wrote:

Everything in me screams to complete the Python quote:
"Blue. No, yel...aaauuuggghhhhh"

But in reality, it's a combo - the Claret and Blue of West Ham gets me every time.

Blue and yellow? Those are my alma mater's colors!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
Totally original question: whistle
Take your ipod and hit shuffle, let's see the first five songs it chooses for you, and a few comments on each explaining why they are there too please!

Elbow: Fly Boy Blue/Lunette

The first track(s) released from their recent album, a group I've been keen on since their second or third album some years ago. To this day I don't know how I first heard of them - I thought I'd been introduced to them by my younger brother on a long car journey we used to make annually, but he swears blind it was I who introduced them to him. Couple of months ago went to one of their gigs for the first time, and loved every minute of it.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood: Warriors of the Wasteland (Twelve Wild Disciples Mix)

The first song from their second (and last proper) album, FGTH with that album were perhaps better known for the dozens of versions of each song they put out, rather than the songs themselves. This one is probably the best version of this song, although a rockier one exists (The Attack Mix) with Gary Moore on guitars throughout.

Bruce Springsteen: Tougher Than The Rest

Only recently reappeared on my device - originally bought it when first released, and felt the need a couple of months ago for a bit of Brucie, so I bought this and Born in the USA again, plus the Live ones. My favourite is still the Live version of The River, runs about 15 minutes or something, with the first ten being a story about Bruce being turned down for the Vietnam draft and his relationship with his dad.

Coldplay: Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground

I keep thinking I should delete Coldplay from my ipod, because it's not been hip to like Coldplay in the UK for years, however I still have a soft spot because I remember hearing their first song, Yellow, and loving it to bits and thinking - I was there at the beginning. Of course I soon found out they'd put out a flop CD a year or so before, but...

Paolo Nutini: Candy

Listening to him sing, you'd never realise he was Scottish. Very poppy, probably the most poppy stuff I have on my ipod, but damn it the boy is catchy and easy on the ear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal 2000
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha are your thoughts on the commonwealth doing an original fundraising Exactly like sport relief live on television in front of 1,500,000,000 people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigRJ wrote:

Coldplay: Now My Feet Won't Touch The Ground
Paolo Nutini: Candy

I agree with both these songs! I loved Coldplay ever since I heard Yellow as well. If you ever see them in concert they are one of the most energetic and best bands to see live!

Candy is such a sweet and romantic song - I can listen to it over and over. And here I thought I was the only one that knew about him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hal 2000 wrote:

FOLLOW UP QUESTION WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS EVEN TALKING ABOUT?!?! What is the "Commonwealth"? Is that like the Hunger Games or something??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maytheodds wrote:
Congrats!

Thank you may!

Quote:
What is your avatar from?

The Mr Men stories by Roger Hargreaves. Huge fan of the books and original TV series when I was a kid, and they retain their fascination for my younger kids now. Mr Happy is almost the antithesis of me, I'm quite a grumpy git in real life - I've never used a pseudonym online, so it appealed to me to use Mr Happy instead of Mr Grumpy as my avatar.

Quote:
What are your least favorite foods?

Anything spicy. I'm hugely conservative in my tastes, so much so it became a joke at my first job and I was taken out to an Indian Curry House by someone at work and treated to the mildest curry they had on the menu. Way too hot for me. Was a bit of a pain in the arse when I spent four weeks in India a few years ago...

Quote:
What is a question you want to be asked?

What's the most random thing you could say that no-one here would work out unless they googled it?

Quote:
What is the answer to that question?

Hello to Jason Isaacs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.