Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, I'm kind of intrigued by the Admiral mechanic. But it seems like something that won't see equal play throughout the factions, and that bothers me. I've been trying to think who else might show up as an Admiral. So far I've got:

Martok
Sela
Kira (It's a stretch, but she did command the Bajoran Blockade)
Maybe V'Las (closest I found to a Vulcan Admiral)

That's about all I got. While there have been lots of Admirals in Star Trek, very few of them have been active enough "on camera" for them to have cards made out of them (Note the number of Admirals who lend their faces to Rank 1 Captains)

Any thoughts on Admirals we might see down the road?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonel Lovok commanded the Romulan fleet at the battle of Omarion Nebula, although he was in fact a changeling at the time. Jarok held the rank of Admiral, although we never actually see him commanding a fleet.

Shinzon is the obvious Romulan admiral for me, it is stated that he fought numerous engagements in the dominion war and he his the obvious choice to include with the next romulan release, the scimitar.

I'm not sure Sela was anywhere near admiral rank was she, as I err all she held the rank of "commander", which seems to be the Romulan equivalent of the federation 'captain' in that it denotes the officer in command of a ship.

I thought she was just a fairly senior Tal-Shiar field agent. I suppose if they wanted to go that way she would be an obvious choice to include with the Haakona since she was operating in the same era.

For the Klingons, perhaps General Koord from ST5, or General Chang (who has a ship coming out soon). For a later era Klingon admiral, Martok is the obvious choice, though I would really, really love to see them do a K'mpec card eventually.

I'm not sure minor factions like the Vulcans or Bajorans will get an admiral, though I suppose they could include one with the Ni'var. I don't really see T'Las getting it though, he was more of a politician than a military commander, in fact wasn't his position referred to as 'administrator'?

Sopek is the obvious high-level captain for the Ni'var expansion, the show does mention that he is the senior Vulcan commander in that sector, perhaps he could be the Vulcan admiral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Changeling Matriarch as 2nd DOM admiral?

Shinzon could be an Admiral, although he only commanded one ship on screen.

Gowron or Kahless could function as an Admiral... they weren't Admirals, but their role could be similar

Kor WAS an Admiral for all intents in the TOS, but ironically we never got to see him on a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I could see Wizkids using Shinzon for the Romulan Admiral. Lady Romulan Commander (whatever her name is) could make another appearance since she actually commanded a squadron.

Gowron or Martok could both be Admirals. For an outside the box idea, the Klingon commander of the Amar at the beginning of The Motion Picture might qualify since he too was commanding a squadron.

Kira makes sense for Bajorans

Borg Queen with the Borg Diamond will likely get Admiral treatment.

Don't know enough about Vulcans from ST:E to venture a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it as something they're going to do a whole lot of, especially outisde the main 5 factions. In the short term, I suspect we'll get Borg, Romulans and Klingons in wave 8 & 9, but that's it. Unlike captains, Admirals aren't a requirement for every build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually commanding a fleet doesn't seem to be a requirement, because James Kirk is never seen commanding more than the Enterprise.

Dukat was a Gul which seems to be more Captain, although he could have promoted himself to "Leget" if he wanted to, but he can't hear you over the sound of his own awesomeness.

Sela was in command of the fleet during the Klingon Civil War.
I suppose Shinzon could work, but his prowess as a "Legendary Fleet Commander" seem to be more "informed attributes" rather than anything we see him do on screen.

Picard commanded the Blockade during the same time War, so could be made an Admiral, and Sisko commanded at the Battle to Retake DS9.

I think Martok deserves to be an Admiral if nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Corby
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the TOS series we could see Commodore Decker, as he rams a shuttlecraft down the throat of the planet killer. Commodore is a flag rank, that was used interchangeably with Rear Admiral at different times. They were the same pay grade above Captain. The US Navy stopped using Commodore a while ago, but I'm sure other fleets still use the rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For the Federation, the flag ranks were largely where it kept its fascists, madmen, incompetents, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If future Admirals follow the fleet action format, they will be terrible as captains and great otherwise.

Kirk's action is nice to have, Dukat's not nearly as much. How many fleet actions are really that great? They make for terrible captains either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dukat is double terrible because his admiral version means leaving the Dominion's best captain out of your build. Any Admiral that is a different version a unique top-tier captain has a significant built-in opportunity cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PanicAtTheSisko wrote:
Dukat is double terrible because his admiral version means leaving the Dominion's best captain out of your build. Any Admiral that is a different version a unique top-tier captain has a significant built-in opportunity cost.

Yeah, Dukat is a POOR admiral. He makes very little sense to take, as he is the best Dominion captain, and his admiral ability is worse than useless. (There is no ship in the game that doesn't benefit more from taking BS as its action vs just adding "+1 attack dice" - indeed, even if Dukat added AN ACTUAL HIT RESULT, any ship with 4 attack or higher would *still* be better served taking the BS action instead)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that we'll see Queenie as an Admiral out of her diamond, and Locutus as an admiral... somewhere.

(I'd rather not speculate as to where, because it might send some into catatonic rage.)

As for the other factions: Female Changeling, Damar, Weyoun, and Thot Gor all make sense as Dominion admirals. Fed could get Admiral Janeway, or some of the miscellaneous Admirals we've seen over the years. Klingons want Martok or maybe Gowron; Romulans want Shinzon or maybe Sela.

Minor factions... M'Vek for Vulcans, I guess. Kira for Bajorans would make sense, but that's about their only option. Grand Nagus Zek could be a Ferengi admiral, 8472 probably won't get one, and no one cares about the Kazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
I imagine that we'll see Queenie as an Admiral out of her diamond, and Locutus as an admiral... somewhere.

(I'd rather not speculate as to where, because it might send some into catatonic rage.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Assimilated Galaxy had at least a version of him. The sheet shows it includes 3 captains, so 1 generic and 2 of note. Maybe Locutus and Crazy Beard Alternate Universe Riker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
and no one cares about the Kazon.

If the carrier is legitimate (should be battlecruiser type stats, ship was huge) and they get a second interceptor as a blind for the next Borg OP series, they could become a pretty well fleshed out faction.

Hopefully they start fleshing out the smaller factions as the game goes forward. They are definitely packing more stuff in expansions than they used to so that is something. Lets hope for no more Praetus or Vo packs (poor rommies). Ideally every faction has an admiral at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Calvert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Who wants Martok or Gowron as admirals? They're 2 of the best captains the Klingons have unless they end up with the exact same abilities as Admiral cards they'd end up like the Admiral version of Dukat, nice to have but you'll never pick them over there captain version. I say make Kor the Admiral. Who better than the Dahar master right? Given how the mechanic works Sela seems like the best choice for the Romulans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Admiral Janeway, to who Picard answered at at least one point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:

Minor factions... M'Vek for Vulcans, I guess. Kira for Bajorans would make sense, but that's about their only option. Grand Nagus Zek could be a Ferengi admiral, 8472 probably won't get one, and no one cares about the Kazon.

Worry, but who is "M'Vek"? I don't think I can remember a Vulcan character from any series with that name.

I did wonder if Sybok might make a good 'alternative' admiral for the Vulcan faction (maybe even make him dual Indy/Vulcan), assuming he has done his mind-meldy, brain-washy thing on the ship's captain.

I think it would be pretty cool to have Khan as an independent admiral (although I'm not sure that the concept of an independent admiral really makes sense at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drscottkelly wrote:

Careful, I'm sure there's folks who are still mad that her captain version wasn't CS0 with some text related to unshod gestation and meal preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

I will actually be disappointed if Janeway is not an Admiral in the Enterprise-E pack. Not a whole lot of other places for her to show up a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
drscottkelly wrote:

I will actually be disappointed if Janeway is not an Admiral in the Enterprise-E pack. Not a whole lot of other places for her to show up a second time.

If they do want to include additional Admirals, I'd say that's a better idea than making Picard one (as some have suggested for the E). She did actually hold that rank after all. And its a position Picard would never want!

Quote:
Who wants Martok or Gowron as admirals? They're 2 of the best captains the Klingons have unless they end up with the exact same abilities as Admiral cards they'd end up like the Admiral version of Dukat, nice to have but you'll never pick them over there captain version. I say make Kor the Admiral. Who better than the Dahar master right? Given how the mechanic works Sela seems like the best choice for the Romulans.

Sela was merely a Commander. Romulans did have actual Admirals (Jarok, or Tomalok for example), but she was not one of them. Given the releases, Shinzon does seem the most logical and likely candidate for the Romulans. The curveball here could be lifting Tomalok out of the depths of mediocrity and making him an awesome Admiral.

I would say Chang is a strong possibility, as General would be the Klingon equivalent of a Legate or Admiral. And he has a ship coming up... and his captain version is something that can be nice in very specific situations but in general is not something you'd miss by taking the admiral instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall Tomalak ever being presented as an admiral, he was just a regular d'deridex commander.

I think Shinzon, Colonel Lovok or Admiral Jarok are the most logical options for a Romulan Admiral

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:
I don't recall Tomalak ever being presented as an admiral, he was just a regular d'deridex commander.

I think Shinzon, Colonel Lovok or Admiral Jarok are the most logical options for a Romulan Admiral

Seems I was thinking of the episode where the alien kid tries to trick Riker into staying with him, and Tomalak is referred to as an Ambassador. My mistake.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Future_Imperfect_(episode)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Close to retirement? Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." -James T. Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
"Close to retirement? Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." -James T. Kirk

And then, according to JJ Abrams, he becomes an Ambassador. As I recall, he was good at diplomacy but never enjoyed the company of diplomats. I like to think he retired and became an archaeologist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

And then, according to JJ Abrams, he becomes an Ambassador. As I recall, he was good at diplomacy but never enjoyed the company of diplomats. I like to think he retired and became an archaeologist.

I don't believe that was according to Abrams. Though the scriptwriters were involved (Orci and Kurtzman). See the creative team here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

Remember that was hinted at as his future career path even in TNG (specifically the alternate future in "All Good Things...", though I feel like "Ambassador Picard" came up before that). And that he would be the ambassador to Vulcan does make sense given his special connection to Vulcan through Sarek.

As an aside, the comic is pretty good. Honestly, its better than the movie its a prequel to (and... most of the TNG movies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.