Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I remember the Heroes of Normandie Kickstarter. The art intrigued me as it is in line with the style I like, but the price point for a lighter wargame deterred me. I believe my thought at the time was something like, "I already have Memoir '44, and I never get a chance to play it, this will just sit on the shelf. It's sad, I know.

Then Achtung! Cthulhu came across my radar. It looked cool enough, but it passed by without much of a second thought since I have yet to get a chance to play Call of Cthulhu.

But now Shadows over Normandie has come into play for me. There are currently 2 days left in the Kickstarter, and I'm on the fence.

Could someone provide some pro/cons or otherwise reasons why you have or have not supported the Kickstarter?

I probably won't end up backing due to the price, but I figured I'd put this thread out there in case someone else wants to be sure to get in at the last minute.

--------------------------------------------------

So far, here's where I'm at on Shadows Over Normandie:

Pro:

- Art-style - I love it. It's what drew me in to Heroes of Normandie, and keeps me wanting Shadows over Normandie.

- Theme - Allied Forces vs. Axis Forces has been done a million times. Add in a playable third Monster Faction? Awesome. It reminds me of Dust Tactics, but more monsters and Cthulhu instead of alternate technologies.

- Game Structure - A miniatures game without miniatures sounds awesome. I've been waiting for Victory Point Games to put out an updated version of Gettysburg: The Wheatfield, and actually make Tattered Flags a supported game system, but they've dropped the ball on that. Sergeants Miniatures Game has also been in my mind, but that game is incredibly expensive to get into, and their last Kickstarter turned me off since they weren't clear whether or not they were abandoning the game. Is Shadows Over Normandie what I want instead?

Con:

- Price - If I understand the Kickstarter correctly, just to get the game costs around $150. For $150, this had better be the best game I've ever played.

- Kickstarter Pricing Options - I have no idea what I'm paying for. The pricing options on the Kickstarter page make no sense.

- Too Many Expansions - Is the base game worth playing, or do you need expansions? Is the game addictive enough to even want to play it through. I've yet to play through all the missions in the base game of Memoir '44, and I sold off many expansions unplayed. I'm a little bit of a completionist, and I fear that diving into this game is committing to far too much money on a game I have little time to play.

Indifferent:

- Compatibility with Heroes of Normandie - Heroes of Normandie passed me by. A cartoonish/Hollywood WWII games sounds cool, but my wife is my main gaming partner, and if she will only play Memoir '44 once a year, this is never getting play. (Sadly I've sold off a good Memoir '44 collection except for the base game because of this.)

--------------------------------------------

So there you have it. Can I be convinced? Does someone have a link to a review or video playthrough of Heroes of Normandie, Achtung! Cthulhu, or other to make me see the light?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's Tom Vasel's review of HoN:

This + Cthulhu & Zombies made it an instabuy for me. Yes, I am a shallow sucker for theme and polish, but I also like the idea of a lighter wargame. And Cthulhu.

And Zombies.

And shooting a Shoggoth with a Sherman main gun round.

Edit: fixed YouTube link...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as you. I will probably just wait for the retail release as the kickstarter options are not really that much interesting. I am pretty sure the box has enough contents that I probably will never get through it anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFI, Millers and Steiner Kamp's extras: are these playable with SoN?
The scenario packs state that 'HoN core' is needed to play them, but FFI etc do no have this stipulation? so i guess you can just mix the units in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

- Price - If I understand the Kickstarter correctly, just to get the game costs around $150. For $150, this had better be the best game I've ever played.

But, most likely, it won't be the best game ever.

hard to throw down that much money on blind faith

and the vasal review does little to gain confidence, due to his liking almost every game ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

But, most likely, it won't be the best game ever.

hard to throw down that much money on blind faith

and the vasal review does little to gain confidence, due to his liking almost every game ever

This is very true, but something was mentioned in another thread that got me thinking. Just back Shadows over Normandie at the lower "Dagon" level to get all the stretch goals, and then buy the base game when it's released at retail.

I'm not above spending $150 or more on a game system. Heck, I created the following Geeklists last year:

mb I spent over $150 on this game system…AND IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!
mb I spent over $150 on this game system...AND I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!

It's just the shock of putting an initial up front outlay on a game that I've never played. surprise

The more I think about it, a smart thing to do could be to back the Shadows over Normandie at the "Dagon" level (because I really want the Hellboy and Cthulhu), and then possibly buy Heroes of Normandie in a month or Shadows over Normandie at the end of the year. $150 - $200 spread out over 6 months is a much easier pill to swallow.

The only issue with this idea is that there are still Kickstarter Exclusive add-on items.

What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

The more I think about it, a smart thing to do could be to back the Shadows over Normandie at the "Dagon" level (because I really want the Hellboy and Cthulhu), and then possibly buy Heroes of Normandie in a month or Shadows over Normandie at the end of the year. $150 - $200 spread out over 6 months is a much easier pill to swallow.

The only issue with this idea is that there are still Kickstarter Exclusive add-on items.

What do you all think?

So, I have HoN, bought through Amazon for a good price (certainly less than the KS). One problem is that I don't think that HoN + Dagon = SoN. I think Dagon is only the Pointe du Hoc expansion. I don't think you get any of the units, dice, bags or tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

What do you all think?

So, I have HoN, bought through Amazon for a good price (certainly less than the KS). One problem is that I don't think that HoN + Dagon = SoN. I think Dagon is only the Pointe du Hoc expansion. I don't think you get any of the units, dice, bags or tokens.

Oh, sorry, I thought it through in my head and didn't type it out.

I know that Heroes of Normandie + Dagon does not equal Shadows over Normandie. The thing is, the more I have looked into Shadows over Normandie over the past 36 hours, the more I want to play Heroes of Normandie too. I'm just slowly convincing myself that I can buy up the whole system if given enough time to fit it into the gaming budget

...but I'm still on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Heroes of Normandie is currently selling for 50 bucks on CSI. Is the extra content worth 100? No!

Wait for Shadows to come out and buy both games for 100 and then maybe a couple of expansions. Same amount of money spent and you end up with more content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Devil Pig Games posted a sketch on thier Facebook page of the Cthulhu token that is exclusive to this Kickstarter:

I have now backed at the Dagon level to get all the stretch goals, and as Mike suggested above, will simply pick up Shadows Over Normandie (and possibly Heroes of Normandie) later on.

Also note that any add-ons can be added on after the Kickstarter ends in two hours when they send out the questionnaire next month. That means if anyone is on a monthly gaming budget, like me, you can pledge at Dagon in July, and then buy any add-ons your were on the fence about in August.

This seems like a solid plan for anyone still on the fence and sees this thread in the last two hours of the Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:

It doesn't. SON brings in different cards (magic rituals etc), a new hero format and of course the Mythos creatures which aren't in HON. The systems should be compatible however, so units from one should be easy to incorporate into the other.

Or in other words, if you go for Dagon and intend to get HON it means you get useable content from the Kickstarter, and probably can kludge in the Cthulhu stuff until such time as you can get hold of the SON base game at retail. It also nets you the stretch goals et al, so you're not in a position of kicking yourself for missing those. Final bonus is that getting the HON stuff in the meantime is giving you a lot more options for SON when you finally get it

The other advantage here of course is that should you decide HON isn't for you, you can cut your losses without spending a huge amount of cash on getting the full SON basegame.

Defendo wrote:
The FFI, Millers and Steiner Kamp's extras: are these playable with SoN?
The scenario packs state that 'HoN core' is needed to play them, but FFI etc do no have this stipulation? so i guess you can just mix the units in?

Yup. The SON base campaign from what I gather has the US rangers facing off against the Mythos and the Nazis, so I doubt there's any issue with throwing HON units into SON and vice-versa. The only real change in terms of unit compatibility is the new hero format for SON, although that's unlikely to be a huge issue (basically heroes can now take their own equipment and abilities; in HON heroes simply had access to any equipment in the rest of the army).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.