Yardmaster Express» Forums » Variants

Subject: Suburbia-style cabooses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant plays similarly to the regular game, but with one small addition: each player is dealt his or her own hidden caboose at the beginning of the game.

At the end of the game, the hidden cabooses are revealed and combined. Scoring is then performed as usual -- with each caboose being taken into consideration.

If the blank caboose cards are included, it adds another layer of suspense and strategy. Is that other player doing a bunch of wilds because they have the "buried alive" caboose or are they just receiving bad cards? You won't know until the end!

EDIT: Clarified hidden caboose scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try it. If you test it out, let us know how you like it. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think that the hidden caboose could be scored by over players as well!
since you reveal them at the end you have to actively think which cards are you giving to the others!
it will prolong a bit a game born to be fast in itself but it's worth testing in my opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darklaw90 wrote:
since you reveal them at the end you have to actively think which cards are you giving to the others!
it will prolong a bit a game born to be fast in itself but it's worth testing in my opinion!

Oh yeah, I guess that I should have said that in my original post! The hidden goals are scored by other players in Suburbia, so I meant for them to be scored by others in Yardmaster Express as well.

I'll try to test it over the next few days if I can get a 3-4p game together. If I'm able to test it, I'll report back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Power Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good idea and I would like to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really got around to trying it, but having played a ton of Yardmaster Express, I definitely think that it'd work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great variant. Thanks. It is funny, that we fabricated a similar one after our first two games.
One minor offtopic note: you score your own tile just for yourself in suburbia:
"Only the owner of a secret goal tile is able to receive the Population bonus for achieving his secret goal"

mrbug wrote:
Darklaw90 wrote:

Oh yeah, I guess that I should have said that in my original post! The hidden goals are scored by other players in Suburbia, so I meant for them to be scored by others in Yardmaster Express as well.

I'll try to test it over the next few days if I can get a 3-4p game together. If I'm able to test it, I'll report back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Great variant. Thanks. It is funny, that we fabricated a similar one after our first two games.
One minor offtopic note: you score your own tile just for yourself in suburbia:
"Only the owner of a secret goal tile is able to receive the Population bonus for achieving his secret goal"

Huh. I've only played the iOS version, and I thought that anyone could score the private goals in it... Now I'm going to have to read through the rules again to see what else I've missed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up playing something similar that we came up with tonight.

At the start of the game, each player is dealt 2 random caboose cards, excluding the blank/wild cards, and they can try and match the requirements of one of these to score the points.

This seemed to work really well giving everyone there own "secret goal" as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.