Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Sapp
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I'm new to the game and I'm wondering why this is an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the enemy is not in the "staging area", its threat doesn't count against you when you send characters on the quest in the next questing phase. thumbsup

Edit: And as mentioned below, you can choose to engage an enemy alone before you have to fight multiple enemies all at once. Or you can choose to engage the enemy to trigger an effect while you're more able to deal with it. Or to leave an enemy as the only enemy in the staging area so that you can engage that enemy (e.g., Goblin Sniper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To remove their Threat from the total, and give your characters the ability to wipe them out before they do something else nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the less enemies in the staging area, the less threat you have to quest against. While it is nice to quest your way to victory, sometimes pulling an enemy to you will help you next round. Not to mention some enemies buff others, so there's t hat as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some cards later on that give you distinct advantages when you engage enemies above your threat level. So, not only are you removing threat from the staging area, you might then be able to play actions to give yourself combat bonuses in the fight too!

For example: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The main benefit, and something that is sometimes unclear to new players, is that they no longer contribute their threat value against questing when they are engaged.

So it's easier to make quest progress when the enemy is engaged with you, but you also have to deal with their attacks.

edit: ninjaninjaninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there will also be enemies that you don't want to live because they cause other problems while they stick around.

In multiplayer, it also becomes strategic, because some enemies will automatically go to your co-op partners, which they might not be able to handle as well as you could, so you might want to optionally engage them before their engagement check comes up for your partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two players and the first player would be engaged by the enemy later on anyway, the second player might want to engage it if he's better set up to fight it.

Edit: ninjad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason I think has the most used reason. If you are playing a 3 person game, and you are at 30 threat, and the other 2 are 29, and 2 enemies in the staging area are 30 threat they will BOTH attack you, so one of the other players will Optionally Engage one so you only have one engage you during engagement checks.
there are also enemies that give you more harm if you DON'T optionally engage them. for example:

Lossarnach Bandit

Forced: When Lossarnach Bandit engages a player, that player discards 1 resource from each of his heroes' resource pools. (2 resources instead if Lossarnach Bandit was not optionally engaged.)

so if you optionally engage, lose 1 resource, let him come down like normal based off threat...lose 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something people have not mentioned is that if you couldn't optionally engage then it would be very difficult to deal with enemies who have higher threat. You could get 'enemy-locked' if your threat is too low. So you are allowed to optionally engage enemies regardless of their threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sapp
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
To remove their Threat from the total, and give your characters the ability to wipe them out before they do something else nasty.

But you don't get to fight them right then and there, do you? I thought combat was its own and that enemies always attacked first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captainlunchbox wrote:
Wired_Wolf wrote:

But you don't get to fight them right then and there, do you? I thought combat was its own and that enemies always attacked first.

The combat phase doesn't change. They are saying that sometimes it's worse to leave the enemy in the staging area than to optionally engage it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engaged enemies don't contribute their threat, and if your threat is beneath their engagement cost they won't engage you, so particularly if your threat is low you need an option to remove enemies from the staging area. The key to winning most scenarios is in keeping enemy threat low so you can quest effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also easy to overlook he fact that you can not attack an enemy not engaged with you outside of certain card effects. Thus, you might engage an enemy to attack it outright since you can't leave it there in staging and fight it outside of say dunhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sapp
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
buzhannon wrote:
It's also easy to overlook he fact that you can not attack an enemy not engaged with you outside of certain card effects. Thus, you might engage an enemy to attack it outright since you can't leave it there in staging and fight it outside of say dunhere.

I'm appreciative of the help. So if I'm understanding this incorrectly,let me know- but does engaging an enemy negate its forced effect since I'm the one engaging it and not vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. The rulebook states that the player engaging with an enemy and an enemy engaging with a player are the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, the two card types that end up in the Staging Area are Enemies and Locations.

Both add Threat to the total and make it harder for you to reach your objective, which is putting tokens on the scenario card to progress to the next phase (of course, some adventures work a bit different, but that is the basic idea).

For both cards, there are ways to remove them from the Staging Area, in order to make it easier for you to reach your objective.

But, both ways come with consequences.

Locations have to be traveled to, potentially adding some negative effect for doing so, and end up as the Active Location, which raises the amount of tokens you need to finish the current phase of the adventure (since tokens are placed on the Active Location first).

Enemies engage a player and have to be battled in combat.

So, essentially, you choose between the lesser of two evils here.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'm really sorry as it has probably been answered before but my level of english is not high enough for me to get all the subtleties, so, just to make it crystal clear, some cards effects say:

"When the enemy engages/attacks a character..blablabla".

Does this depend on who's the attacker and who's the defender?

I read that "The rulebook states that the player engaging with an enemy and an enemy engaging with a player are the same thing". Ok.

BUT, the rulebook also says that the cards effects have priority on the rulebook and the effect "when the enemy engages/attacks a character" is precise enough to look like a shift of priority to me.

What about it?

Another small question while I'm here:

There is a location card effect saying this: "After you travel this location, blabla"

Does it mean that the effect takes place when you activate the location or when you discard it?

According to me it should be when you discard it (hens the "After you travel") but I saw a very popular "Watch it Played" video resolving the effect when activating the card.

What about it?

Even with the rulebook this all is a matter of interpretation while it can make the difference to the final outcome of the game.

I hope I made myself clear.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

"When the enemy engages/attacks a character..blablabla".

Does this depend on who's the attacker and who's the defender?

I read that "The rulebook states that the player engaging with an enemy and an enemy engaging with a player are the same thing". Ok.

BUT, the rulebook also says that the cards effects have priority on the rulebook and the effect "when the enemy engages/attacks a character" is precise enough to look like a shift of priority to me.

"When the enemy engages you" is pretty clear - you engage him or he engages you and right then you have to resolve the effect.
"When the enemy attacks you" means when you resolve enemy's attack against a character you have designated as a defender (or no character, if you risk taking an undefended attack). It doesn't kick in when you attack said enemy.

baylock wrote:

There is a location card effect saying this: "After you travel this location, blabla"

Does it mean that the effect takes place when you activate the location or when you discard it?

According to me it should be when you discard it (hens the "After you travel") but I saw a very popular "Watch it Played" video resolving the effect when activating the card.

"After you travel to this location" means "after you select that location to be your active location". After means "right after you do X,...", just like with "when X happens, do Y".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.