Subject: First Edition expansion compatibility? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering Battlelore for my group however none of us have ever played it.
We have one member who has a couple first edition expansions (he won them). We can't find this anywhere but in regards to the new second edition, do the first edition expansions hold any value? I'm not talking monetary value but rather gameplay. Can they (if it's even possible) be used in second edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume not at the moment?

It's possible that FFG could release some sort of conversion kit (like they did with Descent) somewhere down the line, maybe?

(Just guessing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme between the two games is so different, I doubt you'll see a conversion kit. However, I think in the variants section of these forums some people have started making custom 2nd-edition-compatible cards for the 1st edition stuff.

But I don't think you'll get any official compatibility stuff for the old stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some significant changes to the editions that make any direct compatibility tough. The scale is different (new edition has larger minis), the card stats are different (average unit is 3 strong instead of four, special abilities are triggered differently, combat hits are independent of color rolled now, in fact colors are gone and only symbols apply on die rolls), etc.

You would essentially need to create or use fan made self printed cards, and find some way to indicate which units are on which side since in 2nd there are no more banners/flags, the units themselves are molded in colored plastic to indicate faction. If you have enough red/blue flags/banners it would be adequate.

Irregardless though the new edition itself is really well done IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.