Subject: [Rant] People signing up to speedy TM games, then play slowly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that some players on snellman lack even the slightest courtesy of reading a game description before signing on? When I see a game waiting for players which has "speed" in its name and the description says something like "Please only sign up if you can do many turns at least for the rest of today (European time zone) and tomorrow. The goal is to get several rounds finished by today and tomorrow.", why would someone sign up who very obviously does not meet this request, resulting in not even round 1 finished at the end of the first day? This has been happening several times to me already.

This doesn't only apply to time zone or speed requirements, but also to noobs/experts/"ranking above/below x" requirements etc.

Please, people: read the description and if it doesn't fit you, DON'T SIGN UP! You can always create a game yourself where you set the requirements - please respect the other players and do not annoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
I noticed that some players on snellman lack even the slightest courtesy of reading a game description before signing on? When I see a game waiting for players which has "speed" in its name and the description says something like "Please only sign up if you can do many turns at least for the rest of today (European time zone) and tomorrow. The goal is to get several rounds finished by today and tomorrow.", why would someone sign up who very obviously does not meet this request, resulting in not even round 1 finished at the end of the first day? This has been happening several times to me already.

This doesn't only apply to time zone or speed requirements, but also to noobs/experts/"ranking above/below x" requirements etc.

Please, people: read the description and if it doesn't fit you, DON'T SIGN UP! You can always create a game yourself where you set the requirements - please respect the other players and do not annoy them.

I agree with you, but the problem is... the players who do not read your game descriptions will not read this forum post either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recognised the same at least for rating requirements.

For 'fast players' I often have a problem that people don't specify what a 'fast player' is. Your example is good - I know what you expect from me. But often I read 'fast players only' and don't know if they want players who sit in front of the monitor and can do a live play or some who move at least every hour or players who move at least twice a day or...
The term 'fast' is quite relative. So please make sure your description is selfexplaining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kessels (e-mail behgez@gmail.com)
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most annoying lacking feature is to control and specify game speed for co-players. I already proposed changes to the developer about two months ago, but no response. Very frustrating when games take 4 weeks to complete when you ask for several moves per day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I prefer "fast" games as well, which means I try to make a move within an hour. But sometimes it's just not possible to do this.

Besides really specifying what "fast" means, I would recommend to play within the same timezone. You already have players who sleep early or late but if you combine this with players from North America, "fast" is just not possible.

So I would recommend to give a player from another timezone a break, or really insist on same continent, if you don't want to play for more than a week in one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Lauritzen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if people who sign up for these games want other people to play quickly, but for them to take their sweet time. Like how most Americans want other people to use mass transit so the roads are clear for them to drive their cars on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore1313 wrote:
I wonder if people who sign up for these games want other people to play quickly, but for them to take their sweet time. Like how most Americans want other people to use mass transit so the roads are clear for them to drive their cars on
Wow, that would be really evil ... gulparrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to read the text the game-admin wrote after the game has started? I can't find it anywhere.
It would be a good idea to have it visible somewhere - perhaps as a first entry to the chat. This way it would be more easy to politely ask other players to respect this wish of the game-admin. Often I forget in which games there were requirements and in which not.

@Juho: if you are reading this, is this easy to implement for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galgor I.
msg tools
mb
or that you can choose the option "live game" and if someone joins such a game, there is a message: "this will be a live game, are you sure that you want to join?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Fluxx wrote:
Is it possible to read the text the game-admin wrote after the game has started? I can't find it anywhere.

The admin can read it from the admin view, nobody else can. I agree that it could be useful for everyone to see the message, will see if there's some good place for it in the player view.

I don't have any plans for more game speed control options at the moment. A system that would force games to finish in a couple of weeks would have to be very complicated (since nobody will be online 24/7, but enforcing a move a day will not even guarantee finishing a game in several months).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Define "fast". Good grief, be happy you can play it at all online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Define "fast". Good grief, be happy you can play it at all online.

He did in the original post.

Also, shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
i've been enjoying everything immensely so far, but uh-oh... the weekend is coming and I don't remember/ can't find the time requirement for both the games i'm in as well as those i administrate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seleCT wrote:
i've been enjoying everything immensely so far, but uh-oh... the weekend is coming and I don't remember/ can't find the time requirement for both the games i'm in as well as those i administrate.
It's part of the things you can read after pressing the "Info" button (next to "Chat").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
thank u so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.