Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would like to see this article in it's full original form, please click HERE. Thanks for reading.

Follow more of my and the rest of PHD's articles as we post them on Facebook and our website, www.PHDgames.com

Get the job. Do the job. Get paid. It’s never that easy when you’re working for a dragon.

Shadowrun Crossfire is a face paced, challenging and smart deck building game. Set in the Sixth World of Shadowrun, 1-4 players will be taking on roles of various Runners to complete jobs and get paid. If the Runners fail, they have to abort the mission in hopes to save what they can for another day. If not, they all wind up geeked on the hard streets of the now Sixth World. Co-operative and persistent, Crossfire has a high replay value that rewards players with every game.

I have been lucky enough to first get a copy of the Demo Box at GAMA. Recently I was sent: a copy of Shadowrun Crossfire, a Demo Box with the Promo character Oni and Character Expansion Pack 1. I have put them through their paces with seasoned runners and fresh chummers, all have the same thing to say: I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Different Characters in ShadowrunIn Crossfire, players start out by choosing a Metatype: Human, Ork, Dwarf, Elf or Troll. Next, each player will choose a Role Deck: Street Samurai, Mage, Decker or Face. The Role deck is each players starting deck. Shuffle that up, set out the rest of the cards, choose a mission and you are ready to go on a run.

Each game session will consist of a mission the players have to complete. The first mission, “Crossfire”, has the players trying to escape a job just completed. Not that easy. With three scenes, “Crossfire” has each scene of the game become more difficult as it goes on. Each scene pits Obstacles against each player that they have to deal with or face the consequences of those Obstacles. Additionally, each round there is a “Crossfire Event” all of the players have to deal with. The “Crossfire Event” comes to a close at the end of a round and a new event starts. These all add up to a challenging game that the players will have to work well together if they want to get paid.

After you defeat an Obstacle each player will get paid with Nu-Yen(money) and can spend that on different options from the Black Market pool of cards setup out on the table. Depending on your role, you will have better choices to buy than others. Alternatively, because of situations created by the Obstacles and Crossfire Events, players may want to buy something that would best help out another player during their upcoming turn. Unlike most deck-building games, the card you buy goes into your hand and you don’t have to wait for it till you shuffle and draw it a few turns from now. This really allows players to maximize their team strength, crucial to their success.

Once all Obstacles have been defeated and all scenes of the mission have been completed, the players have won! If not, they have failed the mission and have to run a final abort mission round and see if they survive to run another day.

Winning awards the players in the form of Karma(experience). Karma is then used to purchase character upgrades. These come in the form of laminated stickers that are placed on the laminated character sheets. These upgrades can be a lot of things, like an increase to your starting hand size, damage type substitution or healing powers. After that, the players can take their characters with their new upgrades on to the next mission with the same group of players or an entirely new group.

Now let’s talk about all of the goodies that come in the core game itself. And I’m not just talking about game components. Catalyst Game Labs have stuffed a great deal of information in this box to arm anyone to become a full fledged Runner in the Shadowrun universe. More importantly, they encourage customers to try out other Shadowrun products.

*Welcome to the Sixth World: A booklet that guides all new players through the complex world of Shadowrun. Introducing the lore, culture and even terms used in the Sixth World.

*An excerpt from Fire & Frost, an upcoming Shadowrun novel. A great tease of the novel giving you the prologue and first 6 parts from the book.

*An online code redeemable for an exclusive in game item: Ingram Smartgun for Shadowrun Online. Other Shadowrun products are going to have their own unique codes.

Shadowrun Crossfire has left a really great impression on me as a gamer and as someone who appreciates a great product. Catalyst Game Labs are really taking the opportunity here to expose this entire product line to a customer base that may not have played Shadowrun prior or ever would have. As a retailer, this is a great game to have on your shelf that can easily bring you multiple returns and a more diverse customer base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I would call this a review, although I suppose you do minimally summarize the game. Usually in a review you would say what you liked, what you didn't, or some sort of analysis of the game.
Perhaps you would even look at the popular topics in the game's forum on some popular gaming site and discuss some of those concerns/questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:
Not sure I would call this a review, although I suppose you do minimally summarize the game. Usually in a review you would say what you liked, what you didn't, or some sort of analysis of the game.
Perhaps you would even look at the popular topics in the game's forum on some popular gaming site and discuss some of those concerns/questions.
These are usually called "Overviews".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, it is more of an overview. This was written, for another online source, with the core reading audience being retailers. I did not want to give too much of my opinion but more or less give an unbiased game "overview" so they knew what the game was and how it would fit into their stores customer base.

My pure opinion of the game...it's great. A whole hell of a lot of fun with a very healthy amount of challenge. There are good rules/guidelines built in that prevent the alpha gamer from taking over and making it a group solo game. It most certainly has a place in my personal collection and will regularly come off the shelf to be played.

I have given dozens of demos of the game so far and all have been quite impressed with it.

For those reading and played at Dice Tower Con, I was the guy who was not Tom who had a copy there. So, "Hello again.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.