Lion Rampant» Forums » General

Subject: Table size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Clark
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I thought I'd seen something about this but cannot find it now.

Is there a suggested table size for the game?
I have a 4' by 4'6" permanently up and can extend to 6' by 4' if I have to, but 3' by 3' keeps another part of the household a lot happier.

Is the game playable on 4' by 4'6" and 3' by 3'; even with a reduced points army, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
3x3 might be too tight, unless you play in 15mm and reduce distances, but 4x4 (or even 4x3) is fine for smaller games or infantry heavy retinues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Clark
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thank you.

I'm expecting at least one mounted unit per side - I'm busy painting Fireforge horses at the moment.
I am aiming at 12 point to learn and a quick transition to 18 point forces.

Pre ordered the rules yesterday from Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Clark
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I've settled on a 4' by 3' board for my battles but start on a 'virtual' 6' by 4' marked out and tracked on an OHP cell. The units appear on my board as they touch it on the virtual board. It seems to work without problem and I am just about to change the OHP cel to a magnetic white board. Each magnet will be a unit and unlikely to be rubbed out by my sleeve as I track units on the board.

I'm wondering about making the virtual board 8' by 6'. I cannot think of any reason why it wouldn't work and I quite enjoy the jockeying for position off my actual board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Clark
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I've been playing through the scenarios and playing each 3 or 4 times, changing the retinues slightly each time.
By the time I got to scenario D I had decided that 24 points with 6 or 7 units were most interesting even when they are at half strength. Scenario D, however, ended in confusion because of my virtual table. After about 7 turns my one retinue had hardly passed a dice roll and the other was galloping/forced marching across the table at speed. They were almost across the diagonal so I decided to 'slide' the actual table across the virtual and reposition the units. Total chaos! Units that were on the virtual table when transferred to the real table suddenly found themselves next to opposition units that shouldn't have been there so we called it a draw and built a 6' by 4' table.
If a game needs a bigger table it will have to be back to a virtual table but it will be a rare occurrence after yesterday's messing about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.