Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a lot more aggressive than the title needs to be but I am a little bothered by the prize pool for Netrunner. I only say this because Game of Thrones, which is going to be much lower attendance, is getting essentially 2 times the prize support. Twice the backpacks, twice the playmats. 256 players for Netrunner and only 8 get playmats. 128 possible players for AGOT, 16 playmats.

What gives?

So check it out:
Game of Thrones
Champion: The winner receives a North American Melee Championship trophy.
Top Four: The top four players each receive one backpack with A Game of Thrones art.
Top Sixteen: The top sixteen players each receive one North American Championship playmat.
Top Thirty-Two: The top thirty-two players each receive one set of acrylic House Martell power tokens.

Netrunner
Champion: The winner receives a North American Championship trophy and a first-round bye at the 2014 Android: Netrunner World Championship.
Top Two: The top two players each receive one backpack with Android: Netrunner art.
Top Eight: The top eight players each receive one North American Championship playmat.
Top Sixty-Four: The top sixty-four players each receive one set of acrylic agenda counters.

And yes, I understand that I'm bitching about stupid crap. I'm really just confused as to why they would decide to give more prizes to less people playing a less popular game. Maybe they just want the Netrunner players to feel special?

EDIT: Cthulu has the same prize support as ANR and last year there may have been 20 people playing at nationals. SMH.

I'm not a prize whore by any stretch of the imagination but I like to be rewarded for good play. A cut to top 64 and only 8 of those players are getting mats? That stinks on ICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
DJhedgehog wrote:
I'm really just confused as to why they would decide to give more prizes to less people playing a less popular game.

Well, for starters, they're in the business of selling Game of Thrones. If they can make it more enticing with additional prize support, perhaps they can move more units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Nothing about FFGs prize support is ever going to appear all that enticing to a non-player. And in some cases not even to players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of thrones is a much bigger game globally speaking. It is still probably their biggest LCG and gets treated as such. Give it a few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
Twice the backpacks, twice the playmats, half the acrylic counters.

For clarity's sake.

It is important to understand the different formats of play for A Game of Thrones. For instance, you're comparing the prizes for Netrunner to the Melee format for AGoT, which is a 4-player multiplayer game. So the number of backpacks is quite fair - everyone at the top table gets a backpack in both games.

The comparison you want to look at is the Joust format, 1v1, which has the same number of backpacks as Netrunner (top two for each), more playmats (top sixteen for AGoT vs. top eight for Netrunner) and less acrylic counters (top thirty-two for AGoT, top sixty-four for Netrunner). And of course, due to two separate flights, Netrunner may be awarding nearly twice as many participation prizes as AGoT will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
CrimsonWraith wrote:
DJhedgehog wrote:

For clarity's sake.

It is important to understand the different formats of play for A Game of Thrones. For instance, you're comparing the prizes for Netrunner to the Melee format for AGoT, which is a 4-player multiplayer game. So the number of backpacks is quite fair - everyone at the top table gets a backpack in both games.

The comparison you want to look at is the Joust format, 1v1, which has the same number of backpacks as Netrunner (top two for each), more playmats (top sixteen for AGoT vs. top eight for Netrunner) and less acrylic counters (top thirty-two for AGoT, top sixty-four for Netrunner). And of course, due to two separate flights, Netrunner may be awarding nearly twice as many participation prizes as AGoT will be.

CrimsonWraith bringin' down the knowledge, hammer-style.

I was pissed along with the OP, but you quelled my rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Nothing about FFGs prize support is ever going to appear all that enticing to a non-player. And in some cases not even to players.

Could not be truer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
DJhedgehog wrote:

For clarity's sake.

I was only looking below the prizes for GOT and didn't see the Melee distinction.

My rage is also subdued. Damn you and your reading comprehension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
Game of thrones is a much bigger game globally speaking. It is still probably their biggest LCG and gets treated as such. Give it a few years.

And yet will draw half the players at Gencon, which is what this prize support is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then I remember (RAGE MOUNTING)we're talking a two day event where 256 players get culled to 64, which have to play another 6 swiss round tournament to then have the right to go to top 8 and play for the championship. That's an insane amount of Netrunner, and reminds me a lot of playing in major Magic events.

If only there was an ANR protour... I wouldn't be so enraged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
And then I remember (RAGE MOUNTING)we're talking a two day event where 256 players get culled to 64, which have to play another 6 swiss round tournament to then have the right to go to top 8 and play for the championship. That's an insane amount of Netrunner, and reminds me a lot of playing in major Magic events.

If only there was an ANR protour... I wouldn't be so enraged

In your rage, I think you just figured out the playmat issue. Every player in Netrunner who makes the cut to double-elimination gets a playmat. Every player in A Game of Thrones who makes the cut to elimination play gets a playmat. Because of the two-flight format with Netrunner and the final tournament being 64 players (instead of A Game of Thrones' 128, I'm assuming), the elimination play cut is smaller than that of the A Game of Thrones tourneys - thus less playmats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that FFG doesn't want to go the route of giving away money in tournaments, but I feel like there is very little effort put into it in any event. I mean... backpacks?

I think there have been exactly three prizes that were really awesome:

(1) The Plastic IDs from last years regionals

(2) The door prize Eli at last years worlds

(3) The Plastic IDs from this years regionals

What, aside from the fact that the cards are playable and neat-looking made these prizes so cool? They're really rare, and therefore valuable! If FFG is going to refuse to give away money, I feel like they could, at the very least, make more of the alt-art prizes to the premier tournaments rarer by printing different alt-art cards for different sets of tournaments, (as in, not every regionals t8 gets the same card). Aside from that, they should do other things like offer Regionals winners hotel for Worlds... or SOMETHING. ANYTHING. At least make a legitimate effort to give away something worth money, even if I don't want to or can't sell it.

PLEASE.

Note: I don't dislke the playmats, but having them be the prize for everything is tiresome. I can only play with one, and I barely want one to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crycrycryNerd Entitlementcrycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
jkayati wrote:
crycrycryNerd Entitlementcrycrycry

Sorry mate, from signed swag to promo cards, all hobbies are going to have Nerd Entitlement. May I point you to a hobby free of this CIS privilege devil
[url]
http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I *am* glad to see prize support for people who stick it out and play all the rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mediohxcore wrote:
I understand that FFG doesn't want to go the route of giving away money in tournaments, but I feel like there is very little effort put into it in any event. I mean... backpacks?

I think there have been exactly three prizes that were really awesome:

(1) The Plastic IDs from last years regionals

(2) The door prize Eli at last years worlds

(3) The Plastic IDs from this years regionals

What, aside from the fact that the cards are playable and neat-looking made these prizes so cool? They're really rare, and therefore valuable! If FFG is going to refuse to give away money, I feel like they could, at the very least, make more of the alt-art prizes to the premier tournaments rarer by printing different alt-art cards for different sets of tournaments, (as in, not every regionals t8 gets the same card). Aside from that, they should do other things like offer Regionals winners hotel for Worlds... or SOMETHING. ANYTHING. At least make a legitimate effort to give away something worth money, even if I don't want to or can't sell it.

And we are all different. I like the playmats a lot, I like the backpacks. I hate the plastic IDs. Especially if they are smaller as the one from last year.

And having rare prizes (which a lot of the Top 8 mats are already) only make even more players uncomfortable about OP in General. This is not the rout to go for.

Still there could be more interesting prizes to be made:
- Plastic Deckboxes
- Tin Deckboxes
- Dividers to sort your collections that are cooler then the one from the first GNK.
- Special Sleeves

But as is mostly the case to make this prizes viable to even start the production they must go to more then just the winner, so it would still be something like a Top 4 or Top 8 or even Top 16 prize.

The game itself is still very young in the hands of FFG, but I really hope they are thinking about some more organized play options then just the obvious store/regional/nationals and the theme events like the Plug-In and the Chronos have been. I would like to see something like a Grand Prix Circus. If done right with lets say 8 events in the first year (4 in the US and 4 in Europe) it could be a great start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mediohxcore wrote:
At least make a legitimate effort to give away something worth money, even if I don't want to or can't sell it.

So the game is so fun that you see playing it as a job? In other words you feel that you should be financially rewarded for doing it? In the nicest possible way, if you really feel like that maybe you'd be happier finding a way of spending your leisure time that you find enjoyable in and of itself?

Not to mention that if monetary reward is on the line, the happy, friendly atmosphere that many people state as a reason for enjoying playing in the Netrunner community will be unlikely to last for very long.

It sound like a recipe for disaster to me: the natural destination seems likely to be a situation where those who enjoy playing are dissuaded from playing (due to an atmosphere not aimed at having fun), while those who do play would be those who didn't enjoy playing but were just in it for monetary reward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
popeye09 wrote:
It sound like a recipe for disaster to me: the natural destination seems likely to be a situation where those who enjoy playing are dissuaded from playing (due to an atmosphere not aimed at having fun), while those who do play would be those who didn't enjoy playing but were just in it for monetary reward!

I enjoyed Magic the whole time I played it, although I never earned a monetary reward for playing (tons and tons of product and playmats, but no straight up money). My time spent playing magic was probably higher on average, but equal to the time I spend warming up for a major netrunner event.

If they had a protour, I would absolutely enjoy the game and try to be on the protour. When I'm going hard at Netrunner (playing 5 nights a week) and reach that feeling of "Mushin No Shin" when I sit down to play a game I find it invigorating and exciting. Knowing I'm across from an opponent that's doing the same thing makes it all the better. Playing for cash would increase the number of players at this level, and forces them to play each other.

The gripe I have here is that you can't just give away product, which I completely understand. At least give more than 3% of the field a playmat that's all I'm saying. At 14 bucks for the tickets to the event for which you bring all of the parts to play, potentially spend 15-18 hours playing (more if you're in the elimination round, but they get mats ), they can fork over more than 8 mats for 256 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mediohxcore wrote:
I can only play with one, and I barely want one to.

Says who? Stack 'em to the sky like pancakes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan dargenio
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
popeye09 wrote:
mediohxcore wrote:
At least make a legitimate effort to give away something worth money, even if I don't want to or can't sell it.

So the game is so fun that you see playing it as a job? In other words you feel that you should be financially rewarded for doing it? In the nicest possible way, if you really feel like that maybe you'd be happier finding a way of spending your leisure time that you find enjoyable in and of itself?

Not to mention that if monetary reward is on the line, the happy, friendly atmosphere that many people state as a reason for enjoying playing in the Netrunner community will be unlikely to last for very long.

I love playing this game, and will continue to play it despite lack of significant financial reward. I never played magic FOR the money, but the money helped to justify traveling for tournaments and playing more. I would love to go to both Nationals and Worlds, or example, but with no hope of recouping my costs, I can only go to one of them. In other words, it's creating a situation where those who enjoy playing are dissuaded from playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed, I am spending 380 for hotel, 80 for gencon tickets 14 for netrunner tournament, ~$120 in gas and god forbid if I want to eat anything.

For those of you keeping track, that's nearly $600 to play netrunner for 10-22 hours, meaning HALF of my gencon time. Assuming I can get $300 worth of entertainment out of the other 24 hours that I am at gencon, I am competing for a chance to get prizes that may sell for enough money to cover half of my trip to gencon.

This will no doubt be my first and last gencon.

I'm fully open to wearing logo apparel, replacing all of my sleeves with coca-cola art sleeves, and informing all of my opponents about the latest and greatest in male enhancement technology if anyone wants to sponsor my trip to play in nationals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate if people can't afford to do what they would like to, but in what way is that an argument to play for monetarily significant prizes?

I can see it being a cry for cheaper entry fees for everyone participating, but certainly not an argument to give the winners only some kind of financial gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:
Agreed, I am spending 380 for hotel, 80 for gencon tickets 14 for netrunner tournament, ~$120 in gas and god forbid if I want to eat anything.

For those of you keeping track, that's nearly $600 to play netrunner for 10-22 hours, meaning HALF of my gencon time. Assuming I can get $300 worth of entertainment out of the other 24 hours that I am at gencon, I am competing for a chance to get prizes that may sell for enough money to cover half of my trip to gencon.

This will no doubt be my first and last gencon.

I'm fully open to wearing logo apparel, replacing all of my sleeves with coca-cola art sleeves, and informing all of my opponents about the latest and greatest in male enhancement technology if anyone wants to sponsor my trip to play in nationals.

I agree with literally everything you said. I don't have nearly the costs you do, but it's still not cheap. For sure though, spending so much time at Gencon playing just 1 game really makes that 80 dollar entry seem steep.

On the bright side, I was able to turn my top 16 mat from Gencon last year into 300 bucks and the 2 PSF promos into 75 bucks each. A lot of people will want Noise alt art and the top 8 playmat (if you get one) will be worth a mint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiv6 wrote:
mediohxcore wrote:
I can only play with one, and I barely want one to.

Says who? Stack 'em to the sky like pancakes!

Hah yes, someone on the Team Covenant stream does that, saw them pile it at least 12 high at one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Osborn
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying that money to go to gencon is worth it even if you didn't have a tournament to play in at all. If this is your first gencon I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised at how awesome it is. And as mentioned, the noises alone are gonna be worth money for the time you spend at gencon playing netrunner. The rest of the time, wander around, get free swag. You might even enjoy yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.