rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the kid and I occasionally do some easy geocaching. We were talking yesterday and one of the ideas that came up was to put together little games (ie dice with rules in a tiny bag) to leave as trade swag.

I'd love suggestions for good games to assemble. Of course they have to be relatively small - although I'm not trying to fit them in a micro-cache.

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walker
United States
Bolingbroke
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! We love the occasional geocaching binge-hunt.
How about one of the Timeline series of games? The cute tin is small and would protect the game in medium sized caches.
For that matter, "Builders: The Middle Ages" tin is only slightly larger than a Timeline tin. Something in this size would be a fantastic first-to-find reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eclectic games
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Offhand, Love Letter? It's approachable for non gamers, and certainly fits in a small space.

Any of the 1 card or so microgames seem to fit the bill. A bunch of the print and play small game competition entries might prove worthwhile foraging through. Public domain dice games like Mia would work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Coin Age? Although perhaps including tokens instead of coins to increase the chances of the game getting played vs. someone just spending the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of card games that have very few cards- Check out Good Little Games http://www.goodlittlegames.co.uk/games/

I would also suggest Stop the Germs -you can find the PnP info here and as long as you have poker-type chips, it's really easy to make.

If you have plenty of blank dice, I would suggest Agricola Express (I think it takes 13 dice).

Good luck, this is a cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
raile wrote:
How about Coin Age? Although perhaps including tokens instead of coins to increase the chances of the game getting played vs. someone just spending the money.

I've never looked that closely at Coin Age, that sounds perfect and ripe for a re-theme or two.

Mia! Good idea. Flicochet might be an option too. I think if we start a new cache I would put a better commercially made game in for FTF. But the small DIY options are perfect for easy neighborhood caches that get found twice a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Ogre? Pretty cheap and pocket size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
So, the kid and I occasionally do some easy geocaching. We were talking yesterday and one of the ideas that came up was to put together little games (ie dice with rules in a tiny bag) to leave as trade swag.

I'd love suggestions for good games to assemble. Of course they have to be relatively small - although I'm not trying to fit them in a micro-cache.

Thanks!!!

Another thought - they aren't available yet, but you should definitely keep an eye on the Pack O Game family of games. These are card games that are roughly the size of a pack of gum, so would be perfect for the geocache. I think they are planning to launch a kickstarter soon-ish. The games run the gamut from quick and simple to surprisingly strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Angry Dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
How about Ogre? Pretty cheap and pocket size.

Ogre is a good option! I just found Khmer also.

Working my way through the suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
How about Angry Dice?

That's an awesome new find! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toasterpastry wrote:
imprimis5 wrote:
How about Angry Dice?

That's an awesome new find! Thanks!

Happy to help. Four dice and a card with the rules seemed about perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Kingdoms, IOTA, Delve: The Dice Game plus some d6, Coloretto, BANG! The Dice Game, Button Men if you include a poly dice set, Agora aka Camden, and probably some of the other Cheepass games (Light Speed). I would shove all of these inside a large ziplock bag though. If you laminate, Utopia Engine is fairly small (5 pages +2d6). And there is a whole group of games that people have mineaturized for use with rekinom's mineature dice. There are probably many dice and card games that just need the rules left there. I think all of these ideas range from free to ~$10.

I don't think I'd do Hanabi though despite its small size, I suspect non-gamers might find it intimidating. Also Decktet might be overwealming with the game play options, unless you listed the rules for just a game or two and maybe a link to where more games for it could be found. By the same token, I'd avoid zombies and abstract games as too niche for non-gamer strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my user icon didn't give it away, I'm a dedicated cacher. Abstract games might be perfect for sticking in a cache, as the pieces tend to be reasonably simple and can likely be scaled down with little trouble. What about Hive, or anything from the GIPF series? Cathedral could likewise be put together with flat, cardstock parts.

No Thanks! could be slapped together with a few index cards and an instructions sheet, with a note to the finder that they'd have to add their own chips/coins. I'll keep thinking about what could fit in a small Lock-and-Lock and report back later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

I don't think I'd do Hanabi though despite its small size, I suspect non-gamers might find it intimidating...By the same token, I'd avoid zombies and abstract games as too niche for non-gamer strangers.

Luckily many geocaches involve puzzles, which in my geopinion ( ) makes Hanabi and abstracts a pretty good choice for swag. Additionally, I know that a lot of cachers get tired of finding the same, crappy Oriental Trading Co. crap in caches, so anything novel would garner attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
A standard deck of playing cards with the printed rules for Indian Chief

Five d6 with the printed rules for Extra!

Eight d6 with the printed rules for Reiner Knizia's Decathlon

Edit to add scoresheets for all three of these are available here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anonymike7 wrote:
Luckily many geocaches involve puzzles, which in my geopinion ( ) makes Hanabi and abstracts a pretty good choice for swag. Additionally, I know that a lot of cachers get tired of finding the same, crappy Oriental Trading Co. crap in caches, so anything novel would garner attention.

In which case, add Micropul to the list at 46 tiles you could print on cardstock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Baumann-Fern
United States
Frostbite Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two that I remember leaving are Cheese Chasers and Zombie in My Pocket. I know there are some others but I can'tthink of the names right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fantastic idea OP! I geocache and never thought of leaving a game. There are lots of good suggestions posted by others; my first thought was IOTA, which someone already mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeffrey
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good place to look would be any Print & Play games on BGG.

A game that fits your geocache requirements is Escape of the Dead minigame. This is a solitaire game that fits on a piece of paper and requires 4 dice, a pencil, and an eraser (the pencil and eraser could be replaced by small wood cubes if you want to be fancy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Walker
United States
Bolingbroke
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have thought of this one, as I have the Pocket Ogre from the Kickstarter Designer's Edition. Small, comes in a ziplock bag, and SJG is selling them at the 1970's price --just a couple bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will likely make a geek list since there has been enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218/The Battle for Sector 219.

Card games in tuck boxes, just throw in a plastic bag and you should be good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Gablovsky
Austria
Kittsee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Castle Builders - small board (could be folded) + couple of counters + rules. If you do not put it on thick cardboard, it could have small footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raile wrote:

Coin Age seems great. I was thinking that one could re-theme to something Geo-ish. Or local. It would be kind of cool to do a local version too. Washington is a square enough state that it would be easy to do that level of map.

Edit: Sorry I'm repeating myself. I was just going through the stack of stuff I've printed / made the last couple of days. Coin Age is stuck in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.