11 Posts

YINSH» Forums » General

Subject: Fancy Boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love YINSH. We play it a fair ammount. The pieces are all very sturdy and well made.

The board could become a problem.

Over time, I fear that the board to this most beloved game will tear apart, even with my overprotective nature towards my games.

Does anyone out there make sturdier boards for this game?

If not, it deserves the special treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're going to play with a cat or hammer, don't worry. The board will serve you for oh-so-many plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only time will tell. This is one of those games I know we'll be playing for the rest of our lives.

The game isn't too expensive currently, I suppose I can just buy a spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. I was just going to suggest that. I mean, I've played this game a lot. I don't see any wear *at all*. Even if it breaks after hundreds of plays, that's more than fine in my book to support author/publisher with money for another copy.

And chances are, you won't be playing this one for the rest of your life. It will very soon start to compete with other GIPF games :) (Tzaar FTW!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though certainly not as rugged as I'd like it to be, I did make my own out of canvas

I am still very much considering making a wooden version, with the YINSH board on one side and the TZAAR board on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Exactly. I was just going to suggest that. I mean, I've played this game a lot. I don't see any wear *at all*. Even if it breaks after hundreds of plays, that's more than fine in my book to support author/publisher with money for another copy.

And chances are, you won't be playing this one for the rest of your life. It will very soon start to compete with other GIPF games (Tzaar FTW!).

I've never played any of the others in the series. I would love to play Tzaar, but it's very expensive for some unknown reason. Dvonn sounds intriguing as well.

I've considered buying Zertz simply because it has no board, but the game just doesn't sound as interesting as Dvonn or Tzaar to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzaar is my favorite. I couldnt wrap my head around Dvonn, but the discs are cute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
online play is also available, such as : Boardspace

/wiki/page/Boardspace.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeljzerby wrote:
rattkin wrote:

And chances are, you won't be playing this one for the rest of your life. It will very soon start to compete with other GIPF games (Tzaar FTW!).

I've never played any of the others in the series. I would love to play Tzaar, but it's very expensive for some unknown reason. Dvonn sounds intriguing as well.

I've considered buying Zertz simply because it has no board, but the game just doesn't sound as interesting as Dvonn or Tzaar to me.

I'm a huge fan of the series. I haven't played any of them in some time but for me, GIPF is my favorite followed by YINSH and ZERTZ.

All of the games are quality abstracts. All of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Goetzinger
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you tell me how you made the canvas board? Did you draw that on or have it printed somewhere? It looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking. It was a bit of a process. I drew it on with permanent marker. Allow me to launch into a verbose explanation…

The first step was to buy tracing paper, tape four sheets of it together and mark the line intersections of the board.

Next I cut the canvas (purchased at a local fabric shop) to the right size.

Then I poked small holes through the tracing paper at the line intersections, laid the tracing paper on the canvas and then pushed the marker on the holes until it made a significant enough mark on the canvas. This step and the previous step are not interchangeable even though you might be tempted to think they are.

After that it was just a matter of using a yard stick to trace out the lines, with frequent glances at the original board to make sure I was doing it right.

After that I was pretty much done. I did get my handy wife to sew pleating around the outside of the board to make it look spiffy and to keep it from unraveling.

Ultimately I'm quite pleased with the boards (I've done boards for TZAAR and DVONN as well), but the permanent marker does bleed through a bit which is my only complaint. I can throw the pieces for whichever game I want to play in a cloth bag, grab the appropriate board and I have a nice travel set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.