Subject: What's the MAX to pay to be STARTING player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kermit Rickenberg
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
In a recent 3 player game I payed 9 grand to be starting player. The other player I was in a bidding war went right by me and had a great NE starting spot. Yet if I would not of bid so high, I would of been 3rd in there and at worse spot potentially if I let that person win by where they were sitting next to me.

Next game I am sitting to that person's left and not right...

How much is too much for starting player? I won the game nicely and could of gone higher it seemed by the end... Thought??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paid 14 in a 6 player game and won. In the first turn I made a delivery to Louisville for 1 pt + 1 pt first delivery bonus + 3 pts Louisville delivery bonus = 5 pts.

2 other players passed me up during the course of the game but I came back and won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Values are lower the lower the number of players, I find... because there tend to be at least a few good spots on the board with fewer players so the sacrifice you're making isn't as great. 9 does not sound too high for a good spot at all.

But in the end it all depends on the cube distribution (I'd definitely pay 10+ grand for great cube distribution in the NE or other dense area with 4+ players; the alternative is starting out in a thin or poorly distributed area) and cards. Getting those early cards really, really helps you move up. So you have to make sure that people who are getting those early cards are paying for it so bid them up to make it painful. If you don't force the player who goes first to take on 3+ shares to get that first delivery and service bounty then he's going to have a huge income advantage in the key early game, where money is tight and really matters (generally by the end money isn't too big a deal). I would bid aggressively--perhaps not in a 3 person game but once you hit 4+ you have to really make people pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two player game not that long ago where bidding went up to $90k when the railroad executive flipped. We find that in two player games both players end up with a ton of cash so bidding becomes like the way to balance money as each player can afford to bid a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SouthernMan wrote:
The bidding system is the main problem I have with this game as seating position is very important if you have players who either are aggressive bidders or just like to go first - thus sitting to the left of these players can give you a great advantage in the game.
I've always liked Martin Wallace's bidding systems, but this one stinks of being dumbed down for the masses ... yuk

AMEN! I guess this is one of the ways Martin Wallace injected luck into the system to make it lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $37 once in a five player game for the bid on the first turn. Amoung the cards out were "Railroad Exec", "Servive Bounty in Raleigh" "Major Line Atlanta to Richmond" and a "Goverment Land Grant". There was also a yellow cube convient to Raleigh. I think they didn't bid me up enough, as I ran away with the game and won by more then 15 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest paid to be the first player that resulted in a near win was $37. The player making that bid came in second.

The highest ever paid in our group was 56, but that player was tied for last (entering the stock death spiral).

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I know someone who bid 44$ for the inital bid in a 6 player game and game in second!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a handful of games played on my and DiscoKing's boards, I've never seen anyone bid over the high teens. That usually happens when there's a RR Exec and either the NY or Chi hotel, or the Atl-Rich line. When there's no Exec card out, bidding usually goes to $8, but nobody wants to go higher...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our bids for going first have come back down. Even with a RR Exec it goes for less than $20. I think it's because someone (usually me) does the three upgrade thing on turn one, which guarantees the New Train and all but guarantees the Speed Record.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Milvang-Jensen
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
We paly the no RR exec on turn one rule, which limits the starting bids. Once while we still had RR execs on turn 1, it went for 29k, that was with 2 service bounties, onwe being Buffalo-Toronto, so that could not be contested. The strat ended the player with 7 sharesa and 9 points on turn 1. After the game we agreeded that it was 5k too much to pay for it.

The time we decided to stop playing with RR execs on turn 1, was excatly when ATL-RIC, Raliegh bounty and RR exec were out from the start. Theas a 13 point first turn. But it requires 23k investment. It probably would have gone for 32 or 37k, had we played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.