Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
after watching a review and a playthrough, i knew i would like this game. I love the theme, the story, the coop, and how it can scale.

my question is, when should I look at the expansion? Is it expansion that complicates the game, or is it seamless like Suburbia Inc where you just add more variety to the game without changing mechanics and rules.

If it's the former, should i just pick up the expansion right away? if it's the latter, how many plays should I go through before I should visit the thought of expanding.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Current expansion just adds a little more variety. I'd say pick it up now.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
Dune: The Dice Must Flow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion Get Go!
The expansion only adds a new GOO and more playing cards, so get it as soon as you can afford it!

There's no extra rules to worry about, just lots more goodies for the game ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
beauty! i'll grab it tonight before i get my solo game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above, I would get it right away.

However, it does make the game more difficult. So only get it if you aren't gonna be upset at losing most of the time until you get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
oh that's not a problem. i almost never win games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah and with these coop Lovecraft games, it's almost more fun to lose than win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
RoryDG wrote:
my question is, when should I look at the expansion? Is it expansion that complicates the game, or is it seamless like Suburbia Inc where you just add more variety to the game without changing mechanics and rules.

One of the main complaints of the base set when it came out was repetition of Encounters/Mysteries during a single game. The expansion goes a long way to addressing that. As mentioned, some of the newer cards are more difficult.

Rules changes and new mechanics are minimal:

Some of the new epic monsters have a new mechanic (combat: Observation to spot vs Will to resist damage. Failure means they escape to a new location)

Epic monsters require you to encounter all other monster first during combat.

Two new conditions, Poison (changes resting) and Lost in Time and Space(some new rules/mechanics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Gilliland
Canada
TOronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
well i picked up the expansion. I mashed it in with the base game before ever playing the base game so i couldn't ever tell you if i'm playing with expansion pieces or not.

I ran my first 2 player game last night. we got SMOKED against azethoth. I'm confidant i'm playing about 90% correctly. the game was incredibly fun. i love reading the cards and when I did successfully role die (dye?) to discard a card, i was wishing i could flip it over to read what would have happened.

I'll be spending today addressing and researching questions that came up during my playthrough to ensure my next playthrough (tonight) is more correct.

amazing game guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion makes it *WAY* harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.