8 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cortez Chip and Social Engineering rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McCoy
msg tools
Social Engineering (Shaper,2): Event (cost 2), Priority
Play only as your first (click). Choose an unrezzed piece of ice. If the Corp rezzes that piece of ice this turn, gain credits equal to its rez cost.

Cortez Chip: [Trash]: Choose a piece of ice. The Corp must pay 2 [Credits] as an additional cost to rez that ice until the end of the turn.

I assume this means that it would not apply, because it is worded differently from Reina and Xanadu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Trundle
msg tools
mb
You would not get the extra two credits. The corp would still need to pay the additional cost, of course, if they want to rez it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know - the most recent FAQ added "Rez and play costs are formulas that take into account any effects that modify them. They are not just the printed number on the card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that is why it calls it an "additional" cost. It is in addition to the rez cost.

Note that Rook, Reina, Xanadu, Akitaro, and Braintrust all have language to specifically modify the rez cost. All of those would be taken into account in Social Engineering or Nasir ability calculations, while the additional costs specified by Cortez Chip and Running Interference would not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
fateswanderer wrote:
I don't know - the most recent FAQ added "Rez and play costs are formulas that take into account any effects that modify them. They are not just the printed number on the card."

But Cortez chip does not modify the rez cost, it adds an additional cost. Compare this to Reina which raises the rez cost. It's an important distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjnorman90 wrote:
fateswanderer wrote:

But Cortez chip does not modify the rez cost, it adds an additional cost. Compare this to Reina which raises the rez cost. It's an important distinction.

Situations like these were seemingly the motivator to errata "additional" off of the text of E3 Feedback Implants in the latest FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Chance

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmb
scourged wrote:
I assume this means that it would not apply, because it is worded differently from Reina and Xanadu.

I would also assume that you are correct. There's an intended difference between changing the rez cost and incurring an additional cost. Consider the ruling on Blackguard when an Archer is exposed. The Corp can decline to pay the additional cost of sacrificing an agenda. I believe the same would hold true to Blackguard-ing a Cortez'd ICE.

I would also say this is reflected in how Running Interference is worded. http://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/04044

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
mjnorman90 wrote:
fateswanderer wrote:

Situations like these were seemingly the motivator to errata "additional" off of the text of E3 Feedback Implants in the latest FAQ.

Not really. e3 was errated so that it has a different wording from The Cleaners. Then the FAQ goes on to explain how additional effects work (not additional costs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.