Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Kronos/the Titans would have more limited effect, but still wouldn't break the game.

The artifacts would be OK, except maybe the special win condition to won 5

Special metropolises seem completely OK.

I just find the more smaller islands better map, than the two big island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm not sure I enjoy the nerf to Poseidon (with the removal of Poseidon + Ares) to attack. Unless there's something new that I'm unaware of, I don't think having a big land mass will do anything good for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Poseidon will still be critical in the team games played between the two large land masses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted in another thread, the increased number of sea trade spaces, some with two cornucopias, should expand the importance of fleet actions. (Edit) Arnaud also mentions moving directly to different sides of the large islands, and taking over the smaller islands (which, like on the old board, start being worth more income than larger ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
horlaci wrote:
I think that Kronos/the Titans would have more limited effect, but still wouldn't break the game.

The artifacts would be OK, except maybe the special win condition to won 5

Special metropolises seem completely OK.

I just find the more smaller islands better map, than the two big island.

This will make game less static. I love bidding element in cyclades but sometimes when I play with people less experienced I just don't feel it.
Another thing... Sometimes players with 2 troops on the board have 6 islands and they feel safe only because of no ship connections. You know... you may Gain a lot islands with hades in early game.

In Titans you will need to gain a lot of forces and spread them on many of your "islands". This will make a very difficult to defend main "island(s)" with ~5 troops and heroes becayuse you can have only 8 troops on the board. It will make easier to gain new islands in late and to lose them

Whole battle stuff will be more important and I think that there be more troops exchange. You know... You will have to buy as many troops as possible and next turns you will lose some each turn.

In hades you can play the game only with few troops and by bidding poseidon to make your islands untouchable and hades to gain new islands once in a while.

Also there will be more sea battles because of their mostly income character.

Each round many troops and ships will leave the board so Necropolis will becone kind of overpowered but still it will be much easier to lose it

Board should become a bloody battlezone so prepare for many casualties

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like about Cyclades, that despite the area majority, and battle mechanics, it is NOT a wargame, but more of a bidding game.

If Titans shifts it towards the "bloody battlezone", that's not to my liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
Yeah I'm not sure I enjoy the nerf to Poseidon (with the removal of Poseidon + Ares) to attack. Unless there's something new that I'm unaware of, I don't think having a big land mass will do anything good for the game.

What ??

What nerf of Poseidon ??

I can assure you (having played several games of Titans) that Poseidon is by no means nerfed !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
FabienC wrote:
What ??

What nerf of Poseidon ??

I can assure you (having played several games of Titans) that Poseidon is by no means nerfed !

Have any one played Titans + Hades?
As far as I know it seems that Titans expansion is made maily to play without Hades. I find it pretty inopportune to make people set aside Hades which is a great expansion but not a cheap one for what we get inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:

What ??

What nerf of Poseidon ??

Just based on looking at the map, it's no longer a requirement to set up ships to be able to attack. That's a nerf to Poseidon and a change to the gameplay that doesn't sound appealing to me. I enjoy the need to have to set up an attack by controlling 2 different gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
rrrrupp wrote:
Just based on looking at the map, it's no longer a requirement to set up ships to be able to attack. That's a nerf to Poseidon and a change to the gameplay that doesn't sound appealing to me. I enjoy the need to have to set up an attack by controlling 2 different gods.

As stated László Horváth:
horlaci wrote:
What I like about Cyclades, that despite the area majority, and battle mechanics, it is NOT a wargame, but more of a bidding game.

If Titans shifts it towards the "bloody battlezone", that's not to my liking.

Titans will make Cyclades more about battles and I'm sure that not everyone will be happy about making this game less euro.

Also as Bruno Cathala stated:
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:

poseidon is still important, to reach small islands giving a lot of gold coins, to travel from one side to the other side of big islands with boat "bridges", and to control sea spaces giving 2 good coins

Our target, when building expansions, is to lead players to break their plaint routines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:

It is a change of gameplay, but definitely not a nerf.

Navigating to the other islands, small or big is very important, if not necessary.

Setting up an attack will still require planning on getting several different gods, its just that is not restricted to Poseidon+Ares anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
I just don't see people investing a lot in a battle for a one or two cornucopia small-island/trade-arrow. In fact, it would be a waste of resources to fight over any of those things as the cost to benefit is inverted. There is no need to create a chain of fleets anymore either. The single fleet needed to span the big islands is a trivial and almost meaningless use of fleets as they can so easily be replaced now. Especially with the team rules for the two large island map, you have very little reason to need to cross anyways. Overall, this hurts combat as it is no longer a 2-dimensional mechanic. Which begs the question, was this a deliberate attempt to make the game more accessible by simplifying combat? That is the feeling this is giving me.

You haven't played the game, have you ?

My advice then would be to play, and then comment on your feeling. I really don't think you can get an accurate feeling just by reading the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Phipps
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
michasm wrote:
FabienC wrote:
What ??

What nerf of Poseidon ??

As far as I know it seems that Titans expansion is made maily to play without Hades. I find it pretty inopportune to make people set aside Hades which is a great expansion but not a cheap one for what we get inside.

The 1st page of the Titans rules says that you can play Titans with any/all of the Hades modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M
Poland
flag msg tools
Borris_the_gamer wrote:
michasm wrote:
FabienC wrote:
What ??

What nerf of Poseidon ??

The 1st page of the Titans rules says that you can play Titans with any/all of the Hades modules.

It also states that it can be very difficult. At least most of matagot stuff haven't played titans + hades combo.
Titans are mostly made to replace hades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.