Subject: First Play Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Kramarich
United States
Northfield
OH
flag msg tools
My game group and I played the base TI3 for the first time this weekend. We encountered several issues as we tried to grasp everything that was going on within the game. Issues like; reading the tech tree incorrectly, not taking planet cards from the planet deck when control was established, and misunderstanding offensive use of PDS. We did have one question we could not resolve, I searched the rule book and scanned the errata but could not find a definitive answer. If you control a planet with a ground force and PDS, then you load the ground force and move it out of the system on a carrier but leave your PDS, is that PDS destroyed? I know that PDS units are dependent on ground forces in invasion combat but could find no discussion of their dependence after. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you maintain control of the planet even if no GFs are there. If you leave the PDS behind, it will remain there (but the planet becomes vulnerable to invasion).

What do you mean by "PDS units are dependent on ground forces in invasion combat"? While PDS units don't fight in the actual combat, they can still fire even without GF's present. If a PDS is on a planet with no GFs, and another player invades, you still shoot with any PDS on the planet (although if any invading GF's survive the shot(s), then the planet will be taken without further resistance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kramarich
United States
Northfield
OH
flag msg tools
Quote:
What do you mean by "PDS units are dependent on ground forces in invasion combat"?

In invasion combat if all landing ground forces are destroyed, any landing PDS are also destroyed. I read this to mean that a PDS unit is dependent on ground force units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kramer0098 wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean by "PDS units are dependent on ground forces in invasion combat"?

In invasion combat if all landing ground forces are destroyed, any landing PDS are also destroyed. I read this to mean that a PDS unit is dependent on ground force units.

This is talking about the invaders during the invasion. IE, if the invaders are landing GFs and PDS units during the invasion, and all the GFs are destroyed, all of the invader's PDS units are also destroyed (and they do not take control of the planet), even if there are no defending GFs left. Invading PDS cannot TAKE control of a planet on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kramer0098 wrote:
Quote:

For starters, that is a reference to forces invading another planet, not the forces defending. PDS as part of invading force do nothing in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kramarich
United States
Northfield
OH
flag msg tools
Thanks for your responses, I found the answer I was looking for in the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.