• [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great. I'm at the playtest, playtest, playtest stage. I've gone back and remade the game twice over, and each time I do it feels like a much more solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Walter
United States
Zephyrhills
FL
flag msg tools
Every playtest we've done after our designers playtested "GingerDead House" has yielded things/mechanics that have made the game more fun. We're at a place now where I'm even more excited to ramp up for our Kickstarter. If we weren't afraid to let people tear it to shreds with comments and critiques however, then it wouldn't be 1/4th as good as it is now. Thank the mess out of those people too. Without them, you'd have nothing =D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you search #boardgamedesignprotip on Twitter, I shoot one up weekly. Some of them are broad concepts, some are specific tools or techniques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All fantastic advice!

My best advice regarding the art would be this; look at the most successful games, study their design, the details in their art, the complexity of colors, every detail about the art. Then try to emulate that level of detail in your own way. Hire a good artist, and be willing to invest money into the art.

My best advice regarding the mechanics and game design; play test it again and again, and don't be closed off to the idea of making major changes. If your core mechanic isn't exciting, let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
zorin_productions wrote:
All fantastic advice!

Agreed!

Designers and publishers who contribute to the wonderful advice here, do you mind indicating which games you have worked on in the past and/or if you have any designs in the works? Thanks.

Right now we're working on Tau Ceti: Planetary Crisis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and thanks for posting it here for all of us learn from! I'm happy to see that I seem to already have internalized most of these. Now I just need to figure out how to tell when to stop playtesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mykyta Ushatov
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Write down rules. Hand rules and game to strangers. Watch them play. Do not interfere.

Great advice!
Thank you for sharing laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
zorin_productions wrote:
All fantastic advice!

Designers and publishers who contribute to the wonderful advice here, do you mind indicating which games you have worked on in the past and/or if you have any designs in the works? Thanks.

My first shipped board game design is: The Cards of Cthulhu. I've got others in works, but we'll see what turns up next.

My background is video games though. I was a programmer until I messed up my wrists with stupid levels of overtime. Board games are just a secondary field.

Even now most of my design work goes into my one-game-a-month releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony McMaster
Australia
Oakey
QLD
flag msg tools
Be very open to critics, the bad feedback that you get back from your game in a way, is much more valuable than the positive feedback. If you only get positive feedback, your game seems to be at a level that the play testers are happy with the game. Negative feedback shows you that something doesn't work, or the rules aren't clear. Tell your testers that they can openly speak out about things they don't like, and don't get offended by their comments. If you get the same piece of feedback from different testers, you need to look at what they are saying and try to overcome the issue(s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.