Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled this out of the vault.

The rolled up board is in great shape, but a lot of the player pieces are missing. Probably used/play with in other ways over the past 30+ years.

I'll need to replace some little baggies of playing pieces. Does anyone know if each player is supposed to start with a set amount? It's been _decades_ since I've played this, but I don't recall counting how many pieces we started with at the beginning of each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are supposed to have an unlimited number of beads. There is a maximum number you'll ever need in a single game (= (15×15+1)/2+8 for a game on a 15×15 board), but in practice you never need anywhere near that number. Most games end within 20 or 30 moves, needing only about that many pieces per player; 50 pieces is probably enough to play without ever worrying about running out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
My set has the following pieces:
37 yellow
28 red

which I bought used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
37 each for red and yellow in my game unless I've lost pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My red bag has 38 pieces, so 37-38 seems to be the standard.

I just noticed that the game rules mention that additional 'stones' can be purchased at 40 pieces per bag. I checked my bag of blues and it did, indeed, have 40. So my guess is that the original game had 37 or 38 pieces, which is more than enough, and they just went to 40 with the additional bags because it was a round number.

I have never come close to using all the stones. I think 30 would probably be enough for nearly all sessions, but people might feel as though they were about to run out with only 30 so they went with 37-40 for the official number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a copy of the 2004 Winning Moves Deluxe Tube edition at a thrift store.

I counted 34 green, 35 black, 35 blue and then I got to the yellow velour bag. Opened it up and the yellow stones were still in a factory sealed bag. That bag has 35.

So I'm going with 35 as the final answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.