Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
----------------------------------------------------------------------

ERA, A 30-MINUTE EMPIRE-BUILDING CARD GAME FOR 2 PLAYERS, IS LAUNCHING ON KICKSTARTER ON JULY 29TH (ONE WEEK)!

WATCH THE PREVIEW VIDEO HERE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eratheboardgame/1638105...

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK!: https://www.facebook.com/eraboardgame?ref_type=bookmark

OUR BGG PAGE: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155582/era

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
North Ridgeville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com

Preview video link does not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG removes the ?token from the link. Add

?token=b82a3995

after

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2105370202/1638105006?r...

(got the link from the facebook page, I'm assuming it's the same one above)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like posting early is a mistake...

I can't make a pledge right now, and I'm not going to think about looking for it in a week. My subscription to this forum is your best way of letting me know that you've got something I might be interested in, and you've squandered that opportunity.

EDIT: Also, the "promoter" pledge level seems like a really bad idea. I'd be surprised if that's even allowed by kickstarter, and it's liable to get your project blacklisted by a lot of sites for encouraging spam with monetary rewards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you that if I see more than one link show up because of someone pledging at that level, it's going to have the exact opposite effect that you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a mistake to not include US shipping in the pledge levels. Increase each level by $5 so you can just include shipping for US backers. You'd be surprised at how many people won't read the entire pledge text and won't add in shipping costs.

The promoter levels are a big mistake. You're going to get a lot of hatred for those levels from all the spamming that will happen on social networks. It also sounds like a ton of work to track all those backers through email.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Asmor wrote:
I feel like posting early is a mistake...

I can't make a pledge right now, and I'm not going to think about looking for it in a week. My subscription to this forum is your best way of letting me know that you've got something I might be interested in, and you've squandered that opportunity...

That's some pretty harsh language, especially considering that there is a "Notify me on launch" button two inches from the top left corner of any KS preview.

I appreciate when creators are willing to post their WIP campaigns for the rest of us to peruse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
$60 seems a bit ridiculous for MSRP. For example, Dominion Intrigue comes with essentially the same quantity of components as ERA with an MSRP at 33% less. I couldn't figure out how you came up with that price by looking at the preview page, but best of luck to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Walk
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read and skimmed over the KS page. I like the game and its presentation! The art looks really nice and the game looks professionally made.

As I was just skimming the KS preview, not all of what I write next is really missing, I just didn't see/find the wanted/desired information directly:

30 USD shipping to Europe + VAT/Customs ... No thanks...

Also, it is really hard to see which pledge level(s) include(s) ONE core game (not two.. Why would I want to buy two core games? And why is it the only pledge level with all expansions?

The game is actually REALLY expensive! Especially with all expansions etc. and even more so for a card game!

I really HATE your "reduced price for social media spammers" approach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all of us are on social media either.

Yes, I'm a luddite, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
That's some pretty harsh language, especially considering that there is a "Notify me on launch" button two inches from the top left corner of any KS preview.

I appreciate when creators are willing to post their WIP campaigns for the rest of us to peruse.

What, specifically, did I say that you felt was "harsh language?"

I had no idea there was a notify on launch button, and didn't see it when I viewed the page before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just "squandered"! But that's just my interpretation - and maybe op needs a dose of tough love after all =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
My subscription to this forum is your best way of letting me know that you've got something I might be interested in, and you've squandered that opportunity.

Can't see the squandered opportunity unless you happen to unsubscribe between now and the launch day when they will surely post here again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor's correct. That "Promotor" Level is directly against Kickstarter's TOS. It also seems like it would be a headache to verify since a project creator can't manually remove a backer's pledge or change their tier.

You'd be better off changing it to a limited EB level or scrapping it entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Asmor wrote:
My subscription to this forum is your best way of letting me know that you've got something I might be interested in, and you've squandered that opportunity.

Can't see the squandered opportunity unless you happen to unsubscribe between now and the launch day when they will surely post here again.

Fair enough, but that's rather spammy. If you're going to post a week before and on launch, why not post a month before, too? Oh, and gotta make sure to post on the last day. Actually, you should probably post a week before it ends as well. You know what, to be on the safe side, just post every day.

Hyperbolic slippery slope arguments aside, you only get to make one first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually makes a great deal of sense to post just once pre-launch to get all the kinks worked out. It doesn't matter how many peers you ask to review your page, nothing compares to actual community feedback.

Even some of the biggest publishers have made huge fumbles (Small World 2 for example) by not getting enough eyeballs on their project before going live.

The moment a single pledge comes in, KS doesn't allow project creators to change the details in the pledges and I can't count the number of times this has caused huge headaches for both publishers and backers. Updates that not everyone sees appraising backers of a change etc.

Posting just once before going live is not even remotely "spammy" and I appreciate your acknowledging yourself that the "slippery slope" argument really is just hyperbolic fallacy.

One only needs to post pre-launch a single time, as continual changes can be updated in that one thread up until the project is ready for launch. Someone posting over and over is an entirely different matter and not at all what is being discussed here.

Many publishers do a pre-launch posting and they usually generate a great deal of helpful feedback. I actually think it's something every single project creator should be doing for both their own benefit and that of all their future backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
The moment a single pledge comes in, KS doesn't allow project creators to change the details in the pledges

The workaround seems to be:
1) Close the pledge you want to change
2) Add a new pledge with the amended text
3) Tell people to change their pledges to the new one

The annoyance is that the "changed" pledge will taint your list of pledges forever. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, this is Steve the designer.

Just a reminder that the Promoter levels were canceled and removed on the 1st day of the launch. Thank you for all your feedback regarding this, and it was certainly not my intention to generate spam or enthusiasm that was not genuine. I felt this was similar to the approach of stretch goals (you are getting extra components for, essentially, spreading the word about the game--some even go as far as awarding backers for getting 500 Facebook likes), but I realize now that offering subsidization directly was a mistake.

Also, I didn't subscribe to this thread--so sorry I didn't join the discussion earlier.

Thank you for your input and feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
$60 seems a bit ridiculous for MSRP. For example, Dominion Intrigue comes with essentially the same quantity of components as ERA with an MSRP at 33% less. I couldn't figure out how you came up with that price by looking at the preview page, but best of luck to you!

I based the price point of the game based on similar products. The Star Wars LCG and other Fantasy Flight base sets with about 200 cards retail for around $25. Other games, like the Pathfinder Adventure set, containing almost 500 cards (Era has 480), MSRP's for $59.99: http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Adventure-Card-Game-Runelor.... I think $60 was a fair msrp, and then I am giving Kickstarters an incentive discount of $15, for a $45 pledge.

I would say Dominion Intrigue is a strong exception. There's no components except the cards, the art is consistently sub-par (I think most people would agree), and they have scales of economy that most other game series don't have.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Smith
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I viewed the Kickstarter page during pre-launch. The game looks fantastic and the concept unique but the price also bothered me. The best that I could come up with to justify the price was that it had to be based on the inclusion of all the stretch goals thus doubling the original number of cards in the box.
That brought me to another problem of the stretch goals (SG) being "Kickstarter Exclusives" and presumably not available for retail purchase. And because of the high initial cost of the base game; those SGs would be hard to reach because a lot of potential backers would wait until the 48 hour reminder to consider support.
My feeling is a more reasonable price of $30 would entice considerable more backers and thus more capital for the project.

Other questions I had include:
Will the SGs and the cards from higher pledge levels fit in the box? The answer may add to my point on the price.
Why not include shipping in the pledge levels?

I am torn about backing this project. Being a tad frugal, I look for value and I just don't see the value until all of the stretch goals are reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gillham
United Kingdom
60 Great Tower Street
London
flag msg tools
$30 postage to the EU? For a deck of cards? No thanks :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.