Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newbie, so far enjoying the game quite a bit. A few questions. It's cool that each ship comes with a mission (usually featuring that ship in some way), but is there a good spot to go for generic missions? What about the rulebook missions, are they any good with 2 players instead of 3? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official scenarios are necessarily focused around the ship/faction they come with.

There have been a couple of attempts at custom scenarios (look in Variants sub-forum) which tend to be more generic....but right now more focus is on the OP events.

I am hopeful that someday after the OPs have died out (not that I want to rush it), these boards will turn to more scenario-based discussions.

I'd love to have a catalog of scenarios based on episodes for example, so you could watch an episode (from any of the series) and then go play it using some rules/points that someone has taken the time to play-test and balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="jmw23"but is there a good spot to go for generic missions?[/q]

The only really strictly generic missions are the scenarios for the organized event (which by necessity are generic, though based off of episodes).

The other option is you can just take the suggested point totals for the missions and use whatever ships you feel like. Or even do them at alternate point totals utilizing the rules for the original. For example, The Mutara Nebula scenario that comes with the Reliant is pretty easily adaptable to bigger fleets.

Quote:
What about the rulebook missions, are they any good with 2 players instead of 3? Thanks!

I have not done the Dilithium one in a while, but I would think you could do either of them with 2 instead of 3 (though it gets a bit more simplistic, and I feel The Chase loses some of its flavor when it goes down to 2... when it should really be 4!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pity. I'm not at all interested in OP (I just don't feel like getting competitive with this game), and I was hoping there might be some scenarios like Explore Sector, Rescue Diplomat, Intercept Spy, etc. I'll check out the variants sub forum, thanks!

Actually, is there a list of OP scenarios available somewhere online? We could always play them at home!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizkids has all of the OP rules up on their website. There are six from the Dominion War storyline, three (so far) from the Collective storyline, and two Episode events. All except (arguably) one or two will involve proxying map elements and such, and this will be a lot easier for some than for others.

That said, it might be worth seeing what your local OP scene is like. Around here, things are very low-key; some of the players are very good, and it can get a little more "competitive" at the upper end of the swiss pairings, but the overwhelming majority of us are just there to play a few fun games and pick up a cool little participation prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can send Dominion War OP terrain elements to Florida, if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmw23 wrote:

Actually, is there a list of OP scenarios available somewhere online? We could always play them at home!

Most of them are pretty easy to run without the map elements that you get from going to the event. E.g., the Arena just has a different planet token, some "Away Team" tokens (which come with the Soong as well, your can just notate it some other way), and the "Raw Material" tokens (aka, rocks -- any suitable replacement works; coins..... real rocks..). If you get the rules from the official site, you can run them just fine.

I'd say the tricky ones would be Tholian Web (nothing really matches the web tokens), and the two that involve DS9 (no other tokens are that large). Oh, and the Collective ones would need a stand-in for a 5x5 cube token. Other than that you can just the standard planet token and the objective tokens for anything special (though six objective tokens is not enough for a couple of them).

Also, players in your area may have extras of the actual map elements. I know some of ours are sitting on large piles of extras. And its always nice to have extra map element options if you can get it, just in general.

Edit: Or helpful people here on BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to go on a non-denominational mission once. I asked the pastor to send me somewhere warm, maybe to dig wells or something - Africa would do nicely.

I wasn't interested in digging wells or helping people, My girlfriend had just dumped me, and I thought if I went somewhere and did something selfless, she would so totally respect me, that it would rekindle the love for me that she had formerly expressed.

The pastor didn't send me however.

That is the true story of how I missed out on some non-denominational mission work.

So to answer the title of the post, there is a non-denominational church in the area where I grew up that would not be a good source of non-denominational missions.

DANVAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:

So to answer the title of the post, there is a non-denominational church in the area where I grew up that would not be a good source of non-denominational missions.

DANVAN

TLDR. Was someone in your story a Klingon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.