Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beasts of War interview with Ronnie Renton:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/mantic-games/dwarf-kings-quest-in...

tgmooore on Dakka wrote:
Ronnie spills the beans on Dungeon Sagas Dwarf King's Quest in this Beasts of War interview.

Confirms the game will be a spiritual successor to games like Milton Bradley's HeroQuest and Games Workshop's Warhammer Quest.

Confirms same one piece, ready to play out of the box, round base moulded on (interfaces with existing Mantic bases?), same PVC material as Mars Attacks miniatures.

Confirms thicker, better tiles than Dwarf King's Hold.

Confirms 4 core heroes (Dwarf fighter, human wizard, human barbarian, Elf archer) and 4 additional heroes.

1. "Shape Shifter from the new nature army"
2. Basilian Sister Cleric
3. "Lizardman Salamander type"
4. ? (Based on sculpts we have seen thus far could be: Dwarf Engineer, Human Basilian Paladin, Halfling thief)

Baddies Confirmed: Undead Dwarf King and his retinue of armored undead Dwarfs, Undead Trolls and Undead Troll Shaman. Banshee, Necromancer, Ghosts, Skeletons, Zombies

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/2400/445605....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Moore
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't wait for the video to be approved by BGG admins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game meant to be in the spirit of HQ, was something we all kinda expected, but I'm glad they're openly talking about it.

About the one piece miniatures, I've become sort of a miniature painter and I dislike bases molded on the figures. However, it makes all the sense of the world from a boardgaming perspective (the painted examples they showed looked very cool).

I've read good things about the plastic used in Mars Attacks and Loka.

Basic heroes, expected archetypes; the extra ones sound interesting.

A wide variety of undead to fight against, that's good. Makes sense to stay thematic, and there's good reason to believe we'll eventually get to see other types of monsters once the KS campaign smashes whatever funding goal they set.

+1 for Ronnie's enthusiasm. I like the guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thaddeusmoore wrote:
Couldn't wait for the video to be approved by BGG admins?

Waiting is hard. Is it August already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgmooore on Dakka wrote:
Confirms 4 core heroes (Dwarf fighter, human wizard, human barbarian, Elf archer) and 4 additional heroes.

As much as I love that they are adding heroes that are not humanoid, I REALLY hope they take a page from many recent, sorta similar, Kickstarters and provide alternate-gender heroes. They can be the same stats and all, just BOTH male and female versions of each. Of course it has to be pointed out that with dwarves, you can't tell the difference anyways, the shapeshifter probably doesn't HAVE a gender and the lizardman/salamander might only comes in female versions, I don't really know. But still, more figs, more options for more players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wickedwretch wrote:
Waiting is hard. Is it August already?

Not yet, but it sure ain't far away. It's the waiting until *mid* August that's killing me right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wickedwretch wrote:
However, it makes all the sense of the world from a boardgaming perspective (the painted examples they showed looked very cool).

I don't remember seeing the painted examples, where are they?

I'm supportive of the idea of the figs being one piece, base and all, because there is nothing that's gonna kill a boardgame than if the owner has to spend a lot pf prep time assembling figs and gluing them to bases.

wickedwretch wrote:
I've read good things about the plastic used in Mars Attacks and Loka.

I hope so. It's easy for soft-plastic molded figs to end up being very blobby. Honestly I don't like the soft plastic as much. I *like* the old HQ figs!

wickedwretch wrote:
Basic heroes, expected archetypes; the extra ones sound interesting.

I really, really want there to be MORE hero options in the game. Hopefully this is something that can come about with stretch goals.

wickedwretch wrote:
A wide variety of undead to fight against, that's good. Makes sense to stay thematic, and there's good reason to believe we'll eventually get to see other types of monsters once the KS campaign smashes whatever funding goal they set.

I like my undead. They are always cool figs. But yeah, only one set of bad guys isn't good for a LONG extended campaign. I like that HQ put in a lot of different figs, even if there weren't a lot of each. But at least there were goblin/orc types, undead, fimir (not sure WHERE that fits in), and even humanoids. The gargoyle of course was very awesome.

We won't know anything until the end of the Kickstarter, but isn't it always fun to speculate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
I don't remember seeing the painted examples, where are they?

Interview. They're on the table. You get a close-up at 7:18. I'm not sure if those are going to be the final bases (sculpted!) that the final miniatures will have.

Alt-gender heroes are cool, but sadly I don't see that trend appearing all over the boardgaming world soon. Yet, maybe if we ask enough during the campaign we could get some?

And yes, more heroes is always a must. We'll get tons during the KS.

About monsters, while diversity is good, I'd rather have some cohesion. HQ was all over the place. Instead of having only one kind of monster from 30 different "families", I prefer just two groups with enough internal variety (15 different undead and 15 different orcs, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
But don't forget, they plan on including stats for *all* the monsters in the Kings of War universe. So when you tire of undead, just go grab your chaos dwarfs or your evil elfs, or your ogres and orcs... (or if you don't have all those figures, use your undead with the rules for the other critters!)

And I'm sure they'll be putting in more models as stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
And good to hear others want alt-sex heroes. I'll also be asking for this during the KS, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Moore
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way mantic basing system works for DKH and Kings of War (Mantic's table top fantasy battle game) is the miniatures have a rounded base that fits into a square 20mm or 25mm square base with a recessed round part. Miniatures can stand on their own but I base all mine for added stability and improves appearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
But don't forget, they plan on including stats for *all* the monsters in the Kings of War universe.

Yep, I somehow forgot about that (which, of course, doesn't prevent them from creating dungeon-y creatures, undead or not). I sense Mantic is getting a lot of money from me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wickedwretch wrote:
Interview. They're on the table. You get a close-up at 7:18. I'm not sure if those are going to be the final bases (sculpted!) that the final miniatures will have.

Ah. I haven't watched the video yet. The link went to a forum and then I got lost. I'll have to have another look later tonight when I get home from work(*cough*).

wickedwretch wrote:
Alt-gender heroes are cool, but sadly I don't see that trend appearing all over the boardgaming world soon. Yet, maybe if we ask enough during the campaign we could get some?

Not yet I know. It *DOES* mean double the figs if you're just replacing like-with-like and that is a cost to deal with. I know that Myth apparently is doing it (phase 2 shipping) and HQ25 *promised* it, but that's yet to be seen. I have seen other games on Kickstarter do it and sometimes that's all I need to support the game. The more that do, the better. As long as there are options available to be more inclusive, that's what I really want. Stretching outside your basic demi-humans is also appreciated.

wickedwretch wrote:
And yes, more heroes is always a must. We'll get tons during the KS.

Oh, I hope so!

wickedwretch wrote:
About monsters, while diversity is good, I'd rather have some cohesion. HQ was all over the place. Instead of having only one kind of monster from 30 different "families", I prefer just two groups with enough internal variety (15 different undead and 15 different orcs, for example).

The diversity is good if you want to have variety, but a buncha undead and a buncha orcy-ypes can cover a LOT of campaigning. And, as said elsewhere, if they include LOTS of stats for other figs then just use those stats and pull in monsters from wherever you got 'em, say, old HQ/AHQ/WQ games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wickedwretch wrote:
I sense Mantic is getting a lot of money from me...

Yeah, that's gonna happen, isn't it? Being not in the UK, I kinda want to pay shipping on one BIG package rather than dozens of small ones, so, depending on what they offer, I could be dropping a TON of cash! Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer had a discussion about alternate gender heroes. Elf and halfling will be female. Designer doesn't have much input on sculpts:
http://quirkworthy.com/2014/05/28/dwarf-kings-hold-4-some-in...

Semi-useless Mantic forum discussion. OTOH, I guess if you're posting feedback, Mantic would read it there?
http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread.php?8311-Do-you-want-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Semi-useless Mantic forum discussion. OTOH, I guess if you're posting feedback, Mantic would read it there?

Any forum with this can't be useless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The designer had a discussion about alternate gender heroes. Elf and halfling will be female. Designer doesn't have much input on sculpts:
http://quirkworthy.com/2014/05/28/dwarf-kings-hold-4-some-in...

No, I guess *game* designers wouldn't, unless they were designing a game where the gender actually mattered? On the other hand, the art director should be able to specify what each of the characters look like and that often DOES include gender.

Sam and Max wrote:

You are right, that pretty much devolved into uselessness. Oh well. I'd offer up my own 0.02 cents worth but I can't remember what password I used to sign up and for some reason there's no [RESET MY PASSWORD BECAUSE I'M A GOOF] button. But it *did* helpfully lock me out for 15 minutes.

I still don't get why some people just don't *get* it. We're not asking for two figs for each hero, we just want more heroes to be female(-ish, depending on race I suppose) so that we can have a male barbarian and a female fighter, a male wizard and a female sorcerer, a male thief and a female assassin, etc. Make *similar* heroes with different stats and then just use the character card you want with the fig you want to represent. Sounds easy to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at Mantic's Mars Attacks, about half of the survivors and army-types are female (even if women in special ops expose their midriffs). I think it's been mentioned that female miniatures widen the audience of a hobby game, but doesn't hurt to post in the Mantic forums. I don't know if they read BGG forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Moore
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no shortage of female 28mm fantasy miniatures out there.

I'd prefer (always limited) resources be allocated to new characters over alternate gender sculpts. Those characters can be male or female.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.