Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep this short:

In 2 weeks I'll be on a 20~ish hour flight to Thailand from the USA, and will be backpacking around the country with my girlfriend for 30~60 days. I'd like to bring a single game, it has to meet certain constraints:

* small in physical size (I'm happy to ditch boxes and be inventive with components).

* small table foot print (I'd like to play on the plane, or set it up on the floor of a train station, or in open air areas that may be slightly windy).

* it has to more engaging than a convention card game (go fish, etc).

* Needs to play well with 2, and only 2.

The title says "economic euro," but I'm likely to cave and just get Love Letter. This post is my final attempt at finding something else to bring instead.

My dream? Something that tickles my imagination like Castles of Burgundy, Caylus, Spyrium (which I neither own nor have played, but I love Caylus), Yspahan, Macao, or even something cooperative like Ghost Stories. Sadly, I can't think of a single game like this that has a small footprint. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Province. If you feel like you're going to end up with Love Letter, maybe have a look at BraveRats instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to say Targi, but it's got a larger footprint and is nowhere near as small as Love Letter (Much closer than Spyrium, but still larger)

Some non-standard category games which might give selection with little requirements:
Qwixx? 5 differently coloured dice and a scorepad (grease-marker + laminated score sheet) - Entirely not economic euro, but a little more fun than Love Letter, very small footprint.

PnP of Coin Age? Would be easy to bring along regardless - a card and some coins. I know it's nowhere near euro or economic game, but it's a single card and some coins, fits in a wallet.

PnP of a microgame, laminated where possible (heck, the ultra-cheap home lamination with clear packing tape would work) might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious: Travel Edition Has pegs and holes for scoring, and the tiles lock in place on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios is a great little auction game that has a very small footprint. 5 dice and a deck of cards.
Hanabi goes with me whenever we go away. It's just a great game.
Linko!, I haven't played it yet, but it looks really good. It might be a little abstract.

I appreciate that they are all card games, but that is a product of your request.

+1 to Hive, but it is completely luckless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Jambo - I think this is the best fit for what you're looking for
Traders of Osaka - Unfortunately hard to find, but fits most of your requirements
Aton - Maybe a tad too big?
Fealty - Not economic at all, but I might as well throw it in there
Saint Malo - Can't beat dice and dry-erase markers for traveling!

Edit: I missed the windy requirement. That makes those card games less attractive. So I'll throw another idea:
Rattus - No cards in there, but don't bump the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sail to India for everything except the windy requirement.
Also the Builders, not as engaging and not good in the wind.

Hope it helps a little; good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Province. If you feel like you're going to end up with Love Letter, maybe have a look at BraveRats instead.

Thanks for both of these. Providence looks pretty much exactly like what I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no recommendation for a game. However, as I'm traveling around SE Asia right now (Cambodia, Singapore, Indonesia), I strongly recommend you see a travel doctor and get all the recommended vaccinations (Hep A/B, tetanus, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis) and medications (malaria mostly). Also, get strong insect repellant (30-50% deet). Wear it any time you're outside, which is pretty much everywhere other than a sealed hotel room. You DO NOT want to get sick in these counties (Singapore is fine). Medical facilities and care are really lacking, and the diseases you can catch are pretty awful. The doctor should also give you great information on general health safety. I got a 97 page printout about pretty much all the ways to die in SE Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really an "economic euro", but I'd recommend you check out Pack of Heroes. Crazy amount of replay value in a tiny box, with awesome, humorous art. It's basically a deck of cards with a small amount of tokens. It uses a 3x3 grid of cards as the battlefield plus 2 more rows for each player's deck and discard, so it needs a longish but thin playing area.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is good, but I think its cousin Le Havre: The Inland Port might be more in line with what you want. It's Ora et Labora-lite, and it's a brilliant design. It's also marginally smaller in footprint and has less components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a serious look at Le Havre: The Inland Port . The boards don't take up much room at all and all the tiles can be kept in the box. It's 2 player only and has the depth you are looking for.

I just realized the guy above me beat me to the punch.

Also Race for the Galaxy might work. The base set will fit in a large deck box. You can leave the victory point chips at home and keep score on paper. I realize, though, this may fail the wind requirement.

Finally, a dice "super filler" that you may enjoy is VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game . It is very portable and you don't have to use all the coasters and so it doesn't take up much room. The game in loves advancing on research tracks which are basically tech trees and using those abilities to make. Lends of coffee. There are a lot of abilities that you can mix and match so there is quite a bit of variety to keep it fresh. You can currently get it through amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium - plays 2-5, but you can take only the wooden meeples, discs, money needed for two players. Small board, 122 cards, crystals in a small sack.

Hera & Zeus - not economic, but a great little game with cards and 2 wooden figures. Not a small footprint, however. (If you're talking about a tray table on a plane).

Mykerinos (check it out on the 'geek). Not sure about a tray-table layout.

San Juan - a great, quick game, but not a small footprint. However, using two trays might work.

Coin Age - Micro game (PnP). Fits in a shirt pocket! Not an economic game.

Europa Tour. Small game-board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Saint Malo which can be pared down to 3 small boards, 5 dice, and 2 dry erase markers... and a paper towel for erasing and clean up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
The board space for Le Havre: The Inland Port might be getting a little large, but should be fine on the plane trays if you keep the buildings in a box like suggested. It is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Take a serious look at Le Havre: The Inland Port . The boards don't take up much room at all and all the tiles can be kept in the box. It's 2 player only and has the depth you are looking for.

I just realized the guy above me beat me to the punch.

Also Race for the Galaxy might work. The base set will fit in a large deck box. You can leave the victory point chips at home and keep score on paper. I realize, though, this may fail the wind requirement.

I have Race for the Galaxy, thank you for reminding me. I'll look into that, but it might be entirely too many cards, unfortunately.

Mind you, we'll be the quintessential carry on travelers, going it with just a 40 liter backpack (ala http://cdnmedia.marmot.com/images/product/hires/25660_2249_f...). Sadly, as much as you piqued my interest with Le Havre: Inland Port, I suspect the boards are just too big ('course, I could scan them and print them on paper, but.. humm..). Ditto with most things that have boards, which is why (despite my wind complaint) I'm chiefly looking at games with cards.

Oh, and atomheartmother, thank you for your advice. On the plus side, I've made this trip before and am familiar with the level of amenities Thailand has to offer (they're perhaps a bit higher than Cambodia and Indonesia). Still, good advice! I'll never begrudge a kind word from a fellow traveler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
Spyrium - plays 2-5, but you can take only the wooden meeples, discs, money needed for two players. Small board, 122 cards, crystals in a small sack.

Mykerinos (check it out on the 'geek). Not sure about a tray-table layout.

Coin Age - Micro game (PnP). Fits in a shirt pocket! Not an economic game.

Funny you should mention these -- Mykerinos is in my collection, but oft forgotten, and the other two have jumped high up my list while researching today.

Coin Age is in, 100% -- I'll have it printed and lamented in a days time.

Spyrium, however, is teetering on the fence. I'm about to read the rules and daydream how I might be able to cut down on the necessary components (replace the spyrium crystals, ditch the main board in favor of easy to pack paper recreations of the necessary bits, etc). I really like this, because it offers the depth of a board game (reminds me of Troyes and Atta's other title, Caylus), while offering the flexibility of a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a bit too much work, but:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/25625/heres-thought-travel-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.