Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will gladly do it for you. It's my favourite part of getting a new game. My boyfriend even knows to save the pieces for me when he gets something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
imprimis5 wrote:
I will gladly do it for you. It's my favourite part of getting a new game. My boyfriend even knows to save the pieces for me when he gets something.

This is one of my favorite things about getting a new game. That... and sorting the newly punched pieces and putting them in to appropriate storage (i.e. bags, plano boxes, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

What if I slip? Then there's blood all over the game. It's a lose-lose, I tell you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

What if I slip? Then there's blood all over the game. It's a lose-lose, I tell you.

I would still end up putting my eye out with that thing. Whatever am I to do?

Thanks,
Gregg
(Professional Straight Man)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
If punching doesn't work, try kicking. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Haha, made my day. Thanks!
Yeah... because someone wearing metal gauntlets is going to do a bang up job trying to do a precision cut using an exacto knife! I think we're back to "what happens if I make a mistake" territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Seriosly that is not a bad idea, will start using that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Playoffs Baby! Playoffs! F--n Right!
mbmbmbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
I will gladly do it for you.

Of course, there is no pressure in punching out the bits for someone else. You get to walk away and never see it again. Mirefox will have to live with your mangled work and a lifetime of trust issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 40+ years of breaking apart counters, I've only had to heal one a bit with a drop of white (PVA) school glue. Flex a sheet back and forth, find the weak points, and get it down to strings and folding like an accordion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Punch tokens out from the same direction the die cut in. That way, if the paper layer rips, it will be coming off of the waste cardboard, not the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recent acquisition of Battle Over Britain is making me pause. The backs of the counters are not really cut through. But I do have the knives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Punch tokens out from the same direction the die cut in. That way, if the paper layer rips, it will be coming off of the waste cardboard, not the token.

Wargames frequently use both sides, no waste in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how to get over this problem.

First, get a copy of

Next, punch out all the counters.

Go ahead; just punch away. Don't worry too much.

Okay; you're over it now, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Ah, I didn't explain well enough.

A die cut sheet of tokens is done by (I imagine) pushing a blade through the layers of paper and cardboard. First it goes through the top layer A, then through the cardboard, then partially through the bottom layer B. If you push from B to A, the bottom layer of paper can separate on the token. If you push from A to B, if the paper separates, it will do so on the sprue (I think that's what you call it; the leftover cardboard frame), not the token. Doesn't matter if it's double-sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Haha, made my day. Thanks!
Yeah... because someone wearing metal gauntlets is going to do a bang up job trying to do a precision cut using an exacto knife! I think we're back to "what happens if I make a mistake" territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kursplat2 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Mirefox wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I would still end up putting my eye out with that thing. Whatever am I to do?

Thanks,
Gregg
(Professional Straight Man)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Ah, I didn't explain well enough.

A die cut sheet of tokens is done by (I imagine) pushing a blade through the layers of paper and cardboard. First it goes through the top layer A, then through the cardboard, then partially through the bottom layer B. If you push from B to A, the bottom layer of paper can separate on the token. If you push from A to B, if the paper separates, it will do so on the sprue (I think that's what you call it; the leftover cardboard frame), not the token. Doesn't matter if it's double-sided.

It does when the sprue/tree doesn't surround every counter, or offer much margin for error in ripping.

The blade setup of the manufacturing process cuts through all layers (at least when newly sharpened.) But it leaves little tabs uncut which keep the sheet in one piece, usually, until forced out by the consumer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah you need a knife like that and a cutting board. I mean it is pretty much a necessity if you plan on passing these games on to other people. They don't want to see that you punched it quick with nothing but your knowledge and your fingers. We're talking about money saving cardboard sheets here and die cutting machines that are mostly good enough.

Take the time. Cut the industrial cardboard made from recycled cardboard out right. Make a future owner of your tired out game happy.

The first few don't look like the ones after ha ha.

Usually only the cheapest production values end up with a crazy amount of problems. Like yeah your magical athlete holders don't work because that is a bargain game. And Santy de Cuba. Well there you go. And Roads and Boats? Kind of home grown in production quality. And Castle Merchants? Gets right back to the costs and makers of your game.

La Venise Du Nord punched like butter. I am sure that was purely accidental. And that luscious covering. Oh yeah. Accidental quality for sure. They either spend the money or they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
It does when the sprue/tree doesn't surround every counter, or offer much margin for error in ripping.

You've got me there, Chris. I guess the lesson here is: when you have an orange, don't eat it like an apple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a copy of Jaipur and was astonished to find that the tokens were already punched! So... strange... someone else punched my tokens for me and I feel violated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stentor Danielson
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I volunteered at a con a few years ago and got assigned to punch out a few copies of Puzzle Strike for a tournament. It was my favorite part of the whole con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alderin
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so funny. I let my three year old do all the punching since he is too young to play. He LOVES to punch boards. We haven't had any problems.....yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I punched a copy of Mauna Kea last week. It has dozens of tiles so firmly wedged in the punch sheets it became a physical and mental struggle to get them all out intact. But I would have hated it if it had come pre-punched, that makes always makes me a little sad inside meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just press them out gently, never punch them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.