Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the concept of the happy faces, discontent workers, uprisings, etc...

I just can't figure out when you score per content worker, what that exactly means. I just can't see anything in the rules that seem to clearly explain it. Is it any yellow token on urban buildings and farms/mines? Is it military units?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the smaller of your workers and happy faces. In other words, if you have 4 happy faces and 6 workers you have 4 Content workers. If you have 4 happy faces and 3 workers you have 3 Content workers.

** EDIT ** OK - I completely botched this explanation. Let me try again.

Total workers = Content Workers + Discontent workers.

Discontent workers = difference between happy faces you have and happy faces you need (from the yellow bank track).

A worker is a yellow token NOT in your bank. It can be anywhere.

So...

If I have 12 workers, need 4 happy faces, but only have 3 happy faces, I have one Discontent worker. So I have 11 Content workers.

Sorry about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
It's the smaller of your workers and happy faces. In other words, if you have 4 happy faces and 6 workers you have 4 Content workers. If you have 4 happy faces and 3 workers you have 3 Content workers.

Wow interesting. Don't think I ever would have came up with that. Makes sense now though. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I'm confused again. I remember now that I thought it was potentially tied to happy faces, but the confusion came because Impact of Population says you get 2 points per Content Worker "above 10". When or how do you have more than 10, if the max smiley faces you can have is 8?

Edit: Oh, are you allowed/supposed to still add up smileys beyond 8 for purposes like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Actually I'm confused again. I remember now that I thought it was potentially tied to happy faces, but the confusion came because Impact of Population says you get 2 points per Content Worker "above 10". When or how do you have more than 10, if the max smiley faces you can have is 8?

I think it is this:

Do you have a yellow dot moved down to cover one of your happy faces so that you can still produce this turn? Ok, then he is a discontent worker. All other workers are content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WyantJM wrote:
Holmes108 wrote:

I think it is this:

Do you have a yellow dot moved down to cover one of your happy faces so that you can still produce this turn? Ok, then he is a discontent worker. All other workers are content.

Workers are the yellow dots. Smiley faces are your happiness level. You can sacrifice a worker to increase your happiness level by 1. This worker does not count as a content worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:

That doesn't seem right. The number of happy faces you need grows much slower than population-- early in the game you can get four new workers and only need one additional happy face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the bottom of page 14: "If you do not have enough Happy Faces to keep everyone happy, then you have 1 Discontent Worker for every Happy Face you need to make up the difference."

(Incidentally, this answers the question of whether you have discontent workers if you lost tokens from your yellow bank but haven't had a turn since; placing workers on the missing happy faces is just a method of tracking them, and makes sure you don't use them accidentally.)

The simplest method is to count all of your yellow tokens outside of your bank as content, and subtract the number of discontent workers. For Impact of Population, you can just count your workers that are not on the happiness track as content, as long as you would not be in a state of uprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenV wrote:
From the bottom of page 14: "If you do not have enough Happy Faces to keep everyone happy, then you have 1 Discontent Worker for every Happy Face you need to make up the difference."

(Incidentally, this answers the question of whether you have discontent workers if you lost tokens from your yellow bank but haven't had a turn since; placing workers on the missing happy faces is just a method of tracking them, and makes sure you don't use them accidentally.)

The simplest method is to count all of your yellow tokens outside of your bank as content, and subtract the number of discontent workers. For Impact of Population, you can just count your workers that are not on the happiness track as content, as long as you would not be in a state of uprising.

That's what I said (or at least that's what I meant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - I completely botched this explanation. Let me try again.

Discontent workers = difference between happy faces you have and happy faces you need (from the yellow bank track).

So...

If I have 12 workers, need 4 happy faces, but only have 3 happy faces, I have one Discontent worker. So I have 11 Content workers.

Sorry about that...

I edited the above explanation to correct it. That's what happens when I dash something off at work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules make this way harder than it is by calling them "discontent workers." I think of them as entertainers (from Civ 1/Civ 2): For each unhappy face you have uncovered, you need a happy face to match it. If you don't have enough, you need enough built yellow tokens that don't have a job to make up the difference. If you don't have enough of these, you get civil disorder (which is bad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
OK - I completely botched this explanation. Let me try again.

So...

Sorry about that...

I edited the above explanation to correct it. That's what happens when I dash something off at work!

Sounds good. Thanks for clarifying again. I guess my main question was whether EVERY yellow token outside of the bank count, such as military units etc.. (which you answered). So I think I have it.

Edit: I think part of my confusion was that when I was taught the game I was told that the "workers" become "buildings" once they're placed on a technology, which in a sense is correct, and not a bad way to think about it. But after that point, It caused me to never really think of them as workers again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Edit: I think part of my confusion was that when I was taught the game I was told that the "workers" become "buildings" once they're placed on a technology, which in a sense is correct, and not a bad way to think about it. But after that point, It caused me to never really think of them as workers again.

Really what they become when placed on a tech card is buildings-staffed-by-workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.